THE OFFICIAL KOBE 9 THREAD ****** WHAT THE KOBE RELEASED ******** BHM RELEASE 1/19

Whats your favorite Kobe 9 Elite?

• Masterpiece

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • NRG Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NRG White

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Devotion (All-Star)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Inspiration

• Perspective

• Detail

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Showtime

• Superhero

• Fundamentals

• Influence

• Legacy

• Victory

• Strategy

• Christmas

• What the Kobe

• BHM

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
I think even if nike had just made low versions of the elites the exact same colorways on the popular ones they would have sold every pair. MPs, Details, and ASGs

I think even if nike had just made low versions of the elites the exact same colorways on the popular ones they would have sold every pair. MPs, Details, and ASGs
I actually considered having a seamstress making the Elites low. Pretty sure it can be done. But in the interest of having a more diverse sneaker repertoire (can't have ALL lows and mids lol), thought better of it.

You guys are never satisfied

It's always gonna be something... :rolleyes

Flyknit Highs are too high... Flyknit really isn't flyknit because of the fuse underneath... Why don't the HTMs release in the US... when are the FK lows coming... FK lows are coming but are too plain... $200? WTH?!?...

View media item 1008347
but everyone's entitled to their own voice and opinion... /:end rant.

Last edited:
I remember early on when the thread first started, people were worried that flyknit would be too soft/flexible for a basketball upper, and people were hoping that there'd be some type of reinforcement for playing in. Then after release and finding out the flyknit upper is fuse/TPU reinforced, people were complaining about how it's fake flyknit. Can't have it both ways :lol:

Quote:
I can sort of see where you're coming from, although to me the whole Kobe line has always been about performance first above all else, which Kobe himself has said multiple times, so it kinda gets to a point where if he found a formula that works so well for him, why mess with it too much. I wouldn't mind seeing Avar & Co. try to make some more different aesthetic choices from year to year in terms of things like the swoosh placement, shozoku placement, etc, just to switch up the overall look of the shoes a bit more, so I agree with you there. And I think you also gotta include the Huarache 2K4s, 2K5s, and Hyperdunks in the discussion too as being part of the Kobe line, even if they didn't have Kobe's name attached, since he was the main Nike athlete that they were intended to be designed for.

But Kobe, by all accounts, works very closely with Avar throughout the design process, and he's obviously most invested in the overall performance of his shoes. So I think if performance is the main focus and Kobe knows that something works very, very well for him, they're probably more prone to wanting to make tweaks rather than wholesale changes just for the sake of looks. I also think Kobe wanting to stick to a low-top silhouette and to keep it as light as possible over the years also kind of limits certain design choices that Avar probably has, even though Avar is clearly capable of a range of different designs from the Pennys to the foamposite/flightposite to the hyperdunk to the Kobe line now, etc. Maybe you can say he's gotten a bit predictable with the Kobe line over the years since the IVs, but the guy definitely knows how to design a great shoe.

Personally, I've never had a problem with the similarity of the silhouette over the years because it just works so well. Aside from the VIIs, I've never really had any significant comfort/fit /performance issues when I try on the newest Kobe, and I'm always excited about trying the newest model cuz I can pretty much assume they'll be a great fit. I can't really say that with much confidence about Lebron's line or KD's line on any given year, even though I like those lines for different reasons. For me the Kobe line's main legacy will first be about having some of the best performing/fitting basketball shoes ever.

As for retro potential, Nike still likes money right?
laugh.gif
If they're retroing other old basketball shoes, air maxes, etc, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Kobe retros will be coming someday, especially when it's the one of their longest running signature lines in their history. Kobes have always had more of a niche following over the years compared to something like Jordans or Lebrons, but there will definitely be a fan base interested in buying them up. I think the Prelude pack was just a first test of that.
right on.  i would've never thought i could ball in low tops until the V's (IV's did not fit me well).  turns out high's are overrated for ankle support.  it's that small little piece sticking out the side of the forefoot that gives it a tiny bit of extra base to prevent rolling your ankles.  i haven't worn hi's since to ball.  the light weight and court feel was amazing.  renewed excitement for bball shoes.

Man those Beethovens are clean.
pimp.gif

Would love to get a pair especially since I missed out on the Details, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

You guys are never satisfied

It's always gonna be something... :rolleyes

Flyknit Highs are too high... Flyknit really isn't flyknit because of the fuse underneath... Why don't the HTMs release in the US... when are the FK lows coming... FK lows are coming but are too plain... $200? WTH?!?...

View media item 1008347
but everyone's entitled to their own voice and opinion... /:end rant.

The fact that there is fuse under the flynit is the main reason why I'm laughing my *** off.

I like the lows and will get them, but prob only 1 pair. Anyone that buys more than one is just proving how powerful marketing is.

"Let's market this as a flynit shoe and let all the ppl think the shoe is actually better than EM"

Lol

Sometimes I just wonder if Nike throws **** together just to see if it will actually sell. 

Man, I definitely want a pair of fk lows, but that mrsp sucks. I'll prob get Beethovens though. MJs are pretty weak imo

Back
Top Bottom