The Official NBA Season Thread: Free Agency Day

If we go down this revisionist history path, let's say the Warriors select LaMelo. They obviously don't get Poole at pick 28 in 2019. So does that mean they go Nic Claxton?
1669132761780.png

And the only reason for the PPG difference is Wiseman's higher volume |l

Tho I root for their failure daily, I hope Ben Simmons & the Nets take a big poo on the 76ers. Well, Ben specifically. It’s unlikely he’ll earn a career high, whatever it is, so this is the next best.

Hope he hits the game winning 3 to end it.

I mean...no Embiid, no Harden, no Maxey and potentially no Tobias. Nets should win this easily.

It would make a GREAT story if Ben hits a 3 and the crowd mistakenly cheers :lol:

I was never a huge fan of Wiseman,
but I figured, catch the ball dunk the ball
see the the ball, block the ball.

is pretty solid floor for a guy with his physical tools.
but he can't even do that.

I really don't understand why he can't be prime DeAndre Jordan.
low IQ defender, who makes up for it with his physical tools.

Which is weird because coming out of college he was praised by being a "smart kid". so this low IQ defense comes at a bit of a surprise.

I was never a huge fan of Wiseman,
but I figured, catch the ball dunk the ball
see the the ball, block the ball.

is pretty solid floor for a guy with his physical tools.
but he can't even do that.

I really don't understand why he can't be prime DeAndre Jordan.
low IQ defender, who makes up for it with his physical tools.
You cant have a low basketball iq, low motor , and bad hands

Which is weird because coming out of college he was praised by being a "smart kid". so this low IQ defense comes at a bit of a surprise.

yah tbh I think that's white basketball executives getting enamoured by a black guy who is "well spoken"

real world intelligence =/= bball iq.

Festus Ezili was a originally going to school to be a doctor I believe.
he's a low iq basketball player.

Harrison Barnes, HOF "he's so well spoken" guy,
not a particularly high IQ on the court

Chris Egi is the smartest dude ever to go through the Canada basketball program.
Harvard Valedictorian.
Brain dead on the court.

pattern recognition/spatial awareness =/= book smarts.

Albert Einstein prob didn’t have high basketball iq.

Draymond has high basketball iq but probably has trouble spelling his own name.

Wiseman was deemed smart bc of his interest and bc he spoke Mandarin lol

yah tbh I think that's white basketball executives getting enamoured by a black guy who is "well spoken"

real world intelligence =/= bball iq.

Festus Ezili was a originally going to school to be a doctor I believe.
he's a low iq basketball player.

Harrison Barnes, HOF "he's so well spoken" guy,
not a particularly high IQ on the court

Chris Egi is the smartest dude ever to go through the Canada basketball program.
Harvard Valedictorian.
Brain dead on the court.

pattern recognition/spatial awareness =/= book smarts.
Lamelo is all jokes but has an incredible basketball IQ. Harden doesn’t know how to use the internet is a savant on the court

If we go down this revisionist history path, let's say the Warriors select LaMelo. They obviously don't get Poole at pick 28 in 2019. So does that mean they go Nic Claxton?
1669132761780.png

And the only reason for the PPG difference is Wiseman's higher volume |l

Jordan Poole was drafted a year before Lamelo.

That’s not who they missed on either. It’s Halliburton.

How are some teams consistently pretty good at it? Trading the picks was the obvious move tho
Which teams are these? Not even being combative, drafting is just more Meh/Misses than hits.

I could easily say drafting Steph/Klay/Dray supplants all the misses. Steph alone does, its a top 10 player ever.

Drafting is mostly a crapshoot and winning championships is hard. Drafting Lamelo or trading the picks doesn't guarantee the same or better outcome than another immediate championship. All the guys you picked getting a ring is a win. An extension of the dynasty was always an unrealistic expectation.

🧢

Kuminga would have be one of the Rockets top 2 players had they drafted him.

Trying to pretend like these kids are “busts” is hilarious. The reality is they’re teenagers trying to fit into a complex scheme which is atypical of most lottery picks. That’s why Halliburton was the way to go in ‘20. He was one of the only prospects equipped to handle the learning curve.

Which teams are these? Not even being combative, drafting is just more Meh/Misses than hits.

I could easily say drafting Steph/Klay/Dray supplants all the misses. Steph alone does, its a top 10 player ever.
The Lakers are an example of a team with a good draft record over the past decade. Spurs used to be pretty good at getting good value late in the draft. Steph/Klay/Dray are examples of great scouting. Wiseman/Kuminga/moody the opposite

Drafting is mostly a crapshoot and winning championships is hard. Drafting Lamelo or trading the picks doesn't guarantee the same or better outcome than another immediate championship. All the guys you picked getting a ring is a win. An extension of the dynasty was always an unrealistic expectation.
Trading the picks I think pretty clearly produces a better result for the fact that you're getting a proven commodity versus an unknown. You don't think trading the #2 pick in a good draft yields a better on court product than whatever Wiseman has given since then? Also I don't think it's that unrealistic to extend a dynasty when you end up with an asset like the #2 pick. Any championship team could realistically be expected to extend their window in that situation

Last edited:
I think selecting Wiseman over Lamelo is bad process regardless of the outcome.

Like if Lamelo was a bust, and Wiseman did become Deandre Jordan I still think it's dumb.

Regardless of the outcome,
Using the number 2 pic, to take a center, who doesn't have DPOY potential, and isn't some insane preternatural offensive player
Over a guy with the potential to be a 3 level ball handler creator.

imo it's dumb no matter what happens.

Back
Top Bottom