The Official NBA Season Thread: NBA Draft

Again I ask....

ezgif-4-8712708186.gif
Tryna get me Perk'd :rofl:

I think the clamor is very much there to give him one but his team's performance needs to match his own first :lol:

Why I 've said that the MVP will be his the minute they finish a season as a top 5 seed with this version of Luka.

Nuggets feel like they’ve been coasting and they’re a half game back from the one seed :lol:

Wouldn’t have any problem with Jok, Shai, or Yanni winning.
Why it's hard to picture anyone taking them out come April-May-June rn :lol:, even Boston as well as they're playing.

Most well-balanced squad in the association

Dude, I get you want to criticize the Suns lack of depth, ok. But it don't how roster construction overcomes one of your stars being injured when it comes to winning a chip. Which is what the Suns are trying to do in the near term. All that does is save you a couple extra wins in the regular season. If one of your stars are out, a team has little to no chance of championship anyway.
They traded for an oft injured 3rd star on the other side of 3 when they already have a 35 year old star that’s oft injured. Trading for a dude who is constantly injured in Beal is a consideration you make when constructing the roster, especially at his price tag. I’m sympathetic to the idea that maybe they didn’t have another option, but yea there’s a reason why teams are moving away from the “Big 3” construction under the new CBA. It’s going to make roster construction with 3 max guys extremely difficult.

On the other stuff, you’re saying a bunch of stuff that literally never argued so not worth quoting. I’ve been on board with thinking Ayton was extremely overrated since pre-draft. Getting off of his deal was great.

Never said anything about punting on Book’s time or really even heavily criticized the KD deal. If people are in here talking about the West, cherry picking favorable data to show that this is a contending team “when healthy” and my response is that it’s foolish to go “when healthy” with this team because it’s unlikely that they’ll be healthy, then you don’t have to engage with it :lol:. All I’m saying is the team isn’t a contender inasmuch as the Warriors aren’t a contender or the Lakers aren’t a contender. Not getting why my opinion is striking this much of a chord with you at all. It’s pretty well reasoned, fair and pretty obvious looking at the current standings. If your response to that is what other option did they have? No idea. Not my job

Sure, but could say that about most other playoff teams too. Clips, Pels, Mavs, Warriors, Lakers have all had guys that have missed playoff time over the years.

Nuggets hadn’t exactly been a beacon of health either until last year.

East teams have same problems too. Zingus could go down any second. Middleton has missed a bunch. Embiid is currently out. Heat always have guys banged up. Knicks.

Injury luck always going to play a huge factor.
But injury luck and building in injury history are two vastly different things. Embiid, Porzingys and Middleton are guys who are constantly injured. It’s not just a question of injury luck.

It’s why Porzingus made sense to bring in on a team with Tatum and Brown as the guys. It’s why Milwaukee needed to upgrade Jrue offensively and went and got Dame. These teams aren’t just constructing their rosters and throwing up their hands to injury luck. The teams who are well ran at least.
I don’t really see what the path was for PHX otherwise. They went to a finals in the weird Covid year with Chris Paul healthy and DeAndre Ayton actually engaged and playing well. Had zero chance of ever getting back as they were constructed.

CP has basically been hurt every year since. Michael Bridges is at very best a 3rd option on an elite team. Cam Johnson is a role player. Ayton doesn’t care about anything other than video games.

Guess they could’ve just kept everything and been a middle road team with more middle to late first round picks?
Who said they shouldn’t have gotten KD? :lol: I don’t even know how we got to this stage of the convo. Flipping Chris Paul and Ayton for better pieces was probably smarter than trading for Beal’s oft injured self though.

Yo was older and didn’t have a position, knew it was a bad pick from jump
He was like 20 coming out of Arizona. :lol: He was delusional to think he could play SF, but that was his only chance at playing time because Love was still there. But turns out his shooting was a complete outlier in college. And he didn't have the ball skills to transition to being a skilled PF.

But injury luck and building in injury history are two vastly different things. Embiid, Porzingys and Middleton are guys who are constantly injured. It’s not just a question of injury luck.

It’s why Porzingus made sense to bring in on a team with Tatum and Brown as the guys. It’s why Milwaukee needed to upgrade Jrue offensively and went and got Dame. These teams aren’t just constructing their rosters and throwing up their hands to injury luck. The teams who are well ran at least.

Who said they shouldn’t have gotten KD? :lol: I don’t even know how we got to this stage of the convo. Flipping Chris Paul and Ayton for better pieces was probably smarter than trading for Beal’s oft injured self though.
There’s people in here that absolutely said they shouldn’t have traded for KD or that it hasn’t been worth it.

Chris didn’t have much value. He and Beal have played a similar amount of games this year. Beal shooting like 10% better from the field though. Wash from a health perspective. Not sure who else was out there that you could’ve gotten for Chris.

Ayton might just not have had much value either. Nurk has played pretty much the whole year and is averaging a double double and Grayson Allen is leading the league in 3P% I think. Not an awful return.

Again, just don’t really get what the other options were.

I really though Derrick Williams was going to be an All-Star. Figured he be the perfect PF as basketball was transitioning in the 2010s.
This makes me think of the discussion around guys who came out before a time they would've been more appreciated and tailor made for.

For all the success they had in their day, guys like Hedo, Ak47, Okur, Rashard Lewis, Peja, LO and Sheed would've been perfect for today's game.

Come to think of it, that entire Magic Finals squad was 5 years too early :lol:. They would've been a legit problem for everyone come 2014/15

There’s people in here that absolutely said they shouldn’t have traded for KD or that it hasn’t been worth it.

Chris didn’t have much value. He and Beal have played a similar amount of games this year. Beal shooting like 10% better from the field though. Wash from a health perspective. Not sure who else was out there that you could’ve gotten for Chris.

Ayton might just not have had much value either. Nurk has played pretty much the whole year and is averaging a double double and Grayson Allen is leading the league in 3P% I think. Not an awful return.

Again, just don’t really get what the other options were.
Chris was on an expiring and they had a ton of seconds. Don’t think it’s crazy to think that they could’ve gotten something back there. Beal had pretty low value as well. It’s not like teams were banging the doors down to take his contract on and him waiving his NTC didn’t get rid of it for the future either.

Portland ended up taking Ayton back as their central piece in the Dame deal over Herro. He clearly had some value, but yea agree that getting Allen and Nurk was better than having him. I’ve never been a big fan of him.

This makes me think of the discussion around guys who came out before a time they would've been more appreciated and tailor made for.

For all the success they had in their day, guys like Hedo, Ak47, Okur, Rashard Lewis, Peja, LO and Sheed would've been perfect for today's game.

Come to think of it, that entire Magic Finals squad was 5 years too early :lol:. They would've been a legit problem for everyone come 2014/15
team had Courtney Lee in the finals :sick:

Back
Top Bottom