The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

I have Lion (at least I think I do - I'm running on 10.6.8) and I NEED Cloud. I'm always in public places and I'm afraid that someone will snatch my MBP - either I catch an assault case or lose my laptop. 

Is there anyway of getting Cloud without having to upgrade to Mountain Lion? I've read that it decreases battery life...

Go ahead and upgrade. After an update im back to getting 7 hours

If i upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain lion will I have to reinstall software like final cut pro and photoshop or will they just carry over?

Last edited:
I've upgraded. Rather nice. Pretty much like lion, the huge noticeable thing is the notification bar on the side. Pretty cool, makes it seem a little like the iOS on iphone.

Can anyone help me out and tell me where I can cop a new battery for my mid-2010 MBP 15 inch? It says service battery on the bar icon and I don't feel like spending $200 on a new battery. Please dont mention eBay. I've been through that already :lol:

I bought Hyperdock the other day and love it. I've used Macs since 2003 and have Windows 7 at work. The 2 things I missed from Mac's that Windows 7 had were the dock item preview and snapping 2 windows so they are the same size and Hyperdock now does this for me. 

What note taking software do you guys use? I hear good things about Evernote and Circus Ponies Notebook.

Hey guys, I was thinking about recording my teacher's lectures & listening to them as another means of studying. My classes are about 75 minutes long. Would GarageBand on my MacBook do the trick, or can it not record that long?

Hey guys, I was thinking about recording my teacher's lectures & listening to them as another means of studying. My classes are about 75 minutes long. Would GarageBand on my MacBook do the trick, or can it not record that long?

Garageband will record for as long as you want. I would also like to suggest "audacity"; it's freeware that gives you simple audio editing features. It may you less resources than garageband.

Also, if you have a few extra bucks, this looked like a promising app, but I've never tried it.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/armadillo-audio-notes/id532223938?mt=12

I have Lion (at least I think I do - I'm running on 10.6.8) and I NEED Cloud. I'm always in public places and I'm afraid that someone will snatch my MBP - either I catch an assault case or lose my laptop. 

Is there anyway of getting Cloud without having to upgrade to Mountain Lion? I've read that it decreases battery life...

You don't have Lion. You have the latest version of Snow Leopard.

If i upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain lion will I have to reinstall software like final cut pro and photoshop or will they just carry over?

Most of my apps carried over except for little snitch and tunesart which doesn't quite work right.

Who has upgraded to Mountain Lion? Is it worth it? 

I'd say it's worth it for $20 (or free). The little features like notification center and new gestures are dope imo.

I have Lion (at least I think I do - I'm running on 10.6.
glasses.gif
and I NEED Cloud. I'm always in public places and I'm afraid that someone will snatch my MBP - either I catch an assault case or lose my laptop. 

Figured this out a couple of hours after posting in this thread after searching "iCloud 10.6.8" on google...

Will I need to upgrade (purchase) Lion and buy Mountain Lion as well? Or can I just run iCloud on Lion? (Probably a better idea since I've read that battery life decreases after upgrading to Mountain Lion)

Last edited:
I'm grabbing a MBP this weekend. I have to pay 600 and my dad is paying the rest.
To you guys with the 13" how are you liking it? I originally wanted the 15" and still do actually but they're crazy expensive. 1300 is my budget max. Never used a laptop under 15" so not too sure how much I'll like it

Figured this out a couple of hours after posting in this thread after searching "iCloud 10.6.8" on google...

Will I need to upgrade (purchase) Lion and buy Mountain Lion as well? Or can I just run iCloud on Lion? (Probably a better idea since I've read that battery life decreases after upgrading to Mountain Lion)

You can upgrade straight to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard or if you only want Lion to be able to use iCloud, you can too. I don't think you'll be able to get Lion from the App Store though, since they replaced it with ML. You might need to download it from somewhere else :nerd:

Last edited:
Last edited:
^ Thanks, looks simple and convenient. I'll check it out.

I just upgraded to ML, and I'm pretty sure there was a decrease in battery life. I think I read that they're working on a fix.

Back
Top Bottom