The official chicago bears season thread

training camp is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LETS GET IT 13-3 BEAR DOWN!!!!!!

1 Sun, Sep 9
vs
Indianapolis
1:00 PM CBS Tickets
2 Thu, Sep 13
@
Green Bay
8:20 PM NFL Tickets
3 Sun, Sep 23
vs
St. Louis
1:00 PM FOX Tickets
4 Mon, Oct 1
@
Dallas
8:30 PM Tickets
5 Sun, Oct 7
@
Jacksonville
4:05 PM FOX Tickets
6 BYE WEEK
7 Mon, Oct 22
vs
Detroit
8 Sun, Oct 28
vs
Carolina
9 Sun, Nov 4
@
Tennessee
10 Sun, Nov 11
vs
Houston
8:20 PM NBC Tickets
11 Mon, Nov 19
@
San Francisco
12 Sun, Nov 25
vs
Minnesota
13 Sun, Dec 2
vs
Seattle
14 Sun, Dec 9
@
Minnesota
15 Sun, Dec 16
vs
Green Bay
16 Sun, Dec 23
@
Arizona
4:25 PM FOX Tickets
17 Sun, Dec 30
@
Detroit

Extra points: Receiver Brandon Marshall on Jay Cutler telling him where to park his car at the training camp dorm: "He tells me what to do on a lot of things. He thinks he's my father.'' … Defensive tackle Matt Toeaina continues to wear a cast on his right hand after breaking it during offseason workouts. … Former Bears running back Adrian Peterson is assisting with coaching the running backs this week. … Former Bears quarterback Jim Miller will be the television analyst for three of the team's four exhibitions

Bears tackling expectations head on
July, 24, 2012
Jul 24
9:31
PM CT
By Melissa Isaacson | ESPNChicago.com

BOURBONNAIS -- While Chicago Bears first-year general manager Phil Emery talked methodically about Phase I and Phase II of the transition period; joked about the upgrade in housing from when he was an area scout, complete with couch and easy chair; and reflected on an offseason that may even give him the right to sit back in that easy chair; Lovie Smith stepped into the hot white glare of expectation Tuesday.

Entering the last year of his contract and given a roster heading into training camp that everyone, including his players, is saying is of Super Bowl quality, Smith does not have the luxury to talk about Phase I, Phase II or least of all, furniture.

But just when you expected Smith, in his usual stoic manner, to do his usual job of deflecting what everyone really wants to know, he actually heaped even more of a burden on his team in his opening press conference under the gazebo at Olivet Nazarene University.

"As we look at our roster coming into camp," Smith said, "it looks about as good as it has since I've been here. We realize that, we embrace that. We have a good football team. . . . "

Brandon Marshall - WR - Bears
Brandon Marshall insists he's the most focused he's ever been in his NFL career entering his debut season with the Bears.

"I'm focused ... (the) most focused I've ever been in my professional career," said Marshall. "Very excited, but at the same time, ready to get the job done." Marshall made it through a full offseason without a negative off-field situation for the first time in quite a while. He's also the healthiest he's been since his rookie year. We love him as a WR2 in fantasy leagues this season.
Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

Zach Zaidman ‏@ZachZaidman
Walter Payton was born 58 years ago today. happy birthday sweetness

Brandon Marshall - WR - Bears
Brandon Marshall insists he's the most focused he's ever been in his NFL career entering his debut season with the Bears.

"I'm focused ... (the) most focused I've ever been in my professional career," said Marshall. "Very excited, but at the same time, ready to get the job done." Marshall made it through a full offseason without a negative off-field situation for the first time in quite a while. He's also the healthiest he's been since his rookie year. We love him as a WR2 in fantasy leagues this season.
Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter

He better stay focused... I NEED him, Jay, & Matt locked iand healthy n all year.

He better stay focused... I NEED him, Jay, & Matt locked iand healthy n all year.
Cake in a bears thread? Somebody stole his username on the way over to the new NT damn :smh: :lol:

This has to be our year we have to protect jay if we can do that we can win it all

:lol: you know damn well I was in the Bears thread last year... sparringly but I was there.
with these two post in here you already doubled the amount of post from last year :lol:

Alshon Jeffery quietly strolled out of his dorm room Tuesday afternoon, soaking in his new surroundings and towering over the Olivet Nazarene University students walking around campus.

The Bears hope their rookie wide receiver stands tall on the football field, too.

"I’m just looking forward to this experience," Jeffery said, referring to his first training camp. "I’m just looking forward to going out there and doing my best."

The Bears traded up five spots in April’s draft to select Jeffery in the second round. General manager Phil Emery viewed the 6-foot-3, 216-pound South Carolina product as a big, dynamic athlete capable of making life easier on quarterback Jay Cutler.

During a conference call with season-ticket holders Tuesday evening, Cutler raved about his new weapon and mentioned how "great" Jeffery  performed during the offseason. But Jeffery understands he has much more to accomplish before the season begins.

"I just was going out there working hard and learning the plays so I could come (to camp) and play faster," Jeffery said. "And I want to stay healthy."

Jeffery said the leg cramps that sidelined him for most of minicamp is no longer an issue. He could emerge as the ideal complement to No. 1 receiver Brandon Marshall, depending on how quickly Jeffery is able to absorb new offensive coordinator Mike Tice’s playbook.

Cutler explained his thoughts on how the Bears could get the most out of the rookie receiver.

"Less is more with him," Cutler said. "We're going to put him in positions where he can be successful ... not a lot of thinking where he can just go out and play football and play fast. Whenever you start putting these guys in positions where they've got to move around, where they've got to think a lot, it just slows them down. They already have enough on their plates."

The addition of Marshall instantly upgraded the offense. A player such as Jeffery is the reason the receiving corps could be the best the Bears have seen in years, with Earl Bennett and Devin Hester also expected to be big contributors.

"Alshon is going to be a guy where we just kind of throw him in there and let him do what he's naturally capable of doing, which is go up and get the ball, get out of breaks quick and just try to find ways where he doesn't have to think much," Cutler said. "He can just help us in different ways."

BOURBONNAIS -- Brian Urlacher reported to his 13th Chicago Bears training camp healthy and enthusiastic.

The veteran linebacker said his left knee, which was sprained in the final game of last season, feels good and he is ready to start practicing “as far as I know.”

Asked if he will be participating in every practice, he said, “Every practice they let me go I’ll be going. (Coach) Lovie (Smith) gives us days off sometimes when we don’t expect them. We’ll see how that goes.”

Urlacher is excited to get started in part because he believes the Bears have potential.

“I think we have the talent now to reach our expectations,” he said. “We always say it, but I really think we can do it this year.  We added Brandon Marshall, Michael Bush. Our defense is healthy again, which is a big deal for us. Jay (Cutler) is back healthy.”

Urlacher would like to see more consistency out of that healthy defense.

“We’ve been up and down last couple years,” he said. “We always get takeaways. We are always pretty good at sacks.  Sometimes we’ll give up 150 yards rushing, 100 yards passing.  We have to be consistent in both the running game and passing game.”

He also has renewed faith in the offense.

“Offensively I think we’ll be able to throw with Brandon now,” he said. “If we can protect the quarterback we’re going to be alright.”

The training camp routine can get old for veterans like Urlacher. And this training camp probably will get old soon enough.

For now, though, Urlacher feels like he is in a good place.

“It’s exciting now because everything is new,” he said. “Everyone is zero and zero right now so it’s fun at the beginning. It kind of drags on. With the new rules it’s a little easier because we have days off, so it’s nice.”

Knox placed on PUP list
Injured wide receiver says he's improving

Ads by Google
Mitt Romney and BainTurning around failing businesses Get the facts about Obama’s attacks www.MittRomney.com

RELATED

Photos: Bears report to training camp

Cutler would profit from strong 2012

Hester's cousin remains a fugitive

Jennings bounces back

Clutts looking to carve out spot in Tice system
See more stories »
MAPS
Olivet Nazarene University, 1 University Ave, Bradley, IL 60914, USA
Soldier FIELD, 1410 S Museum Campus Dr, Chicago, IL 60605, USA
1920 Football Dr, Lake Forest, IL 60045, USA
Ads by Google
Keller Graduate School
Prepare For Success w/ Keller's Accounting Master's Degree.
www.Keller.edu
Truth About Scientology
You’ve heard the controversy. Now Get The Facts. Watch Online Videos!
Scientology.org
By Brad Biggs, Chicago Tribune reporter
7:22 p.m. CDT, July 25, 2012

BOURBONNAIS — The Bears made a move anticipated for months when they placed Johnny Knox on the active-physically unable to perform list Wednesday, meaning the wide receiver failed his physical.

Knox is not eligible to practice until he's elevated from the PUP list, something that can happen at any point before the start of the regular season. He still is recovering from spinal fusion surgery that was required after a devastating hit Dec. 18 against the Seahawks.

It's impossible to say if Knox will play this season but the fourth-year veteran said he's improving.

"I don't have that same burst that I used to have, but that's to be expected with this injury," he said. "But I'm jogging and moving around pretty good.

"There's really no timetable. We're all taking our time on this. They're not rushing me, I'm not rushing myself. This was a serious injury, so we're all taking our time on this. Right now, I'm setting small goals, taking a little bit at a time. At first, I knew it was going to be hard to run. But now I'm running better than I thought I would. I'm getting my weight back a little more, doing heavier weights in the weight room. So doing good."

With speed such a vital part of Knox's game, it might be difficult for the Bears to elevate him to the active roster during the season. If Knox still is on the list when the season begins, he will have to be inactive for at least the first six weeks.

After that, the Bears would have three weeks in which he could begin practicing before a determination on his eligibility would have to be made. The good thing for him right now is that clock doesn't have to start until early November.

Emery's stamp: Looking for an imprint from new general manager Phil Emery during training camp? It could be the conditioning tests players had to take Wednesday afternoon in 99-degree heat.

It's the first time in nine summers under coach Lovie Smith the Bears have had a mandatory running test at the start of camp. Emery was a strength and conditioning coach in college before he became a pro scout. No word yet if every player received a passing grade.

Rookie success: Jay Cutler has had success with rookie wide receivers before, throwing to Eddie Royal in 2008 when the Broncos' draft pick made 91 catches for 980 yards. Royal is a different type of player than Bears' second-round pick Alshon Jeffery but the quarterback thinks he knows what the key is to a promising first season for the South Carolina product.

"Less is more with him," Cutler said. "We're going to put him in positions where he can be successful. ... Whenever you start putting these guys in positions where they have to move around, where they have to think a lot, it just slows them down. They already have enough on their plates."

Jeffery is a big body at 6-foot-3, 216 pounds, and the club has talked about using him as a weapon in the red zone.

"We'll throw him in there and let him do what he's naturally capable of doing, which is go up and get the ball, get out of breaks quick," Cutler said. "He can help us in different ways."

The Bears have made the mistake of overloading rookie receivers in the past, one of the reasons Earl Bennett's growth was stunted in 2008 when he barely got on the field. The club forced him to learn all three receiver positions at once and that was too much for any player.

Extra points: Middle linebacker Brian Urlacher says his knee is feeling good and he only will be on the sideline for the occasional veteran days off that Smith puts into the schedule. … Tyler Clutts knows he faces a challenge to make the roster based on Mike Tice's preference in the past to use versatile tight ends and go without a fullback. "I want to show why they need to carry a fullback," Clutts said. … Bennett looks like he has added considerable upper body strength in the offseason.
Knox career as a bear is on the life support IMO a speed Wr with no speed is dead weight.he won't play this season at all and next year he will be fighting for a roster spot if not cut out right by the start of camp

Last edited:
When the Chicago Bears flirted with signing Kelvin Hayden a year ago, starting cornerback Tim Jennings lobbied for his old friend to "stay away," knowing Hayden could push him for a starting job.

Well, Hayden’s in town now. And he’s aiming for Jennings’ spot.

Hayden was asked if he thought he’d get a fair chance to win that starting job, with the Bears set to begin practice Thursday afternoon.

"That’s what they told me," he said. "Now, you’ve just got to go out there and show what you’ve got."

The former Illinois and Hubbard High School standout displayed his talent to the Bears years ago. In Super Bowl XLI as a member of the Indianapolis Colts, Hayden intercepted a pass by then-Bears quarterback Rex Grossman and returned it 56 yards for a game-changing touchdown.

It is safe to say Hayden won’t reminesce about the play much in front of his new teammates.

"When I first stepped in the building, guys were giving me a little bit of heat, but I think it was all out of fun," Hayden said. "I try to put that behind me because this team has all the right tools to be that (Colts) team."

Hayden always has had the tools to be an impact player, but injuries have marred his career. He was cut by the Colts after six seasons despite recording nine interceptions and three interception returns for touchdowns -- not counting the play in the Super Bowl. A neck injury ended Hayden’s days in Indianapolis.

Last season, Hayden caught on with the Atlanta Falcons as a nickel back and had two interceptions in eight games. Then a dislocated toe landed him on injured reserve.
Hayden missed a portion of offseason workouts after signing with the Bears but regained full strength in time for mini-camp last month.

"I want to say I felt back to normal in early April," Hayden said. "The rehab went well. Now it’s time to go."

Hayden signed for the veteran minimum of $825,000. The fact that the Bears will pay Jennings $3 million this season would indicate that he should be the starter regardless. Jennings simply solidified his status by having arguably the strongest offseason of any defensive player.

Yet Jennings knows the guy he used to play alongside in Indianapolis is looming in the background.

"Of course he’s going to push me," Jennings said of Hayden. "He’s a competitor. Not only is he pushing me, but I’m pushing Kelvin. I just like the fact that Kelvin is a good player and he can help us win, whether it’s playing nickel or corner."

Hayden could get a look at nickel back, where D.J. Moore remains the top guy. However, Hayden is not expected to get many reps at nickel during training camp.
The more corners the better I don't care who started on the other side of Tillman as long as they don't give up big plays But going forward we need to really start to draft CBs instead of SS and FS every year

Hello my fellow bears fans!

I can't wait like the rest of y'all

gotta package for ya...three night stay in Sheraton, game ticket and round trip airfare to October game vs Jacksonville $650...PM if interested...only three slots left

DT Price could be valuable piece

Bears general manager Phil Emery indicated Tuesday he was not finished adding pieces to the team's roster. On Thursday, he traded a 2013 draft pick — a seventh-rounder, according to a source — to the Buccaneers for defensive tackle Brian Price.

"This is a very talented player," Emery said. "When he came out in the draft, he was picked high in the second round (35th overall. Fits our system. Fits the 4-3. Very explosive player off the ball, very reactive.''

Before Price officially joins the Bears, he will have to pass a physical. Price had two surgical procedures to re-attach his hamstrings to his fractured pelvis more than a year ago, but is believed to be fully recovered. A source said Price struggled on the Bucs' conditioning test Thursday, however.

Last year he started 14 games and had three sacks despite not being completely healthy. He told the Tampa Tribune he never was more than 60 percent healthy last year.

Also of concern is Price's emotional state. His 30-year-old sister Bridget was killed in a car crash in May. Shortly after, Price collapsed at One Buc Place because of mental and physical exhaustion. He subsequently was hospitalized for four days.

"He has had a tough go of it with family issues, obviously with his sister passing away he has had a hard time in the transition,'' Emery said, "He's a player who needs a new home. We're excited to bring him to Chicago.''

After Price was released from the hospital, he got into a fight with Bucs rookie safety Mark Barron and was given permission to skip the rest of offseason workouts, including a mandatory minicamp.

The Bears need depth at defensive tackle behind projected starters Henry Melton and Matt Toeaina.

"You can't have too many good defensive linemen,'' coach Lovie Smith said. "As far as what position he'll play, we'll get him into the mix inside. That's about all I know right now.''

Back in action: Brian Urlacher returned to full practice for the first time since suffering ligament damage in his left knee in last season's finale. The linebacker participated in the entire session, as promised, and wore a knee brace.

"My knee felt fine before and after practice,'' Urlacher said. "The brace is different just because I never had worn one.''

Johnny Knox, who was placed on the active physically-unable to perform list as he recovers from spinal fusion surgery, was the only player held out of practice. Toeaina had full participation despite having his right hand heavily taped. Toeaina suffered a broken hand during offseason workouts and expects to have the cast removed Friday.

Extra points: Rookie tight end Evan Rodriguez made some solid catches. He admitted he struggled during minicamp. … D.J. Moore intercepted a pass in front of rookie receiver Alshon Jeffery during drills. … Both Jeffery and running back Kahlil Bell had fumbles. … Rookie defensive end Shea McClellin showed a nice burst while pressuring backup quarterback Jason Campbell during full-team drills.

Last edited:
Bears rookie Rodriguez impresses

Evan Rodriguez did his best Brandon impersonation Thursday: Brandon Marshall, not Manumaleuna.
Rodriguez, the rookie fourth-round draft pick from Temple, looked rather sure-handed while hauling in passes down the seam. He was as impressive as any rookie on the field on a rough first day of camp – at least for the offense.

``That’s my job,’’ Rodriguez said of catching the ball. ``It was exciting to be out there some with the first team. Just being on the field in general, right now it’s a learning process for me. I’m coming along slowly, but today was the first step. Tomorrow’s a new day.’’

Rodriguez, who admitted struggling miserably during minicamp, was wise to temper his enthusiasm. As promising as he looked Thursday behind Kellen Davis and Matt Spaeth, viewpoints could change if he stumbles during Friday’s afternoon practice. That’s why it’s important not to read too much into performances in the early stages of camp – like Marshall dropping a few balls or rookie receiver Alshon Jeffery fumbling after the catch.

Speaking of Jeffery, he was solid, outside of the fumble. At 6-foot-3, 216 pounds, he looked rather fluid.

``Thought he had a good day,’’ receiver coach Darryl Drake said of Jeffery. ``For everybody, there’s room for improvement. But I thought, for the first day, he did a good job. He’s really doing a good job of coming out of his breaks. He’s got a big body. As he learns to use that body consistently, then he’ll be a force to reckon with.’’

Defensive end Shea McClellin, the Bears’ first-round pick, was eased into the defense on Day 1. He spent most of the day observing behind fellow defensive ends Julius Peppers, Israel Idonije, Corey Wootton, and Chauncey Davis. McClellin did show a quick burst of speed while putting pressure on Jason Campbell during full-team drills. It will be interesting to see how much action McClellin gets against the first-team offense when the Bears put on the pads Saturday night.

Brandon Hardin, the third-round pick, played free safety alongside strong safety Craig Steltz with the second unit. Based on his body alone, Hardin looks like he could be a physical presence in the secondary.

Seventh-round pick Greg McCoy, a cornerback, fielded a few punts during special teams drills. And sixth-round pick Isaiah Frey, also a cornerback, has caught the eye of his veteran defensive teammates.

10 things to focus on during training camp

BOURBONNAIS — Watching the Bears open camp Thursday, I have some questions about player development, scheme and competition on Lovie Smith's roster. Here are 10 things to focus on through the exhibition schedule.

• There is no question Devin Hester has the lateral ability and vertical speed as a receiver to put pressure on opposing defenses, but how do the Bears plan on getting him the ball?

MATT BOWEN

Bio | Recent columns
RELATED

Sights and sounds of Chicago Bears camp

Photos: Bears at training camp

Tough 1st day for Bears offense at camp

In labor dispute, NFL messing with integrity of game

Price could be valuable piece
See more stories »
MAPS
Olivet Nazarene University, 1 University Ave, Bradley, IL 60914, USA
Soldier FIELD, 1410 S Museum Campus Dr, Chicago, IL 60605, USA
1920 Football Dr, Lake Forest, IL 60045, USA
Ads by Google
Buy Chicago Bears Gear
Shop ChicagoBears.Fanatics.com for Chicago Bears 2012 Gear.
ChicagoBears.Fanatics.com
Chicago Bears Tickets
Buy 2012 Bears Game Tickets! Choose Your Seats + Order Online
vividseats.com/ChicagoBears
Think alignment, personnel and pre-snap movement with Hester in three wide receiver sets as he's a player who can win on inside breaking routes and produce after the catch.

• Rookie defensive end Shea McClellin has the size/speed measurables to turn the corner and apply pressure to the quarterback, but that's not enough in the NFL. When the pads go on, McClellin has to focus on counter moves, hand placement and overall skill set to become a productive pro edge rusher.

• Getting Gabe Carimi back as the starter at right tackle is a major upgrade for this Bears' offensive line. Even with the competition at left tackle between J'Marcus Webb and Chris Williams, solidifying the right side is a key to protecting quarterback Jay Cuter.

The Bears can cover up one side of the line with play calling and protection schemes, but they must have a solid tackle to lean on. I think its Carimi.

• I don't doubt Major Wright's ability to play safety in the NFL. Wright can run, has enough range and will fill on the run in Smith's base schemes. However, his discipline and technique in the deep half must improve for him to become a consistent playmaker.

• I like cornerback Tim Jennings' toughness, his willingness to set the edge of the defense in Cover-2 and his reliance rely on technique in coverage.

Adding an experienced veteran to the mix in Kelvin Hayden will force some accountability from Jennings to compete daily. That's smart.

• Receiver Brandon Marshall has a top-five skill set and the Bears have multiple ways to utilize his talents — run stack looks, align him out of position in the slot, throw the 3-step game (slant) and use deep play-action. A true No. 1 receiver opens up play-calling possibilities.

• Tight end from a scheme perspective in offensive coordinator Mike Tice's offense will be interesting to watch. Look at matchups here between the numbers with Kellen Davis and don't forget about rookie Evan Rodriguez when the Bears use their Ace personnel (two receivers, two tight ends, one back). Rodriguez played with much more speed Thursday than I saw in minicamp and his conditioning has improved.

• With Matt Forte under contract and the addition of Michael Bush in the backfield, the Bears have two running backs who can run in-between the tackles and control the tempo of the game. Think power football in the NFL, plus the stretch and zone plays from one-back alignments. That still sells and leads to vertical opportunities in the passing game.

• Keep an eye on the pro transition of rookie wide receiver Alshon Jeffery. He has talent, but rookies can struggle early to beat press-coverage, separate on the deep ball and run clean routes.

• Marshall and cornerback Charles Tillman are the featured act to watch during one-on-ones. Even Thursday, with Tillman playing from an off-man position, was quality work between two veterans.

When the pads go on this weekend, expect both players to compete hard at the line of scrimmage. That's good football.

Figure fierce battle at left tackle

BOURBONNAIS — The Bears considered Gabe Carimi at left tackle for two padded practices a year ago.

The summer before that, then-line coach Mike Tice had the starting lineup for the offensive line set for the club's annual practice at Soldier Field, typically about a week into training camp.

If the pattern holds, expect the competition at left tackle to be decided sooner rather than later. The club opened practice Thursday at Olivet Nazarene University with J'Marcus Webb, the starter at the position a year ago, and Chris Williams splitting reps. Webb got the first crack but only because he ended the season at the spot a year ago.

While the temperature cooled down a bit from a scorching Wednesday, offensive coordinator Tice wants to keep both players in the furnace as he works through an evaluation process that truly will ramp up when full pads go on Saturday night.

"It's going to be a dogfight for those two guys," Tice said. "I'm not going to put up with any crap as far as turning guys free and not protecting the quarterback. We have too many athletes to not be able to throw the football explosively. There is going to be a competition and we're going to keep the heat on both of them. We want to see when we get in pads who's going to block our good pass rushers.

"They can both run block but we're not going to run the ball 50 times a game so you have to be able to protect. If you can't protect, you can't play for us."

Making a decision sooner gives the unit more time to gel. But if neither player steps forward, it will be difficult to crown a winner. Webb may have an edge because Tice moved Williams from left tackle to left guard after he suffered a hamstring injury in Week 2 of 2010. Until this offseason, Williams had not been back to left tackle, a sign that Tice wasn't interested in playing him there again. Frank Omiyale made 14 starts at left tackle in 2010 and Webb was there in 2011.

But Webb didn't play well enough to enter this season as the owner of a comfortable starting position, not with the sacks, penalties and mental errors that seemed to come in bunches at times. Fortunately for him, Tice said he believes the game begins to slow down for offensive linemen in their third season.

"There's not too much pressure," Webb said. "You put too much pressure on yourself and you start to over-think and make mistakes."

Webb is a little leaner and he has worked on improving his handwork to keep defenders off him. He also wants to correct a tendency to open his hips too much on his second step, shortening the corner for defensive ends. The Bears want him to remain squarer to the line of scrimmage.

Williams, the team's first-round draft pick in 2008, is a smoother athlete but he doesn't have the prototype frame of Webb. But he's comfortable back at the position after making 20 starts at left guard over the last two seasons. He says he's just getting back into the groove after missing half the season with a freak wrist injury.

"I am just here to work," Williams said. "The competition will take care of itself. I'm not really changing my approach to training camp at all."

The loser of the competition likely will become the swing tackle, the role Omiyale held a season ago.

Although many still wonder, Carimi is not an option to be moved to left tackle. He's not the athlete the team wants on the left side.

General manager Phil Emery, after the trade for defensive tackle Brian Price on Thursday, said "we're never going to rest on our roster." Who knows? Maybe the Bears are active looking for help on the offensive line but clubs don't discard quality pass protectors often.

The best option remains finding one that will work between Webb and Williams.

Bears' rookie WR Alshon Jeffery showing big-play potential

BOURBONNAIS | Alshon Jeffery has a voice soft as morning dew and when surrounded by media, seems terribly shy.

But gracious, can the Bears' wide receiver catch a football.

The 6-foot-3, 216-pound rookie from South Carolina drew countless “oohs,” “aahs” and “way to go rook!” at Thursday's opening practice in training camp.

Though it was a no-contact practice, the Bears' staff tested Jeffery often during the 2 ½-hour workout in wilting heat.

Veteran cornerbacks Charles Tillman and Tim Jennings took turns sticking to big-play acquisition Brandon Marshall and on Jeffery like sweat. But Jeffery was still able to shake them off, elevate high, or dive for the ball – and catch it.

“They're pretty good corners. They're both slot players and they're aggressive,” Jeffery said.

Marshall, however, had several drops but did show moments of greatness.

Afterward, Jennings remarked that Jeffery, a second-round draft pick, didn't look like a rookie.

“I'm just going out and trying to learn, trying to get better every day,” Jeffery said. “I'm pretty confident but I have to adjust to certain things a lot more and hit the playbook really hard.

“I'm trying to make plays.”

Wide receivers coach Darryl Drake already is a fan.

"His size, his ability to catch the football and run routes," Drake said for starters. "He does a great job of getting in and out of his breaks for his size.

"As he learns to use his body and body-up people, he's only going to get better."

Fans at the opening day of camp had plenty to cheer and hoot about.

New backup quarterback Jason Campbell threw hard and accurately in drills. Devin Hester looked frightfully good catching the ball and returning punts. Nearly every Adam Podlesh punt, with some pressure, soared 50 yards or more in the air.

Devin Thomas and Joe Anderson also looked smooth at wide receiver, rookie punter Ryan Quigley of Boston College boomed a couple that nearly left Bourbonnais' city limits, while Matt Forte and Kahlil Bell were strong running the ball.

“We've got one more day (Friday) without pads and then we'll see guys really bring it,” coach Lovie Smith said.

He's hoping Alshon Jeffery is among that group.

“If I'm marked and they knock me down, I'm just gonna get back up and try to make another play,” Jeffery said. “That's football.”

NOTES: The Bears on Thursday acquired 6-foot-1, 303-pound defensive tackle Brian Price in a trade with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for an undisclosed draft pick in 2013. Price was a second-round pick in the 2010 draft (35th overall), starting 14 of 20 games in two seasons

Haven't been this excited about an upcoming season in a long time. This squad has a legit chance to do something special. The NFC is loaded this year though.

Early signs point to Webb for Bears LT

BOURBONNAIS -- Coach Lovie Smith cracked that it is safe to say Jay Cutler will be the Bears' starting quarterback.

But the safety of Cutler is no joke and that is the focus of what is believed to be the only legitimate training camp battle for a starting job at Olivet Nazarene University. That competition took an unexpected turn Wednesday when Chris Williams, scheduled to practice with the starters at left tackle, was moved to right tackle.

Smith and everyone else involved who spoke on the matter said a decision has not been made. It is possible the club wanted someone to split time with right tackle Gabe Carimi to allow him to rest a little. He didn't return from surgery on his right knee until late May and he has taken nearly all starting reps since camp opened. But if Carimi really needed rest, he could be given the entire day off and Williams can't compete for the left tackle job on the right side.

Offensive coordinator Mike Tice said Tuesday that Williams would practice with the first team Wednesday but instead J'Marcus Webb, who started all 16 games there last season, spent the second consecutive day there. The players had been rotating days. Efforts to get Tice for comment were unsuccessful because the team allows assistant coaches to speak with media only one day per week.

"What some people think, I don't know about that," Smith said when asked if too much could be read into the competition being over? "We have a system and a rotation that we're looking at. We want to get a good look at everyone and that's what we're doing right now. What position are we talking about?"

Left tackle?

"We have a lot of things going on right now," Smith said. "We got our sixth practice in, so don't look into it too much right now. Except it's safe to say Jay is going to start at quarterback."

Webb said he does not believe the competition, which started in spring, has reached an end.

"Definitely not," he said. "This is day four of pads."

Williams is hopeful his shot at a starting job is not over because Carimi is entrenched on the right side and he's not going to unseat him.

"I don't know what is going on," said Williams, the Bears' first-round draft pick in 2008. "I just do what they tell me to do. I just came out and (Tice) said he wanted to work me on the right so I worked some on the right."

As line coach, Tice moved quickly to select a starting five the previous two summers, deciding the left tackle spot after two days of padded practices last year. Ideally, a decision will be made in advance of the Aug. 9 exhibition opener with the Broncos at Soldier Field. The more time the starting unit has to play together, theoretically the more fluid it should be.

Williams reported to camp in fine shape but signs all along have pointed to Webb keeping the job:

Foremost, Williams was the starting left tackle for Tice's first two games as line coach in 2010 before suffering a hamstring injury. He never has returned to the position after getting healthy until this offseason.

Tice and Smith both professed faith in Webb during the offseason. Webb is more of a prototypical left tackle but he was far too inconsistent in 2011 to enter camp as the unquestioned starter. Williams' presence, in the final year of his contract, should push him.

If the Bears didn't pull Webb from the position last season, why are they going to replace him now?

Whichever player does not win the starting left tackle job is expected to become the swing tackle. Webb played right tackle more recently, starting there in 2010. Williams last played right tackle in Week 12 of the 2009. Undrafted rookie free agent James Brown worked with the second team at left tackle.

"I feel I have been practicing pretty good," Williams said. "Just out here working, working on stuff every day. Every day is an adventure. Got something else to work on.

"I came to win the job. Whatever they decide to do is on them. No point in being pissed off about things you can't control."

Back
Top Bottom