The Official NBA Season Thread: Free Agency Day

With Bridges out the way, our guy finally has the greenlight to put his full bag on display...

Simmons-feasting.gif

Too much off ball movement with these guys. Too many shot makers. You can’t help.

He’ll eat.
I think having a good center on the floor for all 48 minutes far outweighs Julius’ value as a secondary creator, and I love Julius.

But you can go all the way in the playoffs with a pedestrian offense if you’re locking everything down defensively. DDV, Hart, Hart, Kal, OG, Mitch is SIX guys in your rotation who are high motor, impactful defenders. Nobody else in the league has that.

You let Hart walk and you’re praying that Mitch doesn’t even get a hangnail.

I think having a good center on the floor for all 48 minutes far outweighs Julius’ value as a secondary creator, and I love Julius.

But you can go all the way in the playoffs with a pedestrian offense if you’re locking everything down defensively. DDV, Hart, Hart, Kal, OG, Mitch is SIX guys in your rotation who are high motor, impactful defenders. Nobody else in the league has that.

You let Hart walk and you’re praying that Mitch doesn’t even get a hangnail.

Let’s say they do lose iHart and maybe you trade Randle for depth, especially at the Center position. What team will actually want to trade for him?

It’s not that he’s a bad player, it’s just that I can’t think of a team that he fits into.

This #Rockets trade is not made for short Twitter posts, but I'm gonna try and explain the thinking here:

— Think of it as a 3-team deal. The Nets moving Bridges to Knicks was contingent on getting their next two picks back. Otherwise, they were gonna try and mediocrity treadmill, thereby limiting value of the 2025 and 2026 picks to some extent.

— The 2027 BKN swap is actually more valuable now, since Nets are entering a rebuild and should be quite young.

— At some point, there are only so many young players you can play. Houston has 6 young-core guys and will add a 7th this week. There's a point of diminishing returns.

— Yes, they understand the 2025 and 2026 BKN assets are in line to potentially be good. That's why they're getting 4 FRP assets while giving up 2.

— No, this isn't "you gave up Cooper Flagg." See above Bridges considerations, plus remember #PrayForVictor. Odds are quite different these days.

— There are two timelines/scenarios to consider. The ideal scenario is that Jalen and/or Sengun take the next step this season and you're able to build a contender with the current young core. If that's the case, you'll need cheap role players (i.e. all those FRP assets in 2027 and 2029) once this team gets way more expensive.

— If they don't take the next step, you'll probably need to try and make a superstar trade in 2025 or 2026, and having a greater *volume* of FRP assets that are pushed out into further years is probably better value at that time.

— Yes, Devin Booker is someone who could potentially be available in a year or two given the obvious issues in Phoenix, and having their own picks could be a powerful incentive to grease the wheels for that, if needed (just as it was for Brooklyn to deal Bridges today)

— Phoenix just won below 50 games in a loaded West and 0 playoff games. One of their two star players is 36 years old. Their outlook is not great.

— This does not impact the 2024 draft in any way”

I guess.

But damn, would have wanted to hold on to that 2025 swap at any cost (even the 3 tomorrow instead). If we don’t deal with PHX then I would think any of the Nets picks would have netted you more than PHX picks.

Let’s say they do lose iHart and maybe you trade Randle for depth, especially at the Center position. What team will actually want to trade for him?

It’s not that he’s a bad player, it’s just that I can’t think of a team that he fits into.
Randle for Jarrett Allen?

Back
Top Bottom