The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

If the ip7 had a headphone jack, I would have bought one for sure.

I'm glad its getting phased out.... such an outdated technology.

Im pretty sure it comes with a lightning to 3.5mm adapter... if not one can be purchased.

I just don't see any benefit to dropping the jack. The phone is identical in shape, and they didn't put a speaker where the jack was. I use headphones often, and often times while the phone is charging. You have to make a decision now about charging your phone or listening to music. There is no need to phase out the jack, as there is nothing that is significantly better (CD drive phased out in favor of faster and larger storage usb drives)

I wouldnt be shocked if a lightning splitter would come.

i used wired headphones at the gym last night and hated it :lol:

I type that as I use my iphone headphones connected to a macbook pro though :lol:

^ Yeah man, and the devices that I have that use bluetooth are spotty at best. I'm not interested in spending significantly more money in a wireless headphone system. Apple couldn't even come up with a good reason during their keynote other than "You need courage"

just as a general suggestion, i think it helps to think about a couple things:

there is a saying that goes something like, "if you want to take interesting photos, you need only get your camera in front of more interesting things." i don't think this literally requires any extraordinary thing being in front of your lens, but just that you be interested in what it is that you are photographing...

what is it about what you see/saw in the frame that led you to push the shutter (be it an emotion/feeling, a candid moment, an interesting composition, etc.)? how do you show this to the viewers of the photo and can you emphasis this in your processing?

i know for me, i sometimes get caught up/focused in on the technical aspects (making sure not to blow highlights, getting my technique 'right,' trying to make sure my focus is good, thinking about how i might eventually want to process the image) that i forget to pay attention to all of what is going on in the actual photo! which is a mistake because ultimately what people notice is not the technical things it takes to get a good photo, not that the technical part doesn't matter, but is the moment captured by the camera interesting in some way beyond just being a well taken picture...

I have a lot to learn! I definitely agree with the photo subject, as well as the why.

I guess I'm still getting used to shooting more regularly also, still learning and trying to apply the technical portion.

I will say that at times I was getting caught up with settings. As well as shooting a lot of "nothing", for practice?

I suppose as I continue to shoot, the technical aspect should come naturally where I won't need to stress about them and I'll know how to focus on subject composition regularly.

I'm currently stuck thinking, "should I take a shot right now, will this look good? Better take the camera out just in case, don't want to miss anything"

Often times with that, I feel I'm taken out of the moment, same with how someone whips out their camera phones and is no longer submerged in the environment.

Photos look good. I'd probably ease up on the vignetting, but that's just my personal preference.

As for the top photos, I can't pick between the two. Neither of them really speak to me.

As tokes99 tokes99 mentioned, you need to be interested in your subject. I feel that for these photos, you just popped up behind him and snapped a couple of photos. Technically, they're pretty good. I'd just fix the leveling on the bottom photo. Also, the difference in shadows bug me, but that could just be preference.

I feel that it could have been more interesting if you waited for an interesting pose, took it from a different angle, etc.

Very good start.

I totally agree with the speaking part! It's missing action or feel, that I want to learn to capture.

I have a lot to learn! I definitely agree with the photo subject, as well as the why.

I guess I'm still getting used to shooting more regularly also, still learning and trying to apply the technical portion.

I will say that at times I was getting caught up with settings. As well as shooting a lot of "nothing", for practice?

I suppose as I continue to shoot, the technical aspect should come naturally where I won't need to stress about them and I'll know how to focus on subject composition regularly.

I'm currently stuck thinking, "should I take a shot right now, will this look good? Better take the camera out just in case, don't want to miss anything"

Often times with that, I feel I'm taken out of the moment, same with how someone whips out their camera phones and is no longer submerged in the environment.
I totally agree with the speaking part! It's missing action or feel, that I want to learn to capture.

I feel you! Yeah man, sometimes I snap a photo just because. Just keep shooting and the technicalities will come to you easily.

That's the thing, when you bring your camera everywhere, you don't have to shoot everything you see. Just shoot for the moments you really want to capture. I think that's what took me the longest to figure out. I would shoot anything and everything. After shooting film, I learned to be more selective with my shots and that carried over to digital.

Good luck on your journey, homie!

^ Yeah man, and the devices that I have that use bluetooth are spotty at best. I'm not interested in spending significantly more money in a wireless headphone system. Apple couldn't even come up with a good reason during their keynote other than "You need courage"

Speaking of the "you need courage" line... I really felt like the entire event was really cringe worthy :x

stopped by Pier 14 the other night and this guy was shootin a panorama. he showed me some of these ill panos he has done and gave me a few tips, so I figured why not and tested out this quick 3 shot pano. This homie was doin something ridiculous like a 80 or 90 something shot pano from this location.

pano1 by ryan g, on Flickr

Yeah i think my statement is a bit too bold and missleading.

Like i said, i understand that spec per spec a DLSR outclasses a phone

Im just saying in a practical, real world use, most consumers who are getting DSLRs only need what flagship phones can do and rarely what DSLRs can do.

Also understanding a strong photograph is composed by the shooter, not the camera.

a person taking crappy snap shots will be doing it with a phone or a canon 1D X Mark II

no doubt, honestly it is something of a mystery that every camera doesn't have a touchscreen at this point...

it's definitely going to be interesting, i wouldn't be surprised if they did figure out a way to use the lightning port for wired headphones

i think much of that is the case for most of us too! definitely go through a similar gauntlet of questions when i'm out with my camera, the more reps you get in the more you know your camera the easier it becomes to not have to think so much about the technical stuff, and the better you get overall hopefully. everybody takes shots that may not end up being anything, but it is part of the process and i do think it helps to just take picture that even if i not sure about it and then ask myself why i thought it was worth taking the photo, if i can answer it hopefully it help me recognize those things for other photos...thinking too much can definitely take you out of the moment but just like with anything, it takes awhile to get out of that thinking stage to the point where you can totally be doing the thing as second nature, totally immersed without having to think at all; every one is trying to get to #thatpart!

Dang so i am either getting a canon 60d or 80d. Saving for a 80d, but if i see a 60d at a price i like then i am going for it. Anyways i Saw something where people were having autofocus issues with a 70d. I googled this so i have some info, but anyone know about that? Probably just going to avoid the 70d because of that

stopped by Pier 14 the other night and this guy was shootin a panorama. he showed me some of these ill panos he has done and gave me a few tips, so I figured why not and tested out this quick 3 shot pano. This homie was doin something ridiculous like a 80 or 90 something shot pano from this location.

pano1 by ryan g, on Flickr

did he give you any tips on stitching images together? the panorama tool, as magical as it is, can't figure out the best way to seamlessly put things together...was he manually doing it or using a panorama making software?

it's definitely going to be interesting, i wouldn't be surprised if they did figure out a way to use the lightning port for wired headphones

already a part of the phone...included in the box.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-bids-farewell-to-the-headphone-jack/

makes sense, it still is going to be hassle in those situations where you need to recharge but still need audio...but if anyone was going to get people to try it would be apple

They did this before on the iPhone 1. Had the audio jack so low that most earphones couldn't fit in it and then they essentially fixed it the next time around. Who knows if this will be the same case with this lightening port but Apple has made people change the way they made things ie HTML 5 vs Flash. Overall I think it's honestly stupid to do. Even their newer Macs have like no ports at all and need to have all different converters.

Dang so i am either getting a canon 60d or 80d. Saving for a 80d, but if i see a 60d at a price i like then i am going for it. Anyways i Saw something where people were having autofocus issues with a 70d. I googled this so i have some info, but anyone know about that? Probably just going to avoid the 70d because of that

dont get to wrapped up in it and with pixel peeping.

From what I understand, the issue is predominantly when shooting in wider apertures than 1.8 and using the center point through the view finder.

Quite frankly, if you're shooting that wide of an aperture, the chances are your subject wont be dead center to begin with.

Also, what lenses do you have that will even show that issue? The canon 50mm f/1.2 is $1,400 and the 35mm f/1.4 L II is $1,800.

Last thing about super wide apertures... Just because a super wide aperture is available, doesn't mean it needs to be shot wide open.

Thousands of people are very happy with the 70d and its a fantastic camera.

If you google any camera or lens, you'll find lots of unhappy people. They're the loudest.

You wouldn't be unhappy with it . I've used a few of my friend's 70d's, its a very popular entry level video DSLR, and my favorite you tuber used it very extensively before getting the 80d when it dropped.

And in the worst case scenario, couldn't you just have it serviced and/or replaced?

They did this before on the iPhone 1. Had the audio jack so low that most earphones couldn't fit in it and then they essentially fixed it the next time around. Who knows if this will be the same case with this lightening port but Apple has made people change the way they made things ie HTML 5 vs Flash. Overall I think it's honestly stupid to do. Even their newer Macs have like no ports at all and need to have all different converters.

I really dont mind the change. Someone was bound to drop the headphone jack first and it makes sense that it was Apple to do it.

Apple is achieving with lightning and thunderbolt now what they tried with firewire back in the day with the very first ipod

IDK how many apple fans there were back then though :lol:

If I didn't like the change, I always have the option of not buying it or using the provided adapter.

Not really a huge fan of wired headphones with my phone to begin with.

From what I understand, the issue is predominantly when shooting in wider apertures than 1.8 and using the center point through the view finder.

Quite frankly, if you're shooting that wide of an aperture, the chances are your subject wont be dead center to begin with.

Also, what lenses do you have that will even show that issue? The canon 50mm f/1.2 is $1,400 and the 35mm f/1.4 L II is $1,800.

Last thing about super wide apertures... Just because a super wide aperture is available, doesn't mean it needs to be shot wide open.

If you google any camera or lens, you'll find lots of unhappy people. They're the loudest.

You wouldn't be unhappy with it . I've used a few of my friend's 70d's, its a very popular entry level video DSLR, and my favorite you tuber used it very extensively before getting the 80d when it dropped.

And in the worst case scenario, couldn't you just have it serviced and/or replaced?

Well i am asking just incase i should go with a 70d like you are saying. I just use a 50mm 1.8 at the moment. Im only really pixel peeping between the 60 and 70d lol. The 80d is way better then both but i kind of want to upgrade asap.may be doing a video soon that requires an upgrade.

I will look into the 70d more. Are you talking about casey neistat? Lol

Well i am asking just incase i should go with a 70d like you are saying. I just use a 50mm 1.8 at the moment. Im only really pixel peeping between the 60 and 70d lol. The 80d is way better then both but i kind of want to upgrade asap.may be doing a video soon that requires an upgrade.

I will look into the 70d more. Are you talking about casey neistat? Lol

Yeah im talking about casey neistat. I watch every single one of his videos. I admire his work ethic.

Yeah i mean honestly the 50mm 1.8 STM isnt really a very sharp lens to begin with in terms of pixel peeping :lol:

Its a great value lens at $100 but it wont be nearly as sharp as the 50mm 1.2 or any other more expensive 50mm.

I really think consumer cameras are on their way out

i been saying that at the effective focal length, flagship phones can out basic DSLRs
disagree ... People that shoot for the gram are happy with phone camera .. People that shot to print will more often than not are not happy. The detail and noise in low light is enough for someone to buy a p&s vice using the phone ...

Straight trash

Again, IMO the fact that is easy to take a phone out for a picture and the fact that most people shoot for a social network, is the reason why point and shoots are dying.

I think in the real world, especially for what most consumers buy cheap nikon/canon cameras for -- vacation pics, pictures of their kids etc

Phones are doing an adequate job.

I know spec per spec DLSRs are superior.

Laptops are superior to tablets but tablets, in the real world, are phasing out most normal consumer uses of laptops.
most consumer use of laptops? Where are you located? True for a minute tablets were gaining ground but the fact that computer manufactor adjusted killed all the momentum tablets had. True they are selling for use of reading basic search and web usage and to ensure extend run software for companies by no way they are replacing laptops. With the surface. 2in1 and other designed the computer world is holding strong. If don't believe me .. Just look at your major electronic retailers. The way tablets have shrunk down is an indicator of that ...

I feel you! Yeah man, sometimes I snap a photo just because. Just keep shooting and the technicalities will come to you easily.

That's the thing, when you bring your camera everywhere, you don't have to shoot everything you see. Just shoot for the moments you really want to capture. I think that's what took me the longest to figure out. I would shoot anything and everything. After shooting film, I learned to be more selective with my shots and that carried over to digital.

Good luck on your journey, homie!

i think much of that is the case for most of us too! definitely go through a similar gauntlet of questions when i'm out with my camera, the more reps you get in the more you know your camera the easier it becomes to not have to think so much about the technical stuff, and the better you get overall hopefully. everybody takes shots that may not end up being anything, but it is part of the process and i do think it helps to just take picture that even if i not sure about it and then ask myself why i thought it was worth taking the photo, if i can answer it hopefully it help me recognize those things for other photos...thinking too much can definitely take you out of the moment but just like with anything, it takes awhile to get out of that thinking stage to the point where you can totally be doing the thing as second nature, totally immersed without having to think at all; every one is trying to get to #thatpart!

Thanks a lot. I'll be in this in between of practicing shooting of everything, while also trying to lay off and shoot only when needed :lol:

I'm sure I'll learn a good comfortable balance in due time. To be at #thatpart :smokin

Last edited:
I really think consumer cameras are on their way out

i been saying that at the effective focal length, flagship phones can out basic DSLRs
disagree ... People that shoot for the gram are happy with phone camera .. People that shot to print will more often than not are not happy. The detail and noise in low light is enough for someone to buy a p&s vice using the phone ...

Straight trash

Again, IMO the fact that is easy to take a phone out for a picture and the fact that most people shoot for a social network, is the reason why point and shoots are dying.

I think in the real world, especially for what most consumers buy cheap nikon/canon cameras for -- vacation pics, pictures of their kids etc

Laptops are superior to tablets but tablets, in the real world, are phasing out most normal consumer uses of laptops.
most consumer use of laptops? Where are you located? True for a minute tablets were gaining ground but the fact that computer manufactor adjusted killed all the momentum tablets had. True they are selling for use of reading basic search and web usage and to ensure extend run software for companies by no way they are replacing laptops. With the surface. 2in1 and other designed the computer world is holding strong. If don't believe me .. Just look at your major electronic retailers. The way tablets have shrunk down is an indicator of that ...

I have to convince my clients to print their photos and I bring a portfolio of printed material to prove my case for printing.

I love printing and I hate the reality that its dying off due to the accessibility of social media and phones.

-

I am located near the bay area and aside from portrait photography and dealing with lots of folks in the real world I work full time and a database software development company.

I've talked to a countless amount of people who prefer to use their tablet over a laptop.

Even my wife opted to upgrade her ipad instead of upgrading her macbook pro which is like 9 years old now :rofl:

I have no idea what the sales and retail stores are doing. Only what the people I've talked to are.

I've even had clients request I DONT sent a flash drive of the images because they no longer have a computer.... its only happened 5 times in the past year but I was still shocked :lol:

I have to convince my clients to print their photos and I bring a portfolio of printed material to prove my case for printing.

I love printing and I hate the reality that its dying off due to the accessibility of social media and phones.

-

I am located near the bay area and aside from portrait photography and dealing with lots of folks in the real world I work full time and a database software development company.

I've talked to a countless amount of people who prefer to use their tablet over a laptop.

Even my wife opted to upgrade her ipad instead of upgrading her macbook pro which is like 9 years old now :rofl:

I have no idea what the sales and retail stores are doing. Only what the people I've talked to are.

I've even had clients request I DONT sent a flash drive of the images because they no longer have a computer.... its only happened 5 times in the past year but I was still shocked :lol:
someone ask for no flash drives? Bruh ... SMH.

They do know that the have flash drives that work in micro usb or ipads.

Again the use of tablets replaces the email and web serch but not a real laptop and with the phones being better than most tablets ... I don't know what is the advantage of a tablet besides a screen siZe which in that case I would go with an ultrabook or a 2 1 ... Just saying.

-

someone ask for no flash drives? Bruh ... SMH.

They do know that the have flash drives that work in micro usb or ipads.

Again the use of tablets replaces the email and web serch but not a real laptop and with the phones being better than most tablets ... I don't know what is the advantage of a tablet besides a screen siZe which in that case I would go with an ultrabook or a 2 1 ... Just saying.

RIGHT???? I asked if they were sure multiple times but they were all perfectly fine with a download like.... whatever.

I personally dont have much use for tablets at all. I like my wife's ipad because i cast media to a chrome cast to our tv :lol:

it isn't even that most people are taking flicks for social, more that most people are interacting with photos through their phones or maybe tablets, smaller screens where the detail resolution of camera phones is enough, add that to the fact that 'serious' cameras are rather complicated in comparison to the phone that is always with them, it is really difficult to see how the largest segment of consumer cameras continues, the enthusiast/prosumer & professional cameras will stick around because that segment is willing to pay for that quality...

for tablets i think it really depends on what people need from a computer, if it is just to browse the web, watch movie & such & tablet is going to be ace for that, but the moment you need to do some actual work...tablets become less useful, especially apple ipads, the surface and some of the android tablets are a bit better but if you out here trying to do anything that resembles work...laptops are still it, tablet sales have fallen probably due to that and most likely because the upgrade cycle is longer for tablets (especially if it is only being used for light stuff) compared to phones or laptops...

djyoung08 djyoung08

Whats a good shutter count for used cameras?

well its like with a car the lower the "better"

I got my 5d mark 2 with over 60k clicks on it for 800 last november w/ a battery grip 3 batteries, shutter release and a few other things i dont use.

I've since put a little under 30k clicks on it with ZERO issues

I'll be looking at 5d mark 3's as soon as these finances clear up. :lol:

djyoung08 djyoung08

Whats a good shutter count for used cameras?

Depends on the camera. Pro cameras can go for 500k. Prosumer can go 150k-200k etc. There's no specific number that you sould go by. Just get the lowest shutter count you can. Personally, I like to have at least 75%-80% of the shutter left.

Oops idk why i taghed hin.
well its like with a car the lower the "better"

I got my 5d mark 2 with over 60k clicks on it for 800 last november w/ a battery grip 3 batteries, shutter release and a few other things i dont use.

I've since put a little under 30k clicks on it with ZERO issues

I'll be looking at 5d mark 3's as soon as these finances clear up. :lol:

yeah im asking cause this 60d im looking at comes with a battery grip and they arent charging extra so i might go for it as long as it works out. trying to find the shutter count though

Back
Top Bottom