THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 8-24-24

this is false.

no 'different cushion setup' or 'obligation' to wear the latest. where do people come up with this stuff?

also, derozan has rocked FTB kobe's plenty of times this season while the AD's have been out.
No one said anything about different cushion setups...?  You've never seen a player change shoes in the middle of a game while using the same insoles?  You don't think that at least some pro's use custom orthotics?  

And yes, depending on how shoe contracts are drafted there are often obligations.  Do you remember the fiasco when Harden was caught wearing J's shortly after signing his big shoe contract?

FWIW, NBA players that have shoe contracts are usually obligated to wear the latest models.  The fact that guys are using the ADs at the moment isn't necessarily a testament to their being better or worse than the XI or any previous model. 

John Wall was an Adidas guy until he decided they didn't pay him enough.  In his sneaker 'free agency' he was rocking the Kobe XI Curials and Mangos, once he signed with Nike it was right to the AD.

Isaiah was also wearing the XIs exclusively until the ADs came out.  Derozan too.

I don't believe there is any difference between retail models and the ones on pro feet.  Sometimes they have their own custom colorways or custom insoles but the shoes are the same.  

this is false.

no 'different cushion setup' or 'obligation' to wear the latest. where do people come up with this stuff?

also, derozan has rocked FTB kobe's plenty of times this season while the AD's have been out.

correct

Wall and anyone can wear what THEY want. Nike isn't pushing the AD on anyone and I can probably put money on that.

has wall even officially signed with nike? I just know he was wearing a ton of kobes and retro Jordans

No one said anything about different cushion setups...?  You've never seen a player change shoes in the middle of a game while using the same insoles?  You don't think that at least some pro's use custom orthotics?  

And yes, depending on how shoe contracts are drafted there are often obligations.  Do you remember the fiasco when Harden was caught wearing J's shortly after signing his big shoe contract?

Most players use custom orthotics/insoles so it truly doesn't matter what shoes the have on their feet.

Also, Harden signed the contract but wasn't obligated to wear Adidas at the time. It was in very poor taste to wear J's which made it look like that was his she of preference.

Last edited:
Not trying to start an argument here guys.  When signing a contact with a company like Nike both parties have services they must perform.  Nike's duties are to keep pros outfitted with the current offered models that serve their needs.  The players' service is to promote the product via commercials, on-court appearances, etc.  

Look at a guy like Giannis.  He still rocks Kobe Xs.  Last I heard a contract was in the works, but nothing yet that I've seen.

EDIT:  BTW I have no dog in the race here.  I have a bunch of XIs, still no ADs but I'm sure that time will come and that that point I'll make my own judgement and keep it to myself.  Everyone's experience is always different and I respect that.

Last edited:
Not trying to start an argument here guys.  When signing a contact with a company like Nike both parties have services they must perform.  Nike's duties are to keep pros outfitted with the current offered models that serve their needs.  The players' service is to promote the product via commercials, on-court appearances, etc.  

Look at a guy like Giannis.  He still rocks Kobe Xs.  Last I heard a contract was in the works, but nothing yet that I've seen.

maybe were talking about two different things, obviously they have to wear the brand.

I was strictly saying that the players wear the AD are wearing them because thats the model they currently like. Nike isn't pushing the AD on anyone. Usually players are wearing the current new team shoe like hyper dunks or fuses or whatever the new crap is out. (don't pay attention to any of that stuff since 2007 when it all went downhill and ugly)

You have to realize most NBA players are going to defer to getting the newest and mostly readily available shoe, it doesn't mean its the best shoe.

No, most use what is comfortable for them.

You missed what I was saying. I mean if you're a NBA player you are most likely going to default the shoes Nike is currently producing. So if you're a wing player there's like 10 current Nike shoes the KD 9, Kobe AD, PG 1, Lebron 14, Kyrie 3, Hyperdunk 16, Zoom Live and the Zoom Rev etc etc to choose from.

A player could like the Kobe 10, Kyrie 1 or KD 8 etc etc but with the way they go through shoes( some players like 50-100 pairs a season) its not worth the effort to get that many pairs of a shoe that's not in production anymore.

I think custom orthotics are more popular with forwards and... (do they still make centers anymore???)

Why does Westbrook need a 30.5? If he could wear any shoe then wouldn't he wear the 30?

I think custom orthotics are more popular with forwards and... (do they still make centers anymore???)

Why does Westbrook need a 30.5? If he could wear any shoe then wouldn't he wear the 30?

Something about how he doesn't like the lateral give of the midsole (don't know the exact term) of the xxx1.

Something about how he doesn't like the lateral give of the midsole (don't know the exact term) of the xxx1.

So then why, like I said in my original comment, doesn't he wear the 30? Likely because he has to wear the 31 upper because of Jordan Brand contracts. JB is Nike.

So then why, like I said in my original comment, doesn't he wear the 30? Likely because he has to wear the 31 upper because of Jordan Brand contracts. JB is Nike.

Not all contracts are created equal and Russ is supposed to be the face of the Jordan signature series if you didn't know that.
The compromise that JB/Russ have is the 30.5.

The argument that Nike athletes have to wear the latest and greatest is a YMMV type of ordeal and I am not sure if Nike actually has named someone to endorse the Kobe series now that he has retired. I know derozan wants the mantle but don't think they made him the Kobe guy.

Not all contracts are created equal and Russ is supposed to be the face of the Jordan signature series if you didn't know that.

The argument that Nike athletes have to wear the latest and greatest is a YMMV type of ordeal and I am not sure if Nike actually has named someone to endorse the Kobe series now that he has retired. I know derozan wants the mantle but don't think they made him the Kobe guy.
I actually agree across the board. But saying that Russ has to compromise pretty much points to the likelihood that JB does apply some pressure to wear the 31. 

I actually agree across the board. But saying that Russ has to compromise pretty much points to the likelihood that JB does apply some pressure to wear the 31. 

I think you missed the part where I said Russ is the face of the Jordan signature series. That's a big difference.

I think you missed the part where I said Russ is the face of the Jordan signature series. That's a big difference.
True, this conversation is basically about 2-3 players: IT & Derozan, and maybe John Wall? As all other players have a sig or I would guess can wear whatever they want. I feel like these 2-3 are in the waiting room for a sig, and I wonder if their status makes their obligations greater than Giannis for instance.

True, this conversation is basically about 2-3 players: IT & Derozan, and maybe John Wall? As all other players have a sig or I would guess can wear whatever they want. I feel like these 2-3 are in the waiting room for a sig, and I wonder if their status makes their obligations greater than Giannis for instance.

I guess that's what the big hiccup is about.
JB came out and said Russ is the face of the Jordan signature line.
Nike/Kobe has never said such about the Kobe line.

Until I read otherwise, I would just assume that these players in question are just Nike athletes that can wear whatever Nikes they want to wear and that they are choosing the AD because they like them.
I do know that Derozan is a Kobe guy (as in he's always loved the line) so he wears them for sure because of it.

The guys waiting in the wings for sigs seem to get PE hyperdunks or something similar before getting their own shoe.
Kyrie, Blake griffin, PG, harden are examples of players that have been "tested" that way.
Kyrie and PG got their own shoes.
Blake went to the JB side
harden got paid by adidas

Last edited:
maybe were talking about two different things, obviously they have to wear the brand.

I was strictly saying that the players wear the AD are wearing them because thats the model they currently like. Nike isn't pushing the AD on anyone. Usually players are wearing the current new team shoe like hyper dunks or fuses or whatever the new crap is out. (don't pay attention to any of that stuff since 2007 when it all went downhill and ugly)
I think we're saying the same things in 2 ways.  No, Nike isn't pimping the AD specifically on anyone.  However those under certain contracts and prefer the Kobe line, will stick to the ADs (or maybe the NXTs soon) because it's a current model.  You rarely see guys rocking the XI's anymore and I reckon those guys don't have the same type of shoe contracts.

Regardless I think we're all on the same page here.  Nike runs a business and their spokespeople are the athletes.  Nike wants to promote their 'latest and greatest' products so naturally the athletes with the highest visibility will be promoting them.  

Nike has the breakout stars rockin' the best shoes, or the most popular, or the shoes they want to make popular. That being said, these players still get to choose if there were 1-5 different models to choose from and players like Isaiah Thomas, John Wall, and DeRozan choose to wear Kobe's and now the Kobe A.D. because Kobe's are always known to be solid performers and that is exactly what they are. IT dropped 53 in them last night. Do you think kids all over will now have the tendency to buy A.D's now that these stars are rocking them and performing well? It's a win for Nike.

Look what happened when Curry won MVP and the Warriors won the chip. Curry sales went out the roof, and they were ugly AF and trash lol the difference is the Kobe's are solid performers and they look good on and off the court casually or in game.

I guess that's what the big hiccup is about.
JB came out and said Russ is the face of the Jordan signature line.
Nike/Kobe has never said such about the Kobe line.

Until I read otherwise, I would just assume that these players in question are just Nike athletes that can wear whatever Nikes they want to wear and that they are choosing the AD because they like them.
I do know that Derozan is a Kobe guy (as in he's always loved the line) so he wears them for sure because of it.

The guys waiting in the wings for sigs seem to get PE hyperdunks or something similar before getting their own shoe.
Kyrie, Blake griffin, PG, harden are examples of players that have been "tested" that way.
Kyrie and PG got their own shoes.
Blake went to the JB side
harden got paid by adidas
IT got PE zoom lives, and aren't those compton ADs Derozan's? Or not technically? And is Wall def. signed to Nike? I could see him being an exception and going straight to sig if he has another season next year like this one.

Anyone got the Flip The Switch AD's in their Nike plus inbox?

Thought I remember someone saying they were limited?

Anyone got the Flip The Switch AD's in their Nike plus inbox?

Thought I remember someone saying they were limited?

Didn't get one! They aren't going to be everywhere like the PG1s or KD9 elites... ordered a pair off that eBay link yesterday

Back
Top Bottom