THE OFFICIAL AIR MAX 1 THREAD

IMG_0898.jpeg

These were my favorite GR from that time period, wore them completely down. I think we only got the JDI that had JDI print all over it or the whole shoe was safety orange or something like that.
I overpaid resale off ebay for these. I might have to rebuy off goat/stockx or something again, but I don't see too many out there

IIRC Nike used to use an open cell foam that was squishier and more comfortable on their shoes in the 80s. The only problem is it wore out and crumbled faster, so they switched to polyurethane.

Yes, that's my understanding as well. Back then we didn't collect or store our sneakers. It was largely one pair per school year and we beat the crap out of them; there was no need to worry about materials deteriorating. Back then Jordans and AMs were the most comfortable sneakers you could get and considered premium.

I wish Nike would proto these to look the same but with modern (super)foam.

Damn, this picture made me buy these just now lol.
I went up half a size thinking they'd be narrow because W shoe, hope that wasn't a mistake

Hope you were ablw to swoop on discount!

You should be good. They do run a bit narrow — the canvas toebox feels a bit constricting but that’s probably I haven’t worn them enough to break them in

These were my favorite GR from that time period, wore them completely down. I think we only got the JDI that had JDI print all over it or the whole shoe was safety orange or something like that.
I overpaid resale off ebay for these. I might have to rebuy off goat/stockx or something again, but I don't see too many out there

You can actually get pretty damn close on NBY right now for about half the going price of the OG JDI pair just using grey suede and mesh, a white leather swoosh and that picante red :nerd:

(LATE EDIT: The color of the JDI was "pure platinum," btw, which is what's available on NBY now. Not sure if the mesh was white or pure platinum on the OGs, though.)

Nike-By-You.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 3.31.28 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 3.32.58 PM.png

Last edited:
I feel the same way. In fact, I like the BB so much that the "normal" model looks so pathetic to me now. I recall back in the day when I had the OGs (red) thinking that bubble was so freak'n amazing and massive, and I could feel it compress. Frankly I don't recall if I had the BB version or the revised bubble. Hate that 1s are bricks on feet now and got rid of all of my 1s except for my BBs.

Obsidians look amazing but I passed since I'm really trying to limit stacking boxes as I already have so many that I only get to wear on occasion. Actually like that colorway better, but the reds have massive nostalgia as they were the first air max I had back in the day.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but I guess it saves a lot of money as there are so many great colorways of the 1s that are constantly available!

I like both versions, but to me the '86 has a better profile shape, and I'm not bothered at all by the rounder toe box. I also like the materials and little details better than what's on most GR AM1s these days. The pair of white/black/reds I've been wearing don't feel like bricks to me, but they definitely aren't bouncy or soft like, say, the Infrared 90 etc retros from just a few years back.
I actually hit on the white/red BBs when they dropped, but I ended up selling them because the pair I got had a slightly messed up toe on one of the shoes. I was bummed, but I have so many dang shoes that I didn't bother replacing them. I really have no need for the Obsidians I just bought, other than I think they look so good--and with pairs still available for retail pricing, I figured I better grab them now before it's too late and I regret it. Of course, this philosophy is one of the reasons I end up buying a lot of stuff that I should know I barely have time to wear :lol:
But these BB Obsidians are going to be worn with the quickness, and frequently.

Back
Top Bottom