The Official NBA Thread: PLAYOFFS

PP vs Carmelo. I'm sure this has happened in here once or twice but I do not recall what the takes were

I'm assuming PP got the overall nod...

Pierce def isn’t is good as Wade. But he was a really good player and feel like his goofiness has made people forget how good he actually was.

Relatively efficient 3 level scorer, good defender. Outplayed everyone’s favorite Beans Bryant to win a chip.

The post was fine until the last sentence :lol: :smh: I was 15 years younger so I can not recall the sentiment at the time but from an adult view, I maintain that midseason NBA blockbusters don't win championships that year so I am not surprised the Celtics won. A 2009 rematch would have been nice and no need to talk about 2010.

Pierce def isn’t is good as Wade. But he was a really good player and feel like his goofiness has made people forget how good he actually was.

Relatively efficient 3 level scorer, good defender. Outplayed everyone’s favorite Beans Bryant to win a chip.
Agreed almost like if PP never spoke in the media, he would be regarded higher in the all time ranks. His off the court stuff has hurt the public opinion of his abilities/accomplishments

musica-music.gif

Paul Pierce doing himself no favors with his words. But he’s not wrong he’s an absolute winner and clutch player. If he had a prime Shaq or a prime KG to carry most of the workhorse load he was more than capable of being the closer for a chip level team. Give him a bunch of Shaq seasons and he def wins a few.

That said, what makes Lebron, Wade, Kobe greater is that they could do that and have the volume in regular season. You gotta be able to carry the load if you’re gonna say you’re an all time great. There’s value to that strength and Pierce is a clear tier below when it comes to that.

• Haha
Reactions: MVP
Let's see what his coach Phil Jackson thought about his defense during that time.

“Kobe’s defense, to be accurate, has faltered in recent years, despite his presence on the league’s all-defensive team.
The voters have been seduced by his remarkable athleticism and spectacular steals, but he hasn’t played sound, fundamental defense.
"Mesmerized by the ball, he’s gambled too frequently, putting us out of position, forcing rotations that leave a man wide open, and doesn’t keep his feet on the ground.”

but who knows maybe Phil is just some Kobe hater.

the problem is the numbers also bear this out.
this is from 03 onwards aside from a few season his teams were generally better defensively when he was off the court.
and here his on off as compared with ron artest for example.

Kobe vs Ron artest

1690070980437.png
1690071244091.png

Kobe Bryant is the Derek Jeter of basketball when it comes to defense,
Frobe was a very good defender, but every other Kobe was just somewhere between solid to inconsistent to bad depending on his age / level of effort.

The Pau-kobe lakers were an elite defense because of their size, rebounding and rim protection, specifically the front court of Bynum, Odom, and Pau, + Ron Artest.
Kobe was a helpful part of it , but the idea that it was him driving their defense performance is crazy.

He wasn't better than Ron, or Bruce Bown, at that time, he wasn't terrorizing people like Kawhi.
it's just a total rewrite of history to pretend that he was.

The same Phil Jackson that said

"Kobe's become the floor leader of a basketball team that was kind of looking for that nature of a player, who could not only be a scorer but also be a playmaker or consistently make big plays at critical times," Jackson said to ESPN.

And I think it's the best that I've ever seen a player of mine play with an overall court game. I'm asking him to do so much, and he's accomplishing it."

Asked about where that leaves Michael Jordan, Jackson added, "I never asked Michael to be a playmaker," Jackson said. "That's the greatest player that I've ever had, that I could consider the greatest player in the game, and I never asked him to be a playmaker in those terms.

"I asked him to be a playmaker when he was doubled or tripled. But Kobe has to set up the offense, to advance the ball, to read the defense, to make other players happy, and he's doing a great job of that."

The post was fine until the last sentence :lol: :smh: I was 15 years younger so I can not recall the sentiment at the time but from an adult view, I maintain that midseason NBA blockbusters don't win championships that year so I am not surprised the Celtics won. A 2009 rematch would have been nice and no need to talk about 2010.
He checked Kobe and held him under 40% shooting in 4 of the 6 games.

2009 would’ve been a nice rematch. Think that team was better than the previous year prior to the KG injury. As were the Lakers.

Paul Pierce doing himself no favors with his words. But he’s not wrong he’s an absolute winner and clutch player. If he had a prime Shaq or a prime KG to carry most of the workhorse load he was more than capable of being the closer for a chip level team. Give him a bunch of Shaq seasons and he def wins a few.

That said, what makes Lebron, Wade, Kobe greater is that they could do that and have the volume in regular season. You gotta be able to carry the load if you’re gonna say you’re an all time great. There’s value to that strength and Pierce is a clear tier below when it comes to that.

Bron, Wade and Kobe also were able to win it as the guy.

Boston was a great collab of 3 guys who couldn't cut it as the man and their games complimented each other very well. That 2008 chip only counts once though and the way they continuously big it up you'd think they were some type of dynasty.

He checked Kobe and held him under 40% shooting in 4 of the 6 games.

2009 would’ve been a nice rematch. Think that team was better than the previous year prior to the KG injury. As were the Lakers.

Tony Allen was who have Bean terrible.

Golden State wasn't down 2-1 in the Finals, on the road in Boston and Steph didn't put up 43/10/4 while shooting 53% from the field (incl. 7-14 from 3) en route to a victory as well as wins in Game 5 and Game 6?

You can't say "not one time" for a scenario-based take like that and expect to be taken seriously just like you can't say "in no particular order after #1" and expect folks to think you are serious.

So now the combination of Tatum and Jaylen Brown are a serious opponent?

Nope not today. Also Bron is clearly #1.

The rest of the list and order is negligible. We know who number 1 is. We have a good idea who is in the top 8.

It gets hairy around 9-12. Especially when people try to boost the legacies of green eyed players.

Lebron effort level during the regular season has always waxed and waned.
I don't think you can point to a year where he was actually robbed of a rightful DPOY.

it's much more of a travesty that Tim Duncan never won a DPOY.

Back
Top Bottom