The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

your instagram is dope. Are all your photos taken with the same set up? What post processing do you use?

Thank You. I use to shoot with a D800, 3 primes, and an 80-200. I switched to the A7RII because I enjoy seeing the actual exposure when shooting natural light and for portability (I travel a lot). I shoot with the 24-105 98% of the time. My other lens is the Zeiss 55 but I rarely pull it out.

As far as processing I use Capture One. IMHO the raw processing of capture one is far superior to Lightroom. I typically get my picture close to where I want it in Capture One and use Photoshop to do minor clean ups.

how consistent is metabones af for you? i do like the way capture one process sony raws, but haven't got the hang of its interface...and lightroom's cataloging seems much easier as well

The metabones is pretty consistent. I don't miss too many shots.

As far as capture one... I agree the interface takes some getting used to. The cataloging system on Lightroom is much better. With that being said once you build a decent capture one workflow its not bad at all. For example, I do everything in sessions instead of a catalogue. Each shoot gets its own session and I store them by month on my computer.

Supposedly the new Capture One 10 is a lot faster than Lightroom as well.

^word, so have you used any or eventually plan of rocking with native sony glass? actually paid for the full version of capture 9 for sony after using capture 8 briefly as a lightroom alternative, and used it like once, so i never took the time get into sessions; might try to get into it again...capture 10 has a free version for sony cameras

^word, so have you used any or eventually plan of rocking with native sony glass? actually paid for the full version of capture 9 for sony after using capture 8 briefly as a lightroom alternative, and used it like once, so i never took the time get into sessions; might try to get into it again...capture 10 has a free version for sony cameras

I use the canon glass because my backup is a 5DMk2. I use the canon whenever I am shooting with with direct flash or in studio. The Sony really can't beat a DSLR in studio because the live view becomes useless and the electronic viewfinder doesn't look to great when it's artificially brightened in low light situations.

here are a couple screenshots of the tone curve shape that i normally gravitate to. that and desaturating but adding luminance to the yellows and adding some slight blue and gray to the split toning module. it's been brought up a couple of times but i can't provide any proper or formal explanation. but here are a couple of pics from the weekend at some places i visited. the skating pics gave me a hard time. i think i was at ISO 4000+-5000 and 1.8 trying to freeze the motion since it was kinda dark inside and i dont have a flash. trying to #embracethegrain as mjbetch advised a while back

edit: new blog post with some additional pics of the weekend https://www.grinfluenza.com/new-blog/2016/12/4/this-is

31292692192_d1eb024107_c.jpg
31292694392_750b1e4aaf_c.jpg
31292696522_be02485dfd_c.jpg
31437633785_16265915af_c.jpg
31067800930_8d5c05cc4a_c.jpg

Last edited:
but here are a couple of pics from the weekend at some places i visited. the skating pics gave me a hard time. i think i was at ISO 4000+-5000 and 1.8 trying to freeze the motion since it was kinda dark inside and i dont have a flash. trying to #embracethegrain as mjbetch advised a while back lol

31292692192_d1eb024107_c.jpg

split toning basically adds colors to the highlights & shadows; it's a good way to create mood in an image in addition to, and with a little more control than, white balance...

kinda as an aside, on an #unrelatedbutrelated note, i always respected skaters but never really knew of how it was or seen when someone really going in before, i mean i played sports so i know what failure/practice is like but after watching a skater repeatedly crash out trying a trick over the course of somewhere around 30+ minutes (felt like way longer to me, can't imagine what is was like for him though) it gave me a whole new perspective on skaters, creative pursuits, and life generally; seeing this dude try & fail, brace himself, pick back up and go at it again was really inspiring, even when he eventually nailed the trick and it appeared he had it figured out, he'd fall again, and just go about the whole thing again and it was like he never landed it...maybe an obvious observation that it parallels to just about endeavor in our lives, but everytime i see a photo of a skater mid trick, i wonder if the trick was even landed, does it even matter, how many times they fell in order to get it down, and about how much they had to work at it...just random aside...

I shot RAW so I did process it before posting.

But the foreground and background were all captured in camera the way its shown.
Crazy bokeh. What lens was it? (Sorry for the noob questions)

Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro lens.

Its just and RGB LED light strip on a reflective surface. That is then propped up on a mirror. i'll send a photo of the set up later today.

I need to post a few more RAW files too.

Any requests? :nerd: portraits? Landscape? :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: IDK what y'all wanna edit :lol:

What did you shoot those on?
pimp.gif
Thanks! 

I shoot on a Nikon D3200 though the second to last pic was shot on my cell phone.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever cleaned their focusing screen on their own? I see a TON of dirt when I look through the viewfinder. They don't show up in pictures, but it is pretty distracting at this point. I've cleaned my sensor, mirror, and lenses and it's been no help. Google search tells me it's probably the focusing screen that's all dirtied up. I saw a few tutorials but I'm not sure I trust myself with taking my camera apart. I'll probably look into taking it into a shop to get professionally cleaned.

Thanks! 

I shoot on a Nikon D3200 though the second to last pic was shot on my cell phone.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever cleaned their focusing screen on their own? I see a TON of dirt when I look through the viewfinder. They don't show up in pictures, but it is pretty distracting at this point. I've cleaned my sensor, mirror, and lenses and it's been no help. Google search tells me it's probably the focusing screen that's all dirtied up. I saw a few tutorials but I'm not sure I trust myself with taking my camera apart. I'll probably look into taking it into a shop to get professionally cleaned.
Changing the focusing screen is extremely easy. The OEM joints even come with the tool you need to change it out. Just 1000% do it in a clean area. Go at it like surgery just to avoid any dust getting on the new screen. I made the mistake of wiping my old one with a cloth and it ended up looking like a litter box. Replaced the focusing screen in my car being dumb and hasty and it still came out clean. Just one speck of dust/dirt. Would of been super clean if I did it in a proper environment.

I even grabbed the screen with the grid lines which is pretty nice.

Last edited:
Changing the focusing screen is extremely easy. The OEM joints even come with the tool you need to change it out. Just 1000% do it in a clean area. Go at it like surgery just to avoid any dust getting on the new screen. I made the mistake of wiping my old one with a cloth and it ended up looking like a litter box. Replaced the focusing screen in my car being dumb and hasty and it still came out super clean. Just one speck of dust/dirt. Would of been super clean if I did it in a proper environment.

I even grabbed the screen with the grid lines which is pretty nice.
Thanks man, this is pretty reassuring! May I ask what kind of camera you worked on?

And could you possibly link me to the new screen you purchased?

Thanks man, this is pretty reassuring! May I ask what kind of camera you worked on?

And could you possibly link me to the new screen you purchased?
I have a Canon 6D. I ordered this online but couldn't wait so ended up driving to the local camera store and picking it up. Seems like you can get them for 5-10 cheaper shipped on the bay. Off brand joints way less. I've seen good reviews on them but the brand name is cheap enough that I just picked it up. Can't comment on if it's the same for Nikon but I'd imagine so.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590409-REG/Canon_3356B001_Eg_D_Precision_Matte_Focusing.html

If you go for a non OEM just make sure the one you buy has the tool to pick it up

Spent a few days in Denver last week

Nice pictures, what brought you out here? I see you went to Rocky Mountain National Park as well.... did you do anything exciting up there?

Nothing too crazy. I was only in town for 2 full days, really. I've just never been and my brother and I happened to find some decently priced tickets so we went off.

Rocky Mountain National Park was beautiful but we were pretty underdressed for hiking in the snow. I wanted to go to the Mount Evans Scenic Byway but time constraints and all that. I'd definitely like to visit again sometime

Nice shots everyone!

bjamez20 nice serie there !!

More on https://www.instagram.com/manvsovsov/ as usual

I'm really diggin the last two shots on your ig. Makes me want to plan a trip out there :smokin

I finally got my mefoto tripod in! Never been more excited to get a tripod haha. It feels a lot sturdier than my $15 dolica tripod I got a few years back.

Even the carrying bag feels much much better than the dolica.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom