THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

Nice grown up conversation in here. Question though, are you guys selling the majority of your collection because of financial reasons? I’ve been collecting sneakers since 2001 and I have about 250 pairs and I STRUGGLE to wear 1/8th of my collection. The majority of my collection is AF1s, air max 1s, then AJ1s and Dunks. I hardly where any of my “high price/value sneakers”. I been through the phase of selling half my collection only to rebuy and start up my collecting again. I’m 37, married, wife is pregnant, own my home (4/2.5, w/pool), well traveled, office job (business casual) but I still love buying shoes even if they just sit in the box in my sneaker room. Do I have a problem :ohwell:

Last edited:
I think I brought it up before, but the straight-to-the-point version of the story is that I made a big U-turn/"undo" by getting the Kasinas back.

I sold my Kasina AM1s after buying all the Color of the Month AF1s from the Black Friday sale. Originally wanted just the all-white ones, but bought the other 5 colors because of the sales. They were nice shoes, but it was a questionable decision and I just ultimately copped all of them because it was a sale (bad move). The day after I sold it, I started regretting it big time. Decided to buy them both back and got rid of the AF1s. Thank goodness these don't have resale value. Lesson learned - cop something you want when it's on sale, but don't cop something BECAUSE there is a sale. :lol:

Still really thinking back on why I did that considering how much I loved these since the jump and it's personally my favorite set of sneakers for 2022.

52582619694_8a3c024a0d_b.jpg

52581894747_f380ba9f47_b.jpg
You always think quantity over quality. I’m guilty of that for sure.

Kasinas are so nice. Keep going back and forth on the orange pair because of I have the monarches and pecan ducks but they're just so nice. And then being cheap isn't helping.

Nice grown up conversation in here. Question though, are you guys selling the majority of your collection because of financial reasons? i have about 250 pairs and I STRUGGLE to wear 1/8th of my collection. The majority of my collection is AF1s, air max 1s, then AJ1s and Dunks. I hardly where any of my “high price/value sneakers”. I been through the phase of selling half my collection only to rebuy and start up my collecting again. I’m 37, married, wife is pregnant, own my home (4/2.5, w/pool), well traveled, office job (business casual) but I still love buying shoes even if they just sit in the box in my sneaker room. Do I have a problem :ohwell:

I apologize for the long post since it's a bit of a story, but I'll answer your "problem" question first. It's a problem if it consumes your life and affects your relationships with friends/family negatively. If you enjoy collecting and everything about sneakers while keeping all other aspects of your life outside at a solid state, then you're good! It's really a matter of balance that some people have certain preferences to. Something not a lot of people will see/mention is to remember why you enjoy shoes. If you're doing it just to flex on IG and you need to keep that high going, there's a bigger problem beyond shoes itself.

For the financial part: I'll be completely honest and open (enough) about it.
  • From 2008 - mid-2017: yes, but only because I couldn't afford to keep some shoes while wanting other shoes. Never was it ever for the Four Walls (food, utilities, shelter and transportation).
  • From mid-2017 - mid-2019: kind of. Didn't worry much about money but enjoyed the peace from having less shoes after a road trip and getting away from mess/clutter.
  • From mid-2019 onwards: barely - it's mostly for collection/peace maintenance. Burned half my savings while being unemployed and still buying shoes, so I learned from my coworker about decluttering and financial literacy from my coworker. Now I sell shoes using the "one in, one out" rule. For financial reasons, it's now for financial goals rather than to cover for the struggle.
[EDIT - shortened my post to answer the "financial reasons" question. Original post in spoilers tag.]

For the financial part: I'll be completely honest and open (enough) about it and say that up to a certain time in one way or another, yes. CliffNote version: from when I started collecting to mid-2017, yes. 2017-2019, kinda, and then 2019 to now, barely. I won't front - for many years, I sold shoes because I couldn't afford to keep it and wanted other shoes at the same time, but I didn't sell it because I had to sell to maintain any of the Four Walls (food, utilities, shelter and transportation)... other than overdrafting once. :lol:

I sold a chunk of my collection in mid-2017 because I felt what being at peace was like before I got back home to my 60+ pairs of shoes sitting in my room being a mess and space-hogger, but money was starting to become a lesser reason.

It wasn't until I went unemployed for 7 months straight from late 2018-2019 and I still spent money on shoes, leading me to lose half my savings like crazy. When I finally got a job, I was chillin and chattin with my coworker one day about how I was trying to get out of shoes and she told me about this thing called "decluttering" and how exposure encourages spending money on shoes. After that and doing it, it then led to personal finance lessons, and all that changed my life.

Now because of what I learned, my rule of thumb is "one in, one out" - one new pair means one current pair has to go. Money mattered WAAAAY less since then, because finance literacy just took it up a whole new level for me. Financial goals became the forefront and I was saving like crazy since learning from her, which is now what I sell my shoes for if money was a reason. After what I went through while unemployed, I was like "this is not happening to me again." It's also insane and scary as hell how many people do not even have savings, which is something I learned early this year.

Last edited:
Nice grown up conversation in here. Question though, are you guys selling the majority of your collection because of financial reasons? I’ve been collecting sneakers since 2001 and I have about 250 pairs and I STRUGGLE to wear 1/8th of my collection. The majority of my collection is AF1s, air max 1s, then AJ1s and Dunks. I hardly where any of my “high price/value sneakers”. I been through the phase of selling half my collection only to rebuy and start up my collecting again. I’m 37, married, wife is pregnant, own my home (4/2.5, w/pool), well traveled, office job (business casual) but I still love buying shoes even if they just sit in the box in my sneaker room. Do I have a problem :ohwell:
No, we all have the same problem, I think we buy shoes just to buy them. The high value shoes, we can't stomach messing them up or wearing them so we go to the average priced pairs aka beaters. For example, if you're going to 7-11 for a quick snack run, you're probably wearing the beaters or slides. You're not wearing the Patta's....lol

I apologize for the long post since it's a bit of a story, but I'll answer your "problem" question first. It's a problem if it consumes your life and affects your relationships with friends/family negatively. If you enjoy collecting and everything about sneakers while keeping all other aspects of your life outside at a solid state, then you're good! It's really a matter of balance that some people have certain preferences to. Something not a lot of people will see/mention is to remember why you enjoy shoes. If you're doing it just to flex on IG and you need to keep that high going, there's a bigger problem beyond shoes itself.

For the financial part: I'll be completely honest and open (enough) about it and say that up to a certain time in one way or another, yes. CliffNote version: from when I started collecting to mid-2017, yes. 2017-2019, kinda, and then 2019 to now, barely. I won't front - for many years, I sold shoes because I couldn't afford to keep it and wanted other shoes at the same time, but I didn't sell it because I had to sell to maintain any of the Four Walls (food, utilities, shelter and transportation)... other than overdrafting once. :lol:

I sold a chunk of my collection in mid-2017 because I felt what being at peace was like before I got back home to my 60+ pairs of shoes sitting in my room being a mess and space-hogger, but money was starting to become a lesser reason.

It wasn't until I went unemployed for 7 months straight from late 2018-2019 and I still spent money on shoes, leading me to lose half my savings like crazy. When I finally got a job, I was chillin and chattin with my coworker one day about how I was trying to get out of shoes and she told me about this thing called "decluttering" and how exposure encourages spending money on shoes. After that and doing it, it then led to personal finance lessons, and all that changed my life.

Now because of what I learned, my rule of thumb is "one in, one out" - one new pair means one current pair has to go. Money mattered WAAAAY less since then, because finance literacy just took it up a whole new level for me. Financial goals became the forefront and I was saving like crazy since learning from her, which is now what I sell my shoes for if money was a reason. After what I went through while unemployed, I was like "this is not happening to me again." It's also insane and scary as hell how many people do not even have savings, which is something I learned early this year.
I echo the same, if it consumes your life and it impacts you and your loved ones negatively it's def a problem. If you're living paycheck to paycheck with no savings, it's a problem. If you're buying yourself more than your own kids, it's a problem. There's another side to this too such as accumulating debt, if you're just charging that card and paying the minimum, forget the resale price you just paid...you're paying 3x or more with interest over time. But I'm glad the conversation is had whether it's brought on by the holidays or just pure reflection.

I personally don't look at it like it's a problem as long as you're not taking a loss financially. Meaning if you were to sell all the shoes you own today, you'd either get back every dime you spent to acquire the shoes or more than what you paid

Got a little Christmas luck today. Went to the Watts outlet store to shop for the kids with the wifey. Per usual I had to stroll the rack to see if I find anything other than Lebrons and Monarch’s.

Came across Pecan’s in a size 11 (I’m a 11.5 tts) at retail..with the 30% off + 15% first time Nike app user (courtesy of wifey) I picked them up for $95 and some change. 👍🏼

I know I sold majority of my shoes because of finances when we knew we were had our first kid and we decided that I would be the one to work, while my wife raised our kids. I too am 37, married with two kids. I work in the public sector and the dress code is business casual. So I don't really get a lot of wear with my sneakers. I don't think you have a problem. You have a budget that supports your hobby.

And IMO it all comes down to the person and their shoes. As long as you're financially responsible, then enjoy it.

I definitely need to downsize.... HOWEVER :emoji_laughing: , did anyone take advantage of the CentreTX's offer for 50% off for their Black Friday delays? I saw the Ironstones and Honeydews for $80, but I got caught up with work. Now, they're sold out.
Damn. That’s all I’ve been waiting for is a deal for honeydews around $140 shipped. Hopefully these after Christmas deals bless us. If not, I’ll probably just cave and cop from NDC full pop.

Fits much better with the half size up, and i put another set of laces i had. Almost match so amazing imo.
9E5CE7B4-918E-4569-8809-2BF48198155D.jpeg

F255D3CE-556E-4376-BD12-C3BB1A6C6E90.jpeg
I have received the pecans today. For me they are a little bit more snug than my Patta Dark Russet, Dirty Denims and Hemp Crepes, but half size up will be too loose for me with thin socks. Love that color of your laces. Way better than the yellow. Is it a standard beige color laces or were they coming with an other sneaker?

I have received the pecans today. For me they are a little bit more snug than my Patta Dark Russet, Dirty Denims and Hemp Crepes, but half size up will be too loose for me with thin socks. Love that color of your laces. Way better than the yellow. Is it a standard beige color laces or were they coming with an other sneaker?
Nah they come from a company that in europe outsole.nl that sells a ton of laces. Its the khaki colorway.

Oh yeah nothing new, amazed by the quality but have to send those back, im in the group who have to half size up. Second pair with the « correct » size on the way
F31F92F0-5017-42E1-A21B-CD0F7723BE0B.jpeg
Is the yellow more muted in person? Yellow ochre remind me of an egg yolk

No, we all have the same problem, I think we buy shoes just to buy them. The high value shoes, we can't stomach messing them up or wearing them so we go to the average priced pairs aka beaters. For example, if you're going to 7-11 for a quick snack run, you're probably wearing the beaters or slides. You're not wearing the Patta's....lol

lemme jump in this sneaker therapy session:

This is totally me. I'm in the 300+ range and have tons of "heat", but it's always the same pairs im reaching for.

Rain sneakers: jordan 11 gammas, onyx RF yeezy 380s

Work: Navy blue Nike daybreaks, might throw in some waverunners

Theres something peaceful and zen like in just grabbing a pair of sneakers and going on with you day not worrying about value, weather conditions, or not wanting to mess them up. It also doesnt help that sneakers have turned into a quasi asset class so there's the incentive to keep things DS.

I rock some "razzle dazzle" pairs to work from time to time which always stirs up conversation, but I'm not making a dent in unDSing the rest of the stash. My storage unit is busting at the seams and my guest room has become a supplemental unit... It's crazy and sometimes i even forget what I have lol.. plus I got other things I'm into (I'm looking at you Polo) and it just becomes alot after a while.

But like some people have said before, boredom, discretionary income, and the love of sneakers are a recipe for the perfect storm. Now I got DS kicks that I know are probably gonna crumble like coffee cake if I attempt to put them on and trying to find certain pairs when you need them to complete that special fit becomes a nightmare.

Long story short, work on your willpower, practice semen retention and stay the F away from NT and social media if you want to survive cause the moment you buy a few pairs, you'll be plotting on storage rentals in no time

Heed the warning, be safe beloveds

I think that’s where having a smaller collection pays off, I wear everything. There’s not a single dead stock pair in my closet (except the Honeydews cuz they arrived yesterday in the middle of Chicagos jacked up cold and snow lmao.) I wouldn’t get **** back if I sold my collection because I wear everything. Of course there’s some pairs I don’t wear unless I know it’s gonna be nice weather, but everything gets beat up eventually, and I’m cool with that.

So proud of you guys in here. First step is admitting you have a problem.

Just need to stop buying crap just to buy it. Seems like the AM1 crowd would cop anything as long as it’s mediocre.

Told myself long ago I’ll never buy a shoe unless I am in love with them.

Think the only AM1’s I got this year were the Pattas, Concepts and pecans.

Back
Top Bottom