The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Some new edits from some recent shoots

and adjusting the tone curve to add the fade?

I know...I messaged him asking him for some tips...I'm just being impatient. lol
Contrast can help with that too. Turning up the contrast can give a pic a grey-er tone if I remember correctly

Tuning down the saturation.

I know...I messaged him asking him for some tips...I'm just being impatient. lol

The fade / matte finish i think you're referring to is achieved by raising the blacks (left side) in the tone curve.

here's pretty good tutorial that has a similar look... that "cinematic" look in lighroom where the colors are punchy, yellow highlights, white or blue shadows, and a matte finish via raised blacked.

The idea with using a tutorial like this is to understand the tools that are at your disposal so you can achieve the look you want. Not necessarily to just copy the look and not learn learning.

The fade / matte finish i think you're referring to is achieved by raising the blacks (left side) in the tone curve.

here's pretty good tutorial that has a similar look... that "cinematic" look in lighroom where the colors are punchy, yellow highlights, white or blue shadows, and a matte finish via raised blacked.

The idea with using a tutorial like this is to understand the tools that are at your disposal so you can achieve the look you want. Not necessarily to just copy the look and not learn learning.
Thanks guys for the insight...I've been reading and watching tutorials on Lightroom. I'm taking it in steps, because it seems overwhelming at times.

@JordanSF
on a side note. my mom's wedding is this weekend. she already has a photographer but i wanted to take some shots for myself and for my own keepsake. does anyone have any small tips or things to keep in mind? i don't have a external flash, only an on camera flash diffuser. im not expecting much as i don't have much, but any pointers would be much appreciated if possible. thanks and great stuff in here as usual.

Get a long lens for sure. 85mm or even longer if you can get it. Are you posing your mom in some shots or are you just taking stuff as she walks down the isle or whatever? If you are actually doing some portrait shots, just make sure to have the sun in the right areas. If you are shooting just candid stuff, make sure to shoot on burst mode and even AP just so you don't have to fiddle with the exposure.

I am sure there are some others that can chime in as well since they shoot more wedding stuff.

Cool. So the car is coming towards the camera, and you keep the shutter open for a long time and snap the photo before the car itself actually gets in the shot?

It can be to or away. Either or works really. It even looks like in that photo the camera stopped or started late since you can see the beginning of the lights. It's all sort of a trial and error. You sort of just have to sit there and just wait to get the good shot on that right car.

Thanks guys for the insight...I've been reading and watching tutorials on Lightroom. I'm taking it in steps, because it seems overwhelming at times.

It really is. Lighroom and editing RAWs in general is crazy because you can take almost any image in any direction.

Color grading in particular is a huge pain in the butt for me as I am color blind :lol: :x

@JordanSF good gawd man. that entire set is beautiful. im admittedly not much of an outdoor person at this point in my life but i really like and appreciate how you captured the nature/scenery and mood of the location for those of us that haven't been there before. to piggyback fong, i think several of us are interested to know what length you're shooting at and what you take with you lol. djyoung08 djyoung08 those glitter portraits look great, well done.

on a side note. my mom's wedding is this weekend. she already has a photographer but i wanted to take some shots for myself and for my own keepsake. does anyone have any small tips or things to keep in mind? i don't have a external flash, only an on camera flash diffuser. im not expecting much as i don't have much, but any pointers would be much appreciated if possible. thanks and great stuff in here as usual.

Use as long of a lens as possible.

communicate with the photographer
. They've been paid a lot of money to do a very specific job. Just ask if you can get in a few portrait shots and if everything is going according to schedule, im sure he/she will let you hop in and snap some shots of your mom. Im sure they'll help you out and everything.

I've done this at like 5-6 weddings. Love helping people out.

Its infuriating though, as a wedding photographer, when i spend 2-3 minutes posing the bride / groom and someone steps in front of me with an iPad, takes a shot, looks back, gives me a surprised look and says "oh haha!! SORRY!" :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :lol:

JUST ASK!!! :rofl:

Last edited:
Its infuriating though, as a wedding photographer, when i spend 2-3 minutes posing the bride / groom and someone steps in front of me with an iPad, takes a shot, looks back, gives me a surprised look and says "oh haha!! SORRY!"
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
laugh.gif

JUST ASK!!!
roll.gif
roll.gif
Sounds just like my wife's Uncle at our wedding 
mean.gif

Had a day out on the 27th and just sitting down to have a look at some. Quite pleased with this one - although the light would have been better 20 minutes before.

dang @JordanSF :pimp: im glad you're getting out of that funk. I've been there. great work and loving your edits and hot friend lol

Man Oregon looks beautiful. I've been itching to get out of the city and shoot something else.

Tuning down the saturation.

If you use LR/PS then download the Nik collection - you used to have to pay for it but now it's free. It has some cool presets - the black and white ones are good and there are tons of others to give a vintage/film look or whatever you want.

Sup y'all it's been a minute, been on a hiatus these last couple of months, depression is a pain in the ***. Didn't like any of my shots, edits, drone vids, etc. Slowly getting inspired these last couple of weeks so I decided to try some new ways to edit since I couldn't edit 1 or 2 shots without getting annoyed/fatigued and came up with a temporary solution which hopefully helps me get to the next step and fully enjoy editing again. Having found this I decided to edit of my major trips earlier this year the right way, which was my first trip to the PNW (Oregon) with my friend on spring break. I owed her a bunch of shots too which kind of sparked finding myself again lol. One thing I've always wanted to do as well is get some footage for video from my adventures so I really wanted to try that on this trip so forgive my amateur editing it was my first video with hopefully more to follow from other adventures. Any feedback/criticism is welcome, enjoy!

hopefully you are on the other side of it bruv, awesome images!

It really is. Lighroom and editing RAWs in general is crazy because you can take almost any image in any direction.

Color grading in particular is a huge pain in the butt for me as I am color blind :lol: :x

say word? how severe? red green?

Contrast can help with that too. Turning up the contrast can give a pic a grey-er tone if I remember correctly

turning up the contrast would remove tonality and make the image tonality more stark overall, which could be useful in images that have been matted but turning down the contrast will actually grey it out...

*Gotta vent real quick lol*

Welp, the moment I've been waiting for since late Oct is practically here. The hats I ordered will be here expected this Saturday and I will be able to start the new year with my first shipment of products since 2009ish.

That rare feeling of nervousness is setting in as I prepare to take pics and get my online store ready. Still don't have a DSLR but I have my trusty superzoom and if I can I'll be trying to take some pics Sunday and be ready to sell Monday. I'll post pics of what I come up with. Once these are sold I'll be moving right along and getting my cam and with all the advice considered I've decided against getting the D2x and getting the D700. The fact that it's full frame has overridden my love for the already attached battery grip. Almost considering going for broke and getting the D3 like I really want but I can't put myself that far in the red. Maybe once I get a lens I'll sell the 700 and upgrade.

All in all, can't wait to get back out there and get down with the get down with y'all. Carry on lol

And another 2.

I'm a little disappointed with the second one - the water was so powerful that it makes the soft ground vibrate, just enough to take the sharpness off things. The guy I was with was using a really dense filter so his exposures were 2 minutes but he couldn't get it to work - mine was only around a second so I got away with just subtle blur - his were unusable.

And another 2.

I'm a little disappointed with the second one - the water was so powerful that it makes the soft ground vibrate, just enough to take the sharpness off things. The guy I was with was using a really dense filter so his exposures were 2 minutes but he couldn't get it to work - mine was only around a second so I got away with just subtle blur - his were unusable.
Noob question since I've never done this but to get that effect with the water, generally what should your shutter speed be at?

New or used? If it matters I'd wait until the 6D mark ll comes out. I have the 6D myself and I love it.

I'm going used, I just want to have funds when I find a great deal on a minty one, really don't mind waiting close to the release of the 6DII as the current price is bit high for me at the moment. Already own an A7 but the lenses are much more affordable on the Canon side.

*Gotta vent real quick lol*

Welp, the moment I've been waiting for since late Oct is practically here. The hats I ordered will be here expected this Saturday and I will be able to start the new year with my first shipment of products since 2009ish.

That rare feeling of nervousness is setting in as I prepare to take pics and get my online store ready. Still don't have a DSLR but I have my trusty superzoom and if I can I'll be trying to take some pics Sunday and be ready to sell Monday. I'll post pics of what I come up with. Once these are sold I'll be moving right along and getting my cam and with all the advice considered I've decided against getting the D2x and getting the D700. The fact that it's full frame has overridden my love for the already attached battery grip. Almost considering going for broke and getting the D3 like I really want but I can't put myself that far in the red. Maybe once I get a lens I'll sell the 700 and upgrade.

All in all, can't wait to get back out there and get down with the get down with y'all. Carry on lol

To date, the d700 is my favorite camera I have ever owned. Seems like a great choice. The difference between the d3 and the d700 are fps, dual flash cards, and a non-removable grip. All of those are not really that necessary in my opinion. Good luck man. 2017 can't be as bad as 2016. I'm sure you'll do fine. Let me know if you're still interested in that grip for the D700

Noob question since I've never done this but to get that effect with the water, generally what should your shutter speed be at?
Depends on the speed of the water. The other guys didn't come out right because the amount of shake in the ground caused by the water made the picture shakey and unsuable. Also depends on how bright the environment is and if you are using a filter

To date, the d700 is my favorite camera I have ever owned. Seems like a great choice. The difference between the d3 and the d700 are fps, dual flash cards, and a non-removable grip. All of those are not really that necessary in my opinion. Good luck man. 2017 can't be as bad as 2016. I'm sure you'll do fine. Let me know if you're still interested in that grip for the D700
I'll keep you in mind, if I do grab the 700 I'll def PM you about the grip, thanks again

Depends on the speed of the water. The other guys didn't come out right because the amount of shake in the ground caused by the water made the picture shakey and unsuable. Also depends on how bright the environment is and if you are using a filter
Care to elaborate on the filter aspect of this? Never shot with one, interested in learning more.

nvm just read up on it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom