The Official NBA Season Thread: Happy Birthday WASHED KING

Please elaborate?

The game doesn’t look like the Jordan era or the Kobe era or the hacking era. A lot of the older generation doesn’t respect the new generation because they don’t do it like they do. People don’t want to grow. It’s dudes that hate 3 pointers when the number of jump shots over the years has not going up, just the distance of the shot

I've been critical of the on court product the past 2 years or so. Games seem like they've been more competitive this season but the past month or so the blowouts have been creeping back up
The difference in analysis between the NFL and NBA is night and day though. The NFL media does a great job hyping up talent and breaking down plays on shows and even the commentators in game. With the NBA it’s all about narratives and emotions. If the super bowl was covered like the NBA, you don’t see analysts saying stuff like “Jalen Hurts doesn’t have the clutch gene!!!”
If you're talking about TNT/ESPN probably yea. Nba TV is fine for the most part

I don't watch the NFL, but I think they have the better product than the NBA for fans.

Basketball is more fun to watch than American football, but in the NFL regular season games mattering way more, players try to play every game, and that the playoff match ups are one day each, makes it easy for fans.

And the fact most teams play on the same day of the week helps.

And yeah, the NFL has way better broadcasters. Mostly because the NBA's are so bad.

Being a basketball fan is a bigger time investment. And a lot of regular people like simple easy to follow ****.

The East is basically a 2 team race for those interested in dominance while the west is wide open with no clear favorite. There are probably 20 all NBA candidates right now. The injuries suck though.

I don't watch the NFL, but I think they have the better product than the NBA for fans.

Basketball is more fun to watch than American football, but in the NFL regular season games mattering way more, players try to play every game, and that the playoff match ups are one day each, makes it easy for fans.

And the fact most teams play on the same day of the week helps

And yeah, the NFL has way better broadcasters. Mostly because the NBA's are so bad.

Being a basketball fan is a bigger time investment. And a lot of regular people like simple easy to follow ****.
The NFL is just weird. There are like 5 great quarterbacks in a QB driven league and people still eat it up. The RB position is basically dead.

2 people almost died this season

If you sit down and watch the game from a “casuals” POV you’ll definitely notice how bad it is and quickly. Yea, you’ll always have your avid hardcore fans but when you aren’t able to pull in anyone new then it’s only a matter of time i.e. MLB. Buuuut the NBA isn’t down that bad.

The B2B argument is tired. I don’t wanna hear about an NBA player, who I’m told is a world class athlete but can’t play basketball two consecutive days in a row? It’s not like he’s playing in NYC on Monday then LA on Tuesday. He’s probably playing in Philly or Boston which is a quick plane ride away.

Overall the product is bad but it can definitely still be saved. Celtics rested everyone against the Bucks a game which any fan would want to see but going to play against the Pistons. This is the bs that needs to change.

As I’ve said before honestly the players and the FO’s are burning down the house together at this point.

And the fact most teams play on the same day of the week helps.

True. I don't play fantasy anymore but NFL was fun. NBA fantasy is damn near a part time job

Both of my younger brothers have gone from pretty avid NBA fans to casuals and have told me it’s for the exact reason you mention.

I don't think the owners, front office or fans want the six and seven year contracts in the league anymore.
This is where I don't know what the answer is - or if there even is one. Six and 7 year deals can kill you. But 4 and 5 year deals don't matter when a guy can just turn around and say "**** this trade me" and tank you anyways.

There needs to be less prohibitive methods for teams to pay and keep guys they've drafted and brought up in their orgs. Why are the Warriors paying HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS in luxury tax penalties for largely paying guys they've drafted and developed? From an organizational prospective, why are Steph, Klay, Dray, Poole subject to the same luxury tax penalties as Andrew Wiggins is or Kevin Durant was?

Why do teams have to wait until a guy is in free agency to offer a them their max deal? Why are contract escalators tied to nonsense that NOBODY INVOLVED IN THE CONTRACTS controls ie All-NBA, All-Star voting, MVPs, etc.

There's plenty of bad football and bad football teams rolling out every Sunday - and officiating sucks over there, too. And there's not really any more parity there than there is in the NBA.

But it's just flat out easier to consume. Less time commitment. Less roster turnover. Better television experience.

The NFL is just weird. There are like 5 great quarterbacks in a QB driven league and people still eat it up. The RB position is basically dead.
They ok, the NFL definitely has it's issues, but for a casual fan with a busy life, it is still easier to follow than the NBA.

Some of the advantages the NFL has is because of the culture prominence American football has built over many decades, but some of it is just that the fundamentals of the two leagues makes the NFL easier to get into.

They ok, the NFL definitely has it's issues, but for a casual fan with a busy life, it is still easier to follow than the NBA.

Some of the advantages the NFL has is because of the culture prominence American football has built over many decades, but some of it is just that the fundamentals of the two leagues makes the NFL easier to get into.
I agree with all of this. But again it being an easier experience doesn’t make it a better product IMO. Not saying that’s what you said either

Yea, you’ll always have your avid hardcore fans but when you aren’t able to pull in anyone new then it’s only a matter of time i.e. MLB. Buuuut the NBA isn’t down that bad.

Overall the product is bad but it can definitely still be saved. Celtics rested everyone against the Bucks a game which any fan would want to see but going to play against the Pistons. This is the bs that needs to change.

As I’ve said before honestly the players and the FO’s are burning down the house together at this point.

You have all these complaints but revenues are booming and major TV networks/streaming services are clamoring for rights to show these games you take issue with.

There is a disconnect between reality and your complaints :lol:

Y’all have to also remember that we have to WAIT for the NFL. It’s active for 6 months compared the NFL being 9 months and we have games throughout the week.

The NFL is all about anticipation, build up for upcoming games.

2 people almost died this season

It's always been 5-7 legit great QB's. With a few really good ones here and there. Mahomes is on a all-time great pace. The WR's and TE's are in a golden era right now and the RB position ain't dead lol. Saquon and C-Mac both had big impacts on winning teams. Derrick Henry is a monster. Josh Jacobs had a great year. NFL is in great place.

The NFL having (almost) every game being played at the same time is a huge advantage for them. No one will remember horrible Colts-Texans game at 1:00 if the primetime game is great.

Also having a week between games gives fans & networks time to discuss the last game while also hyping up the next one.

Football is basically 1x a week, much easier to follow 32 teams once a week than 30 teams 3 or 4 times a week. That being said I prefer tailgate parties over the actual game.

The last like 10 Super Bowl winning teams have featured RB by committee. The days of the bell cow RB are long gone. RBs are basically rim running bigs at this point

That’s not the point though. You still have great RBs who contribute to the fan interest.

Zeke has fell off but, Derrick Henry, Nick Chub, Dalvin Cook, Josh Jacobs, Travis Etienne, Saquon Barkley, etc.

The league still has noteworthy RBs.

The NFLs only issue is not allowing defenders to play the game without being weary of penalties. You can’t touch the WRs or QBs.

Both leagues are in good positions but when you’ve got the NBA rewarding dudes like BEN SIMMONS for being mediocre, and then he’s got the nerve to blame it on mental health, that rubs the fans the wrong way.

As a fan of the NFL, my only issue is I wish players got guaranteed contracts and less bias towards offense. Other than that, both are good.

Back
Top Bottom