The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Sigma ART series has 30mm & 35mm 1.4 for 1/4 the price but the AF is weak as hell!

Last edited:
Sigma ART series has 30mm & 35mm 1.4 for 1/4 the price but the AF is weak as hell!

I would only get it if I was solely doing portrait shoots. Any live action stuff like even weddings, I would get the Canon but I saw someone using the Sigma 35mm this weekend and as long as you take your time, you can get some good stuff.

I would only get it if I was solely doing portrait shoots. Any live action stuff like even weddings, I would get the Canon but I saw someone using the Sigma 35mm this weekend and as long as you take your time, you can get some good stuff.

To me, there is too much money at stake for disclaimers like that about lenses.

I'd never buy a car that sometimes the right blinker doesn't turn on. :lol:

I have such a hard time recommending sigma glass after my poor experiences w/ specifically the 35 art.

Which do you guys truly prefer in terms of quality and just in general? Primes vs. zooms. I realize all lenses are different, obviously zooms are more versatile but primes make you get up and see things in a different perspective.

I prefer primes but zooms are much more available and within my price range lol

I really hate that I'm rebuilding my setup. Looking at prices of stuff I've had and lost is frustrating. Looking back at wifi SD Cards and OTG tethering capable phones/tablets. Family pics this weekend, wish me luck

I have such a hard time recommending sigma glass after my poor experiences w/ specifically the 35 art.

If people are disciplined enough, they can work with that Sigma lens though. I've been there where buying camera gear was super hard. I hated the fact that I could only get what I can get with the setup I had but honestly, I know people that make their budget gear work but I am sure that kind of puts them in a niche category where you wouldn't want to rely on them say shooting a wedding. Even for me and my Mark 3, shooting sport is so damn challenging. I was on the coastline over the weekend and there was a ton of wind surfers and I shot about 50 photos and almost 90% were all blurry. I mean I am sure a 1DX would solve a lot of my problems but for what I need, I really only want like 1 photo to come out clear. Anyways....if you aren't into shooting it all and just want a lens for hobbiest reasons, the Sigma would probably be fine.

If people are disciplined enough, they can work with that Sigma lens though. I've been there where buying camera gear was super hard. I hated the fact that I could only get what I can get with the setup I had but honestly, I know people that make their budget gear work but I am sure that kind of puts them in a niche category where you wouldn't want to rely on them say shooting a wedding. Even for me and my Mark 3, shooting sport is so damn challenging. I was on the coastline over the weekend and there was a ton of wind surfers and I shot about 50 photos and almost 90% were all blurry. I mean I am sure a 1DX would solve a lot of my problems but for what I need, I really only want like 1 photo to come out clear. Anyways....if you aren't into shooting it all and just want a lens for hobbiest reasons, the Sigma would probably be fine.

I dont consider sigma art lenses to be budget gear, though.

For an $900* prime lens, i expect the autofocus to work consistency. Not 75% of the time.

Last edited:
Which do you guys truly prefer in terms of quality and just in general? Primes vs. zooms. I realize all lenses are different, obviously zooms are more versatile but primes make you get up and see things in a different perspective.

A quality zoom has the potential of "beating" a crappy prime.

For example, i'll take canon's 24-70 L II 2.8 ( http://amzn.to/2rqfJ0G ) over their 40mm 2.8 pancake ( http://amzn.to/2qHhqD6 ).

However, the 24-70 is like $1,700 and the pancake is about $180

so be careful when people say PRIMES >>>> ZOOMS.

-

On the flip side of that, I will take the canon 85mm 1.2L II ( http://amzn.to/2sfqqB6 ) or the 135 2L ( http://amzn.to/2soonda ) over the 70-200 2.8L IS II ( http://amzn.to/2sfkkRr ) when shooting portraits.

But if i had none of those 3, I would go for the 70-200 2.8L IS II first.

-

In light of your current situation, in my bag is a 24-70 2.8 ( http://amzn.to/2rqfJ0G ) and not a 35 prime. This, however, is based on my needs. Never one time have I had my 24-70 on and said "gee, i wish i could open my aperture larger than 2.8". Yet when I did use the Sigma 35mm art 1.4 prime ( http://amzn.to/2sfgDeB ), I hated it and it missed focus about 25% of my shots. I even offered a reshoot to the client because I was so unhappy.

Now what you also have to keep in mind is that I am a wedding and portrait photographer. My bag consists of mostly long lenses. I want as much compression as I can get away with. My dream lens is the canon 200mm f2L ( http://amzn.to/2rqo843 ) ... I just dont have 5 racks laying around :rofl:

I prefer primes but zooms are much more available and within my price range lol

I really hate that I'm rebuilding my setup. Looking at prices of stuff I've had and lost is frustrating. Looking back at wifi SD Cards and OTG tethering capable phones/tablets. Family pics this weekend, wish me luck

Lots of expensive high end zooms exist bruh :nerd:

Zooms all day every day for me. The only time I would want a prime over a zoom is if I'm in a controlled shooting and I can move things around to get it right. For me, I don't do much of this kind of shooting, so I prefer zooms.

Anyone in here recommend the Canon 35mm 1.4 L ii lens? Going to test it out in the next following weeks. Trying to find an every day lens for photo shoots
I copped the first version instead and am very happy with it. Again, whatever suits your needs and style. If you don't want to spend as much the first is going for ~$950 and I've had no issues with it.

Hello everyone.

I'm new to photography, and thinking of purchasing the Sony a6000 in the next few days. Any suggestions on a great entry level lens? One that can be universal to take shots downtown Seattle, wildlife and maybe beach shots of my son in Hawaii (in Sept). if I get into it a bit more i'll add on in the future.

Thanks everyone.
definitely get the 35mm 1.8 OS lens
Again, what you're shooting and style are most important. IMO, if you're shooting your kid, I'm assuming your kid will be all over the place and so a zoom lens might be more efficient. Also, since this is new to you, don't limit yourself to what you can shoot. If you do enjoy the hobby and do look to get into it more, then the 35mm might be the right choice for you - but the 16-50 that comes with the camera is perfect for an every day use and capturing memories. That's my take.

Lots of expensive high end zooms exist bruh
nerd.gif
Oh, I've seen em lol

Can anyone recommend some resources for beginners? In terms of shooting and editing. I'm pretty good with PS/LR I just never know what to look for in terms of editing a photo. I also know photography is so much more than just point and shoot. Looking into casually shooting but still want my stuff to turn out nice. Gonna do my best to read through the last 100 pages or so but that could take a while, thanks.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend some resources for beginners? In terms of shooting and editing. I'm pretty good with PS/LR I just never know what to look for in terms of editing a photo. I also know photography is so much more than just point and shoot. Looking into casually shooting but still want my stuff to turn out nice. Gonna do my best to read through the last 100 pages or so but that could take a while, thanks.

YouTube. Can't stress this enough. Everything's I've learned has been through YouTube and trial and error. Any question you got just type it and it'll come up. And this thread, tons of info and helpful guys in here.

YouTube. Can't stress this enough. Everything's I've learned has been through YouTube and trial and error. Any question you got just type it and it'll come up. And this thread, tons of info and helpful guys in here.

Thanks, figured that'd be my best bet. Gonna have to find some good channels then and really dive deep into this thread.

YouTube and going out & messing stuff up :lol: :rofl:

Run into issues and search online how to overcome them.

Whatever you do, just keep on shooting. Thats really the most important part.

Anyone in here recommend the Canon 35mm 1.4 L ii lens? Going to test it out in the next following weeks. Trying to find an every day lens for photo shoots

I copped the first version instead and am very happy with it. Again, whatever suits your needs and style. If you don't want to spend as much the first is going for ~$950 and I've had no issues with it.

I've heard a few photographers actually say the prefer the contrast and rendition of the 35L I over the II. :pimp:

Speaking of messing stuff up, played around with an old Styrofoam cup and my on camera flash and bouncing it off the ceiling gave me some great playing around shots. Really feel motivated to shooting indoors now, just gotta find subject

New ish in today...

I already have a 600 ex-rt and im adding this to have a back light during first dances so I dont need hardly any power.

I also have the yonguo joint coming in that is a 600 ex-rt clone.

I have 3 weddings in june... pray for my sanity :rofl:

so i was recently contacted through my IG about using some of my city shots for a realty company's website. she told me to meet her today to talk about it. any advice to a novice dipping his feet into his first business with photography? like pricing, legal aspect, etc. Any help would be appreciated it.

so i was recently contacted through my IG about using some of my city shots for a realty company's website. she told me to meet her today to talk about it. any advice to a novice dipping his feet into his first business with photography? like pricing, legal aspect, etc. Any help would be appreciated it.
Thats awesome good luck! by the way what do you shoot with?

Check this guy out for solid lightroom tutorials
laugh.gif
 https://www.youtube.com/user/DJYoung/featured

As for taking pictures, you can spend all day reading about techniques, but it won't do you any good unless you get out and shoot. It's all trial and error. 

Back
Top Bottom