The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Having a hard time gettig good bokeh with my friends 24-70. Must I be at 70mm to get decent bokeh? Im already at 2.8 and even then the bokeh is eh at 70.

Bokeh for that lens is only so good. I think bokeh for that aperture is better at 200mm. Canon has the 135mm and at f/2 it is fine but f/2 on say a 50mm or even the 85mm is not going to be as good as f/1.8 or lower.

Plus you have a crop body right? That adds to it as well. Bokeh is better on a full frame, even if it is subtle.

I can get great bokeh from my 50mm no problem. DJ makes a good point about the subject being far from the background but ive tried that as well and the only way I can get decent bokeh is if im at 70mm. The 50 all I do is set it to 1.8 and I can grt the bokeh seemingly anywhere with any background.

Now that ive been shooting with my friends 24-70 for a few days, I much rather use my 24 and 50mm's.

^
Same, and the sunsets out in AZ are crazy! Heading back home today though and won't have a chance to catch it.

Funny thing is this building is right by the dorm I stayed in at ASU, before I was into photography. One of my colleagues had a picture of it as his background, and straight refused to share it with anyone. Nice to finally get back and capture it.

I can get great bokeh from my 50mm no problem. DJ makes a good point about the subject being far from the background but ive tried that as well and the only way I can get decent bokeh is if im at 70mm. The 50 all I do is set it to 1.8 and I can grt the bokeh seemingly anywhere with any background.

Now that ive been shooting with my friends 24-70 for a few days, I much rather use my 24 and 50mm's.

Yeah....that is the lack of quality with zooms. There are only so many that can rival that of primes. That is where you sort of have to have the right gear for the right event. Primes are excellent for posed people but zooms are just that much more efficient in more on the spot situations like weddings and what not. For what you are shooting, 50mm on a crop is perfect. Try and rent/buy the Canon 85mm f/1.8. That lens is tack sharp and has good bokeh. You might have to be aways from your subject matter but it will get some good stuff

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677442,&A=details&Q=

Yeah....that is the lack of quality with zooms. There are only so many that can rival that of primes. That is where you sort of have to have the right gear for the right event. Primes are excellent for posed people but zooms are just that much more efficient in more on the spot situations like weddings and what not. For what you are shooting, 50mm on a crop is perfect. Try and rent/buy the Canon 85mm f/1.8. That lens is tack sharp and has good bokeh. You might have to be aways from your subject matter but it will get some good stuff

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051677442,&A=details&Q=

I also have a canon 85mm 1.8 i'm willing to get rid of :lol: :nerd:

Do I honestly need it if I have a 50mm?

I hate having to stand so far away from the camera with the 50. The 70 is deep, now 85? :lol:

I hate having to stand so far away from the camera with the 50. The 70 is deep, now 85? :lol:

The longer the lens, the better full body bokeh shots you can get and with more blur. You essentially don't need it but you can get a different look for sure. 50mm works great for bust shots and some full body but it lacks that nice real blur that a longer lens can do.

Check out this photo below. Notice how different the look can be. If you care for the look, than the investment is worth it but don't be fooled that bokeh is always the way to go. It's like any art form. Do it if it compliments the photo but don't do it just to get blur.

p1792110076-5.jpg

^also you could change the the amount of blur by changing the distance between the camera & the subject as well as what was already said, the subject to the background...it will of course, change the framing; you won't be able to get the same type of blur you get with a 50mm 1.8 on any zoom lens that doesn't have a 1.8 aperture

Interesting. Ive gotten nice blur with the 50 with full body shots. There would be a more intense blur with an 85? Id just hate my shooter to be so far away.

This is basically what I like my bokeh to be when doing shoots. I usually sharpen it up a bit more on IG before I post.

Last edited:
Interesting. Ive gotten nice blur with the 50 with full body shots. There would be a more intense blur with an 85? Id just hate my shooter to be so far away.

This is basically what I like my bokeh to be when doing shoots. I usually sharpen it up a bit more on IG before I post.

its because of how far you are from the background.

even at f/4 it would have been blurry way back there.

The longer the lens, the better full body bokeh shots you can get and with more blur. You essentially don't need it but you can get a different look for sure. 50mm works great for bust shots and some full body but it lacks that nice real blur that a longer lens can do.

Check out this photo below. Notice how different the look can be. If you care for the look, than the investment is worth it but don't be fooled that bokeh is always the way to go. It's like any art form. Do it if it compliments the photo but don't do it just to get blur.

p1792110076-5.jpg

DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!

Ahhh I just noticed the text on the bottom right. I see. I still dont like the idea of having to be so far to shoot. Any real life problems with this? I feel the 50 im already far.

Yeah....long lenses get sort of weird just as wide ones. Like you can bokeh on a wide angle but you have to be super close. With long lenses, you can bokeh way easier depending on your subject matter is to the background. Even if you stopped down, a bokeh would still be there considering your subject matter is just away from the background. I rented the 70-300mm ones and at 300mm and even at f/10, I got background blur when shooting people.

Stick to the 50mm. It's essentially almost a 85mm anyways which is the portrait lens standard. I'd only do longer if you can't reach your subject matter like animals or sports. If you can essentially work with a model, there is no need to be so far.

Ahhh I just noticed the text on the bottom right. I see. I still dont like the idea of having to be so far to shoot. Any real life problems with this? I feel the 50 im already far.

Not really. I rarely shoot portraits less than 85mm. I like to go a long as i can (200mm) for as much background compression (and bokeh) as possible. 85mm is usually a sweet spot for me between being able be close to my subject and compression for bokeh.

But 50 at 1.8 will get you plenty of background blur.

Yeah....long lenses get sort of weird just as wide ones. Like you can bokeh on a wide angle but you have to be super close. With long lenses, you can bokeh way easier depending on your subject matter is to the background. Even if you stopped down, a bokeh would still be there considering your subject matter is just away from the background. I rented the 70-300mm ones and at 300mm and even at f/10, I got background blur when shooting people.

Stick to the 50mm. It's essentially almost a 85mm anyways which is the portrait lens standard. I'd only do longer if you can't reach your subject matter like animals or sports. If you can essentially work with a model, there is no need to be so far.

50mm on a crop sensor isnt like having an 85mm in terms of compression and image rendition.

It is like having 85mm in terms of where your feet need to be in relation to the subject.

Picasso ...

I'll do a one on one workshop... Won't charge you nothing but a pair of yezzy.

But if not, just read an experiment.

The distance between subject and camera and subject from background is just as important for bokeh as aperture settings.

Leaning toward upgrading to a 6D, have to let go the aps-c lenses to lessen the blow. If anyone interested in Canon 10-18 STM, 24

STM, 55-250 STM, and the Sigma 17-50 let me know, before I post them on FM. Lens hood included except the 24 STM.

you still have any of these?

Happy New Years guys!!

I'm shopping for new camera bag and was wondering if anyone owns a Rucksack from Brevite. Id love some input from you guys or maybe recommendations for something similar. i like that its a camera book bag but looks like a regular backpack as well. thanks a lot fellas.

https://brevite.co/product/lightweight-photography-daypack/

i use the regular backpack. had it since maybe February of last year. really dope backpack i love it. doesnt look like a camera bag so it doesnt look like something people will go after to steal lol. ruck sack looks nice. they didnt have that when i got mine lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom