THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 3 Releases 4/13

The nice part about the achilles game 8s is that they were the elite model. They may have had forefoot and heel zoom and a sturdier heel counter. Hopefully the protros are built similarly to the elite 8s or better.

Curious about everyone’s expectations on protro-ing the Achilles game 8s. The shoe was originally a PE of the 8 elites with flywire. Would you guys be cool if Nike just did the same colors on the regular 8s?

Nah if you're gonna give us the colorway, give it to us in the original Elite form.
That being said, I'd still buy it if they slap it on a regular model simply because I'm a sucker for Laker colorways :rofl:

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves here, since we don't even know when the Protro 8 is coming :lol:
But... if you had to pick 5 of the Kobe 8 colorways to be Protro'd, which colorways would you want to see?
For me it's Purple Gradients, Easters, Christmas, Mambacurials, and Sulfurs.

Nah if you're gonna give us the colorway, give it to us in the original Elite form.
That being said, I'd still buy it if they slap it on a regular model simply because I'm a sucker for Laker colorways :rofl:

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves here, since we don't even know when the Protro 8 is coming :lol:
But... if you had to pick 5 of the Kobe 8 colorways to be Protro'd, which colorways would you want to see?
Easters?!!!!!!!!! With all the ones they released lol

In other news, these are like the least expensive grinches close to my size I’ve ever seen.
3EE98290-9743-41FD-B082-2BED38C76D15.png

I’m waiting for them to retro these tho.
You’ll be waiting a while

No WTK8 in there?!?!? Wow. That would be number one on my list. Milk duds or whatever they were called was the one cw I had back in the day that I hooped in. I’m good on that cw, but I really liked it at the time. I gotta look up Kobe 8 cw’s now to remember what else I’d add in

imo there were 4 phases post-January 2020.

Phase 1 was from Feb 2020 to August 2020, prices were especially crazy in Feb and March. Some dudes paid like 4K for Og Grinches. but some DS Kobes could be copped for 250-300 like undefeated Suns 4s. In other words, alot of variation

Phase 2 was when they started releasing Kobes again starting in Mamba Week of August 2020, up to April 2021. This was when people complained about bots and SNKRS, because it was very difficult to hit for retail. Some colorways had better prices than others, for example 5 rings in size 10-11 could be copped on resale market for 210-250 (and dudes were actually struggling to get rid of them, one seller I talked to was like "But I NEED this 10 dollar profit PLS"). Bruce Lees weren't too bad either, around 270-300. Alts around 300-350. But either way, the minimum that you'd HAVE to pay would be 180.

Phase 3 was May 2021 to November 2021, after the news dropped of Nike ending the deal. Carpe diems went from 300 to 500. Bruce lees went up to 400, alts 500.

Phase 4 was holiday season December 2021 to present. Grinches went from 500 to 900. Bruce lees went from 400 to 600. Alts went from 500 to 800. things are looking really bleak (february 2020-esque) and we're wondering if we should even be wearing our Kobes.

(Phase 0 is any time up to 2019, when you could find Kobes sitting at outlets and footlockers for 30 bucks like Kobe 6 imperial purples or 50 bucks like protro 1s. And DS Kobes would sit for months even if you listed them for 150. I'm one of those dudes who thought that 160 for DS Kobe 8s was an overpay lmao and was stubborn about paying no more than 140.)

Now with the wonderful news about the renewal, which phase do yall think we'll go back to? Some of yall are celebrating like we're automatically going back to phase 0 and resellers will get f*cked and kobes will brick (which I would love better than any other phase tbh so I could wear them everyday without any worries, even as someone who does sell Kobes myself).

Imo it's more likely we're going back to phase 2 (which was heaven compared to phase 4, but still sucked) unless they do something different, i.e. making 20 times the stock that they did for the protro 5s.

Last edited:

Phase 1 was from Feb 2020 to August 2020, prices were especially crazy in Feb and March. Some dudes paid like 4K for Og Grinches. but some DS Kobes could be copped for 250-300 like undefeated Suns 4s. In other words, alot of variation

Phase 2 was when they started releasing Kobes again starting in Mamba Week of August 2020, up to April 2021. For example 5 rings in size 10-11 could be copped on resale market for 210-250 (and dudes were actually struggling to get rid of them, one seller I talked to was like "But I NEED this 10 dollar profit PLS"). Bruce Lees weren't too bad either, around 270-300. Alts around 300-350. But either way, the minimum that you'd HAVE to pay would be 180.

Phase 3 was May 2021 to November 2021, after the news dropped of Nike ending the deal. Carpe diems went from 300 to 500. Bruce lees went up to 400, alts 500.

Phase 4 was holiday season December 2021 to present. Grinches went from 500 to 900. Bruce lees went from 400 to 600. Alts went from 500 to 800. things are looking really bleak (february 2020-esque) and we're wondering if we should even be wearing our Kobes.

(Phase 0 is any time up to 2019, when you could find Kobes sitting at outlets and footlockers for 30 bucks like Kobe 6 imperial purples or 50 bucks like protro 1s. And DS Kobes would sit for months even if you listed them for 150. I'm one of those dudes who thought that 160 for DS Kobe 8s was an overpay lmao and was stubborn about paying no more than 140.)

Now with the wonderful news about the renewal, which phase do yall think we'll go back to? Some of yall are celebrating like we're automatically going back to phase 0 and resellers will get f*cked and kobes will brick (which I would love better than any other phase tbh so I could wear them everyday without any worries, even as someone who does sell Kobes myself).

Imo it's more likely we're going back to phase 2 unless they do something different, i.e. making 20 times the stock that they did for the protro 5s.
First off. Great synopsis. And I would also agree Phase 2. Them 5 rings were right there in production amount with the BLs. I got my double up pair of 5 rings for less than I got the first pair. 240... then 210 some weeks after. If I wanted to approach the BLs in doubling up immediately... could've for both around 240(which I got my first pair from and with deciding weeks later for the 2nd pair...300). ALTs I got weeks after and fortunately for 300. The derozens... if I was steadfast with those.. where I wasn't initially interested...I wasn't with the ALTS to... missed out getting them for 270 from a dude I was messaging, sometime passed and eventually got them for 300 during that time period where there's really not that many out there anymore so the prices start increasing.

No WTK8 in there?!?!? Wow. That would be number one on my list. Milk duds or whatever they were called was the one cw I had back in the day that I hooped in. I’m good on that cw, but I really liked it at the time. I gotta look up Kobe 8 cw’s now to remember what else I’d add in

WTK8s are nice, but I was just thinking in terms of hooping.
I like having matching kicks when I'm hooping :lol:
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the WTK8s, but I wouldn't hoop in them.

Phase 2 was when they started releasing Kobes again starting in Mamba Week of August 2020, up to April 2021. For example 5 rings in size 10-11 could be copped on resale market for 210-250 (and dudes were actually struggling to get rid of them, one seller I talked to was like "But I NEED this 10 dollar profit PLS"). Bruce Lees weren't too bad either, around 270-300. Alts around 300-350. But either way, the minimum that you'd HAVE to pay would be 180.

Imo it's more likely we're going back to phase 2 unless they do something different, i.e. making 20 times the stock that they did for the protro 5s.
I think we’ll go back to something like phase 2 for the near future, where you’ll have a puncher’s chance at getting a W on each release but not guaranteed, and resell won’t be too crazy except the hyped releases. It really depends how limited Nike makes them. Over the course of a year we all should have at least 1-2 Ws.

The next stage, probably in 2-3 years, will be certain Kobe protros being more easily attainable and the hyped colorways selling out instantly and being hard to get.

The last stage will be Kobe protros popping up at outlets again and getting most releases will be a matter of want than a matter of can.

The hyped colorways like the Grinches will always be a day 1 sell out.

Lowkey wouldn’t be mad if the 8 protros were:
Flyknit upper + React with/without zoom
Engineered Mesh + React With/without Zoom. (Think this is the most likely option)

I’d love if they made the regular 8’s like how they are regularly and make the elite 8’s readily (NBY or pre-order) available that way they hoopers can get them too

Phase 2 was really good to me, as much as i complained about it. managed to grab these at retail:

Demar P.E. x2
Undefeated pack
Grinches
EYBL’s (outlet release)
5 rings, grabbed these at $286
Grinches (Size 7 for my lady) $282
HOF i paid $325 which was under market at the time.

The two i really wanted were Bruce Lee’s & the 5x Champ

Last edited:
Low key, the Kobe 7 is one of the best looking Kobes ever to release.

Cheetah pair was my fav. Had em and loved em. Shark blue pair was fire also.

I liked the Kobe VII myself. And the VII was the last pair of his signature line that I got prior to the Kobe XI.

I didn't get any Kobe VIII. I definitely didn't want the IX & X because I didn't like any of the high-top versions at all. I also didn't like the low-top versions of those either. They also remind me of those two awful seasons he spent being injured.

I still have the Kobe VII Black/Yellow & White Lakers, and I do prefer to wear those with the ankle cut covering instead of the default insoles that make them a low-top version. I also have the Olympic VII from that year. I can't believe it's been 10 years since those came out.

The silhouette of the 7 is awesome. The materials were trash. It felt so plasticy compared to any shoe I’ve ever had. That could def use a Protro with some better fuse or knit.

The silhouette of the 7 is awesome. The materials were trash. It felt so plasticy compared to any shoe I’ve ever had. That could def use a Protro with some better fuse or knit.

If they were sticking true to the "Proto" label, they'd switchup that entire upper material for the 7s. But doing so might mean we'd lose the classic colorways.

I remember using the 7s on the treadmill for a warm up on my workout and they gave me blisters…obviously I know it’s not a running shoe but didn’t think that would happen in 10 mile run

Back
Top Bottom