The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

@dragicon

This pic is amazing , pure gold. 

Concur with another NTer if you're gonna print it in a larger format I'll be down to get one signed by you, or numbered by you 

Keep me updated if you decide to 

I would buy a print of this as well.

20x30 please.

^ thanks broski. I'm looking into the cost, I'll certainly send you a pm later this week.

@dragicon
 I'd be down to get a print of that as well if you choose to get a few made

Thanks guys, I'll send you a PM later this week.

Just wrapped up the edits from my friends City Hall wedding that I shot months back.

@Fongstarr super clean shots. can i ask what is your external lighting set up when you do sessions like this? like how much lighting equipment is involved be it flashes and reflectors and things of that nature.

Last edited:
@Fongstarrsuper clean shots. can i ask what is your external lighting set up when you do sessions like this? like how much lighting equipment is involved be it flashes and reflectors and things of that nature.

This is City Hall in SF and it has pretty much 3 stories to it with the top have the most natural light and the bottom having none.

32879887.jpg

This place actually is great to shoot all natural light when the sun is out and it's overcast. The light just leaks in perfecting where you don't need anything else. On the bottom floors is where people would want to shoot with flash. There is another area where people get married that has only electrical light and creates nothing but yellow photos. I had to convert some photos into black and what cause the color was so bad. I did this shoot as a favor for my friend but it was a lot of work considering. It's tough trying to pose people when you know it's going to be a bad shot but they insist you take it because background is better.

JoDeVa89....man, you got dope stuff. You shoot mostly natural light right? As much as I do like shooting external flash, it's just so damn hard to set that up right unless you just have tons of time. I am like to scared to try and prep all that up only to ruin shots. A reflector would be good but you would needs an assistant too.

hey guys whats the best uv filter or one you recommend? i want to protect my camera lens when i go to shoot. i usually just keep taking the cap on and off the whole time. i have a best buy gift card i want to use.

hey guys whats the best uv filter or one you recommend? i want to protect my camera lens when i go to shoot. i usually just keep taking the cap on and off the whole time. i have a best buy gift card i want to use.

I'm probably in the overwhelming minority but I dont recommend using a UV filter at all.

**Flame suit on**

^^^^^I would normally agree but my 24mm lens took a spill years back and even though it's an L lens, I do have dent on it that prevents other filters going on. If I had a UV filter on it, it'd probably still be in new condition.

^^^^^I would normally agree but my 24mm lens took a spill years back and even though it's an L lens, I do have dent on it that prevents other filters going on. If I had a UV filter on it, it'd probably still be in new condition.

See i just dont believe that the filter would have absorbed so much of the shock that it would have actually prevented that from happening.

Versus say something like a lens hood.

And of course, this can get into a huge "what if" debate :lol:

See i just dont believe that the filter would have absorbed so much of the shock that it would have actually prevented that from happening.

I have personally seen my friend have his 5d3 + wide angle canon lens, fall off his lap at lunch. It landed directly on the edge of the lens, in a near vertical orientation. The filter was blown to smithereens, but the lens and camera survived, with minimal damage. He acted like it was no big deal, so I'm sure it had happened to him in the past with similar results.

I have personally seen my friend have his 5d3 + wide angle canon lens, fall off his lap at lunch. It landed directly on the edge of the lens, in a near vertical orientation. The filter was blown to smithereens, but the lens and camera survived, with minimal damage. He acted like it was no big deal, so I'm sure it had happened to him in the past with similar results.

And im also sure we've seen the video of tony northup literally shoving a stick and random stuff into the front element of his lens trying to break it.

I dont know enough about physics, but i hardly believe a filter absorbs that much shock from the total distributed PSI of a drop.

Basically what im getting at is that filter or not, enough impact can damage your equipment and the required impact to damage your lens is more than the amount of impact required to damage a filter.

Like, I dont get why its so shocking that a 20, 50, 100, or 200 filter is less durable than a 2,000+ lens and breaks under less total impact then said lens.

I'm also not willing to run the experiments myself :rofl: :rofl:

And of course, this can get into a huge "what if" debate
laugh.gif
And im also sure we've seen the video of tony northup literally shoving a stick and random stuff into the front element of his lens trying to break it.

I dont know enough about physics, but i hardly believe a filter absorbs that much shock from the total distributed PSI of a drop.

Basically what im getting at is that filter or not, enough impact can damage your equipment and the required impact to damage your lens is more than the amount of impact required to damage a filter.

Like, I dont get why its so shocking that a 20, 50, 100, or 200 filter is less durable than a 2,000+ lens and breaks under less total impact then said lens.

I'm also not willing to run the experiments myself
roll.gif
roll.gif

Haha.....that first video is a photographers nightmare. Like a total freak accident that happens in seconds that will costs hundreds to fix.

I'm also not willing to run the experiments myself :rofl: :rofl:

Video 1 - A lens hood would have protected the lens from this

Video 2 - Did not answer my last point:

Theoria Apophasis is a fun channel to watch. been subbed to him a couple years.

Notice that he didn't actually hit the front element of the lens without the filter to prove it was undeniably the filter that saved the lens and not the fact that the front element of the lens is just harder to break.......

i don't rock with uv filters on the simple reasoning that why put another piece of glass/optic over the lens (other nd filters or polarizers)...but i do think there are a good number of scenarios where whatever modicum of protection it provides would be useful or better than not having it...

#lazyleisurelife

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

yeah nobody can convince me that a 10, 20, 50, 100$ piece of crap is protecting my 800, 1000, 1500, 2000$ lenses.

lens hoods > uv basura

Well, I've since given it to my parents, by my older styled Nikon 80-400 has a few chips and scratches in the front element. That lens has a massive hood, that I always had on it. How it got scratched or chipped, I have no idea... but it did. If I had a filter on it, it's likely that would have never happened. I don't usually use filters, but I will put it on if I know the camera is going to get some use.

I've been at great sand dunes national park with my 24-70, and 30+ mph winds. If I didn't have the filter on for that, the front element would have been severely damaged from the sand.

I don't see why it's such a big deal. Some people feel they need the extra protection, others don't. I get rid of my phones after AppleCare runs out because I like that assurance of if something happens to my phone, I can get it replaced. I've had every model of the phone, and I have yet to have one break from dropping it. Does that mean I should stop paying for it? Maybe... but I like to have less stress in my life than to be worrying and babying my equipment at all times.

yeah nobody can convince me that a 10, 20, 50, 100$ piece of crap is protecting my 800, 1000, 1500, 2000$ lenses.

lens hoods > uv basura

Well, I've since given it to my parents, by my older styled Nikon 80-400 has a few chips and scratches in the front element. That lens has a massive hood, that I always had on it. How it got scratched or chipped, I have no idea... but it did. If I had a filter on it, it's likely that would have never happened. I don't usually use filters, but I will put it on if I know the camera is going to get some use.

I've been at great sand dunes national park with my 24-70, and 30+ mph winds. If I didn't have the filter on for that, the front element would have been severely damaged from the sand.

I don't see why it's such a big deal. Some people feel they need the extra protection, others don't. I get rid of my phones after AppleCare runs out because I like that assurance of if something happens to my phone, I can get it replaced. I've had every model of the phone, and I have yet to have one break from dropping it. Does that mean I should stop paying for it? Maybe... but I like to have less stress in my life than to be worrying and babying my equipment at all times.

it really isnt a big deal.

I just love a good debate and i like defending my point :smile:

im sure one day i'll post in here extremely pissed off that i broke one of my lenses that could have been saved with filters :rofl:

I'm probably in the overwhelming minority but I dont recommend using a UV filter at all.

**Flame suit on**

basically i want to be able to walk around and not have to keep taking my lens cap on and off. i could care less about drop protection as i have gone without one for so long already. i want one more so for dust protection and the like.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom