The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

@bjamez20
  @manusousou
  @Fongstarr

Solid shots as usual y'all

@mjbetch

Dude, dope shots like always. You're going to love SF if you haven't already visited before haha

@erdyawron

Digging the last shot you posted as well as the edit. 

To add to @dragicon
's critique, in my opinion it always looks better when your edits are consistent, which to me makes it look like a true set. For ex. Shots 2-4 have three different edits of the same model and clothing. If I was on the outside looking in I'd think they were shot on different days w/ the same clothing. If you stuck to one edit like the last shot you posted I'd know they were all from the same shoot.  I have trouble deciding at first on the style and look of the edit for each set since I have too many options sometimes but once I decide on one I want to be consistent with the rest and have them all connect with one another if that makes sense. Otherwise I think your framing and composition is solid and you're only going to get better. Keep it up man.

Thanks for the advice jordansf jordansf , I totally get the consistency part and will apply that going forth, just makes sense, I just like to experiment sometimes haha.

jordansf jordansf Your shots bro, LIT!!!!! haha. What focal lengths were you using?

And yeah, I've been to SF numerous times. Absolutely love it there. One of my favorite places to photograph ever. Hopefully we can link up!

Also, night shots, do you guys always use a tripod? 

For landscapes at night, yeah. I always use some kind of tripod. For me, there's really no point in shooting a landscape at night if it's just grainy. Try to make it as clean as possible.

For landscapes at night, yeah. I always use some kind of tripod. For me, there's really no point in shooting a landscape at night if it's just grainy. Try to make it as clean as possible.
Thanks dude. Thats what I though.

Just need to find a reasonably priced tripod now. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks dude. Thats what I though.

Just need to find a reasonably priced tripod now. Anyone have any suggestions?

What's your budget? I'm a firm believer in buying once at a little higher price than buying multiple times at a smaller price.

What's your budget? I'm a firm believer in buying once at a little higher price than buying multiple times at a smaller price.
I'd prefer to spend under $100 right now and am looking for something that is fairly easy to travel with.

I'd prefer to spend under $100 right now and am looking for something that is fairly easy to travel with.

You're really not going to find anything of quality under $100. I recommend the Manfrotto BeFree. There are different variations of it with prices ranging from low $100's to over $300 (for the carbon fiber version).

I'd probably get this if I absolutely had to stick as close to $100 if possible.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...kbfr1a4b_bhus_befree_one_aluminum_tripod.html

You're really not going to find anything of quality under $100. I recommend the Manfrotto BeFree. There are different variations of it with prices ranging from low $100's to over $300 (for the carbon fiber version).

I'd probably get this if I absolutely had to stick as close to $100 if possible.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...kbfr1a4b_bhus_befree_one_aluminum_tripod.html
Well that's good to know. 

I don't know anything about tripods so I'll spend more if I need to.

Like you said I would rather buy something that's going to last than have to continuously replace it.

Well that's good to know. 
I don't know anything about tripods so I'll spend more if I need to.
Like you said I would rather buy something that's going to last than have to continuously replace it.

Here's the tripod i use:
http://amzn.to/2mHa8gL

please note.... i dont have demanding tripod needs.

Solid work per usual @JordanSF

More drone shots...hopefully you guys aren't sick of these 
laugh.gif

I got the Mefoto Roadside with the twist locks and as much as I didn't think they'd be a problem, they are a hassle to setup at times. I sort of miss the traditional locks but I got a decent deal on the Mefoto. It is a lot heavier as well which ads to the weight of my bag so be aware of that if you are bring one for traveling or what not.

Another photography group I'm part of put out a challenge to re-process old work.

I really enjoyed re-imagining the original edit... This shot is from 6 months ago... Here's I came up with

My original edit

Very fun and eye opening exercise

When shooting scenery/landscapes, how do you decide which focal length to shoot at? And also what to focus on?

Sorry for all the questions today, just a lot coming to mind

When shooting scenery/landscapes, how do you decide which focal length to shoot at? And also what to focus on?
Sorry for all the questions today, just a lot coming to mind

It all sort of depends on what you are shooting and how far or close you are. You can shoot landscapes from a far using zooms but I would say majority like to shoot wide and be up close. You can always shoot panoramic as well if you don't have the right lens to cover your landscape. A tripod is an absolute must imo. As far as subject matter, that also depends on what you are shooting. There are times where you might be so close to your foreground that you might not be able to get everything sharp in focus with the foreground and background and even at a smaller aperture like f/22. That is where you focus stack where you take a pic of the foreground and background in 2 separate pictures and blend them in as one.

new_depth-of-field.jpg

Usually the rule of thumb though is to shoot with lowest ISO and at about f/12-f/22 to get everything in focus. Of course if there is no light, you will have to change your setting accordingly. Also your settings depend on if you want to do a long exposure or a freeze frame. There are a lot of variables to landscapes but once you shoot all types of things, it gets easy. For example, star photos is usually shooting with your f-stop really open with your ISO at 3200 where as say shooting a waterfall is a low ISO with a more closed f-stop.

It all sort of depends on what you are shooting and how far or close you are. You can shoot landscapes from a far using zooms but I would say majority like to shoot wide and be up close. You can always shoot panoramic as well if you don't have the right lens to cover your landscape. A tripod is an absolute must imo. As far as subject matter, that also depends on what you are shooting. There are times where you might be so close to your foreground that you might not be able to get everything sharp in focus with the foreground and background and even at a smaller aperture like f/22. That is where you focus stack where you take a pic of the foreground and background in 2 separate pictures and blend them in as one.

new_depth-of-field.jpg

Usually the rule of thumb though is to shoot with lowest ISO and at about f/12-f/22 to get everything in focus. Of course if there is no light, you will have to change your setting accordingly. Also your settings depend on if you want to do a long exposure or a freeze frame. There are a lot of variables to landscapes but once you shoot all types of things, it gets easy. For example, star photos is usually shooting with your f-stop really open with your ISO at 3200 where as say shooting a waterfall is a low ISO with a more closed f-stop.
Thanks dude appreciate the info

Definitely need to get out more to shoot and read up on it too but its helpful to get a baseline of info

Thanks @Remy, just followed you back but I'm kinda afraid I'm gonna end up with a closet full of NBs now 
laugh.gif

@dragicon  
roll.gif
  you should see the dogs lose their **** when the drone's in the air, it's pretty good 

Back
Top Bottom