The Official NBA Season Thread: Mikal Bridges traded to the Knicks

I think this league's biggest problem is probably comparable to what the PGA did with Tiger Woods - if all you do is cover one player (LeBron) and one team (Lakers) for literally 20 years over and over every single day, every minute.... you cannot be shocked if no one is watching if said player is not involved.

I think this league's biggest problem is probably comparable to what the PGA did with Tiger Woods - if all you do is cover one player (LeBron) and one team (Lakers) for literally 20 years over and over every single day, every minute.... you cannot be shocked if no one is watching if said player is not involved.
That's another good point. You have some young people who literally grew up in this ESPN era of just covering Steph and Lebron and they really don't like basketball when you break it down. They watch they highlights from HouseofHighlights on IG and they keep up with the off the court drama, but they not sitting down watching the actual game.

And NBA media has collectively done a **** job getting people interested in the next generation of all-stars.

Wemby might be special enough that he can overcome that and get casuals interested.

NBA is and always has been a star driven league, Magic - Bird, MJ, Shaq, Kobe, Bron - Wardell. Wemby could very well be next in line. But the league also flourishes with dynasties. People like to say parity is good for sports but it really isn't in terms of engagement.

The glamour franchises are what they are in every sport (Lakers, Yankees and Cowboys) so yea those teams are always going to bring the most eyeballs to the screens, but also the newer dynasties of the last decade (Warriors and Chiefs) who just also also happen to have two of the most dynamic players to ever play leading those teams also drive viewership because there's a big factor of tuning in just to see if they'll lose.

This different champ every year for the NBA isn't necessarily a good thing, but there is a combo of factors that go into it. Ultimately with whatever numbers Silver is getting on this next deal, he probably doesn't give a damn either way though. We'll have to wait and see the next set of negotiations if the jump is as big as this one which was largely a result of the Bron-Warriors era.

That's another good point. You have some young people who literally grew up in this ESPN era of just covering Steph and Lebron and they really don't like basketball when you break it down. They watch they highlights from HouseofHighlights on IG and they keep up with the off the court drama, but they not sitting down watching the actual game.

Yep....Someone posted in here I believe last week screen shots of ESPN all during the Finals discussing LeBron James. They are on auto-pilot, it's a rule (much like the Cowboys are the rule for FOX) - and while most of us know certain people/teams are going to be covered far more than others, ESPN has literally helped kill an entire generation's full interest in the NBA. I really do believe that.

Certain teams HAVE to be covered (the Warriors when they were winning, the Knicks, etc) but I sometimes stop to think what the ramifications (again, much like the PGA media crying for years when they got no ratings if Tiger wasn't in contention) of what happens when this 15-20 year media-era decides to cover one player more than the rest of the entire league combined x 100. "Ratings are down again for the Finals."

The NFL continues to rule everything for many reasons: One of the biggest is that the league is bigger than any one player. Teams located in Kansas City, Buffalo, Green Bay, Pittsburgh get huge ratings. Think about that for other sports including MLB. It would be like the networks falling over to broadcast the Royals and Brewers. The NFL has figured out, and the media plays a huge hand, that the more you treat things equal and revenue sharing and letting stars stay in small towns (as opposed to the NBA media who obsess over every small market star leaving for NY or LA) the ratings stay huge, the NFL talk stays huge. Yes yes I know the Cowboys coverage is ridiculous...

I got a good question...who's the best player in the world as of today?
Who is Kyrie Irving for 200 Alex

troll.png

Batman lets Joker get completely under this skin,
beats him, and gets so emotional he falls for Joker's plan without realizing he is getting played and never had the upper hand in the first place.

There is no balance in the scene, evil went on a 20-0 run in that part of the movie.

70% chance Muzulla is a libertarian

Back
Top Bottom