The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Dang i just use canon's transmitter and speed lights. receiver is built into the flashes. A lot less hassle imo

Its not a hassle at all. That tech is still relatively recent. Prior to that, the body would trigger the pop-up flash to communicate with the speedlites (that goes for both Nikon and Canon). Radio triggers just made it easier for off camera flash if the speedlites weren't in the line of sight for the pop-up flash. Or if your body didn't have a flash and you used manual speedlites.

Yongnuo also has that kind of flash system you're talking about.

i see.

i remember reading about the flash on camera triggering the off camera flash when i was first reading how to do off camera.

before taking on jobs i had this like altura photo transmitter / receiver / flash setup and it didnt work very reliably.

When i saw that the canon speedlights just worked with the transmitter I was instantly sold & i've never looked back.

I've heard lots of good things about yongnuo flashes

Been taking a crack at some off flash portraits past couple of days. Only thing that sucks is I only have a 15-30mm and 50mm to play with so not really at the focal length that I want but I am making due with what I have. Some of these are really just tests with the lighting and exposure. The posing I still have a lot to learn. I do thoroughly enjoy this style of photography. I know this look isn't always people's favorite since natural light is still a great look and more convenient but it kind of just opens your brain up to think a different way.

lookin good g, i actually just picked up a wireless flash & transmitter recently, this off camera flash stuff is pretty confusing, it legit took me a day & half just to figure out what mode to use, the manual(s) were of zero help. still trying to understand what all the different modes are

lookin good g, i actually just picked up a wireless flash & transmitter recently, this off camera flash stuff is pretty confusing, it legit took me a day & half just to figure out what mode to use, the manual(s) were of zero help. still trying to understand what all the different modes are

Thanks man. Seriously....this stuff is super confusing. I just literally found out I wasn't even shooting on full power. So I assume that means I can shoot more with the sun up rather than always waiting for the sun to go down. I at most, I was shooting at 1/4 power. I am a straight noob with this stuff. Is till don't even know what slave is and other flash terminologies.

The next thing I am a little unsure if is whether to go and get another flash with high speed sync or just get the strobes instead. I know strobes have more power and a better recycle time but Yongnuo has a high speed sync flash that is only like $120 that can shoot to 1/8000 of a second.

This guy used Flashpoint XPLOR 60. They looked super good.

Thanks man. Seriously....this stuff is super confusing. I just literally found out I wasn't even shooting on full power. So I assume that means I can shoot more with the sun up rather than always waiting for the sun to go down. I at most, I was shooting at 1/4 power. I am a straight noob with this stuff. Is till don't even know what slave is and other flash terminologies.

The next thing I am a little unsure if is whether to go and get another flash with high speed sync or just get the strobes instead. I know strobes have more power and a better recycle time but Yongnuo has a high speed sync flash that is only like $120 that can shoot to 1/8000 of a second.

*Birdman hand rub*

I say have a little fun with that engagement shoot and rent a Sony A7 Series camera.

As far as flash goes, I use both strobes and speedlights. Typically my strobes go to the beach and my speedlight is everything else. The speedlight is really just to open up shadows on my subject. I shoot at all times of day with it. I quickly realized that my strobe was too much power and too damn heavy. I like to shoot as wide open as possible. This means that the flash doesnt have to be super powerful. With my strobe I had to use an ND plus use a higher aperture. I say stick to the speedlights and hold off on a strobe. What modifier are you using for your speedlight?

i have that same transmitter as homie in that video (i seen a few of his other vids, he gets some great shots; it doesn't hurt that his wifey is super easy on the eyes as well!), could only get it to trigger my flash off the camera in slave mode...tried every combination of modes on both transmitter & flash, re-read the manual(s) couldn't figure out what i was doing wrong, i'm prolly overlooking something but the high speed sync seems to work though i haven't a clue really what's going on or why

from having been reading up on off camera lighting (which is also somewhat confusing, speedlight = strobe = flash or nah? ), i think it depends on what you want to do, whether you will need the power of a larger strobe or if another flash will do the job, especially since hss with higher shutter speeds supposedly weakens the light output of the flash

The Canon store is still running their 10% off refurbished lenses, most of the good stuff is gone but plenty of quality glass available. Picked up the 85mm USM and 50mm STM, pleased with both, and both make great budget portrait lenses, especially on crop DSLRs. The build quality on the 50mm STM is definitely worth the upgrade price IMO.

i have that same transmitter as homie in that video (i seen a few of his other vids, he gets some great shots; it doesn't hurt that his wifey is super easy on the eyes as well!), could only get it to trigger my flash off the camera in slave mode...tried every combination of modes on both transmitter & flash, re-read the manual(s) couldn't figure out what i was doing wrong, i'm prolly overlooking something but the high speed sync seems to work though i haven't a clue really what's going on or why

from having been reading up on off camera lighting (which is also somewhat confusing, speedlight = strobe = flash or nah? ), i think it depends on what you want to do, whether you will need the power of a larger strobe or if another flash will do the job, especially since hss with higher shutter speeds supposedly weakens the light output of the flash

I think I'll take your word for it. I am just going to work with the flashes for now. I guess since I am working with portraits, no need for the power.

When you can't get out to do what you want to do you have to improvise ...

30289472285_cf370fcf6c_b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still sorting stuff into Lightroom and came across these old shots which I thought were just random but it turns out that 8 years ago I'd taken them for a panorama but never processed.

About 10 shots on my old D40 with my 1976 Nikon 50mm manual lens - no metering or anything with that camera.

Lost my 6D and I'm feeling real lost. I could buy a Mark 2 easily to replace it but I don't know if I could live without that low light performance and wifi. The 6D is such a monster in low light situations + that wifi being able to download images on the fly is so clutch. Can't believe how big of a price difference there is between them now. They were hitting for like the same price when I first bought my 6d.

Lost my 6D and I'm feeling real lost. I could buy a Mark 2 easily to replace it but I don't know if I could live without that low light performance and wifi. The 6D is such a monster in low light situations + that wifi being able to download images on the fly is so clutch. Can't believe how big of a price difference there is between them now. They were hitting for like the same price when I first bought my 6d.

Since you lost your canon, its time to come to the dark side :evil:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1062499-REG/nikon_d_810_digital_slr_body.html

My first DSLR was a D40 then switched to a Rebel XTi lol. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to switching sides but I feel like if I make that switch then mirrorless might just be in the cards.

That 810 is what the Nikon answer to the Mark 3? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to their bodies. 

Yeah.

The d800 series is very comparable to the canon 5d series

did you lose all your lenses too? Why not just cop another 6d? They're not horribly priced at this point. Switching manufactures for a $1,000 body is killer if you have a few $1500+ lenses.

If I had to start all over for some odd reason i'd probably just go with a Sony mirrorless setup. :lol:

So expensive though :x :lol:

^ If I had to start over, I'd be right back in Nikon's camp....

I like nikon's noise more than canons.

Nikon's looks more like film grain.

Canon's looks more like poop.

I like canon's glass more though.

Sometimes I miss my nikon kit. Then i look at the L lenses :evil:

I like Nikon still to this day but seriously got wrapped up in the battle between Canon and Nikon. Having owned both, I still like Nikon and can live with their glass, even though there are a lot of Canon lenses I love.

If you are a Bay Area guy, I do have a 5D mark 2 I am about to sell. I've been holding on to that camera forever cause I am so shook to sell it on CL but I'd do it if it was an NTer. If not, it's about to go on Ebay soon.

Heads up, selling my backup body Sony A3000 for cheap, as well as the pancake kit zoom lens. Makes a great cheap body for manual focus lenses. PM if interested.

Also has anyone ever shot with the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro? I ran into this youtube channel where this guy claims it's one of the best portrait lenses ever and it's like $300-400. Only con is the auto focus is slow but if you are shooting posed stuff, it's supposed to be an excellent lens for the budget.

Also has anyone ever shot with the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro? I ran into this youtube channel where this guy claims it's one of the best portrait lenses ever and it's like $300-400. Only con is the auto focus is slow but if you are shooting posed stuff, it's supposed to be an excellent lens for the budget.

I've heard phenomenal things about that lens.

I use the 100mm canon macro. Got it for like $400.

No regrets.

I might be doing a last minute one day trip to Chicago. Any recommendations for places to shoot. Also like those open garage rooftops to get a good shot of the city and train. I'll be heading towards the bean so around that area. Oh and the best pizza joint. Thanks guys.

I'm still sorting stuff into Lightroom and came across these old shots which I thought were just random but it turns out that 8 years ago I'd taken them for a panorama but never processed.

About 10 shots on my old D40 with my 1976 Nikon 50mm manual lens - no metering or anything with that camera.
Awesome shot mate !!

Lately,

30334422675_4d6196f496_c.jpg

30218596962_c9b4fa401d_c.jpg

30248859201_b49c49f383_c.jpg

More on https://www.instagram.com/manvsovsov/ as always

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom