The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Alright Andretti. I'll be joining you in the Mamiya RB67 gang. I am about to get one today for $425 with a 90mm and a 180mm lens. Some guy locally put it on Craigslist and it is under the market price from what I see on Ebay anyways. Just need to test it to see if there are any light leaks since he said the camera hasn't been shot with in a long time. I think this is the last film camera I buy for a while.
Welcome to the mamiya family!!
Thats a steal, the body alone i spent almost 400 on.
Go in a dark room and put a flash light to the bellows fully extended out for any holes. Light leaks most likey come from the film backs themselves. If the need to be fixed it would just be cheaper to get another one from ebay or someone

Welcome to the mamiya family!!
Thats a steal, the body alone i spent almost 400 on.
Go in a dark room and put a flash light to the bellows fully extended out for any holes. Light leaks most likey come from the film backs themselves. If the need to be fixed it would just be cheaper to get another one from ebay or someone
Everything seems to be in working order from what I can see. Bellows seem pretty new to me, no haze in the lens, everything is firing fine and working. Just need to shoot a roll of film to really see.

No surprise though but the camera in hand is god damn heavy and I am sort of used to a heavy setup with shooting mostly with a Canon 5D and 70-200mm lens but this thing takes the cake. But the seller is pretty much who you want to buy a film camera from. He had no idea film is back in style and even said he got contacted by 10 people from only 12 hours of listing on Craiglist. He even dropped the price from $425 to $400 for everything and I want to say its cause we spoke camera talk for about 15 mins. Just an old man that essentially met another camera dork.

Everything seems to be in working order from what I can see. Bellows seem pretty new to me, no haze in the lens, everything is firing fine and working. Just need to shoot a roll of film to really see.

No surprise though but the camera in hand is god damn heavy and I am sort of used to a heavy setup with shooting mostly with a Canon 5D and 70-200mm lens but this thing takes the cake. But the seller is pretty much who you want to buy a film camera from. He had no idea film is back in style and even said he got contacted by 10 people from only 12 hours of listing on Craiglist. He even dropped the price from $425 to $400 for everything and I want to say its cause we spoke camera talk for about 15 mins. Just an old man that essentially met another camera dork.
Get this pistol grip here for the weight, i dont use it all the time but im glad i have it . It’s universal for mamiya cameras
862F943B-79CA-4239-89AF-00B35F128427.jpeg

So finally inspected the RB67 and it seems the only thing I can find is the seals are all messed up and I need to replace it. I saw a ton of kits online but most are sold in Japan so going to just try and get a foam adhesive and just do it all myself. I was so ready to shoot with this thing this weekend too but might as well fix this and not mess up a roll of film.

Andretti......what is your go to film for the RB67? I know it kind of depends on what you are shooting but since this camera only has a max shutter of 400, I wonder if you sort of have to shoot with 400 speed film if you are shooting handheld.

So finally inspected the RB67 and it seems the only thing I can find is the seals are all messed up and I need to replace it. I saw a ton of kits online but most are sold in Japan so going to just try and get a foam adhesive and just do it all myself. I was so ready to shoot with this thing this weekend too but might as well fix this and not mess up a roll of film.

Andretti......what is your go to film for the RB67? I know it kind of depends on what you are shooting but since this camera only has a max shutter of 400, I wonder if you sort of have to shoot with 400 speed film if you are shooting handheld.
So since i had this camera or the c330 my favorite films so far have been fuji 400h, works well in low light and kodak ektachrome 100 for daytime too

Cinestill50d is a nice one Too

You are supposed to use Isopropyl alcohol apparently. It doesn’t always get all the gunk gone but if you plant on placing a new light seal over it, it won’t matter.

You are supposed to use Isopropyl alcohol apparently. It doesn’t always get all the gunk gone but if you plant on placing a new light seal over it, it won’t matter.
Thanks! A camera I was gifted seems to have worn light seals. I think it is peeling or wearing off since I see black specks.

Also ended up picking up a Fujifilm X-E3. I think it should suffice to take pictures of the baby coming and also snap some vids too. Really like the feel of the camera so far. Had to get a thumb grip to better handle it but love it so far. Still looking into a nice 35mm film camera.

Thanks for all the tips in here. Enjoying taking pictures so far and practicing for the little one that seems like he can come any day now.

Meanwhile some pics I snapped of my new bike :evil:

DSCF2228.JPG
DSCF2229.JPG
DSCF2231.JPG
DSCF2234.JPG
DSCF2236.JPG

InCollage_20220724_071321509.png

Part of a recent shoot.
Glad to have a model that allows me to explore my visions.
Shot at:
50mm
1/8000
F1.8
Iso 50
600watt strobe at 1/1, hss and a 10in beauty dish
At what time of day was this?

What was you trying to achieve?

At what time of day was this?

What was you trying to achieve?

keko jones keko jones
Around 5pm on the east.coast I wanted to shoot earlier but the sand was too hot to bare.
That pic wasnt necessary of my visions.

But these are

InCollage_20220725_144025999.png

InCollage_20220725_205411371~2.png

My "visions" have more to do with the color grading, poses, wardrobe and scenery.

^^^I dig the execution. Those shots are a lot of prep to even get shots off. I see why people shoot natural light for say weddings just cause it's so much easier to handle.

Do you follow Jay Lenard? He's an NTer (I think) that is seriously one of the best out there. His photos look great regardless but is editing of the models skin to me is what makes the photos that much better.

C0lby was another NTer I think but has since stop posting on his IG.

Also your balance of light is (imo) is not balanced. Like the 2nd photo, the knee lit but her face and lower body is not as much. Perhaps using two strobes can help or even a reflector to bounce light? Perhaps a larger modifier for an overall larger flash? Regardless though.....props on doing the shot. That stuff is a real challenge.

Last edited:
Kind of makes sense. The funny thing about DLSRs is the value as of right now is really low but watch people start thinking those are "retro" and start buying them up causing a price jump. I always wanted a Canon 15mm f/2.8 fisheye but it was always around $400-500. Fast forward now, I got a guy to sell one almost brand new for $225.

I so wanted a mirrorless for the longest time but I find my 5D is still doing the job. I even printed a 30-40" print from that camera and it honestly didn't look that bad. I am sure the clarity on a bigger file could be significant but when you frame it up, a lot won't know the difference between the two. I also wonder if camera sales are going to suffer cause mirrorless cameras are at the point where they are all good now. Say if you got a Sony A73, do you really need the A74? I think you can hold on to a camera a lot longer now.

This video is funny cause these point and shoots is what I started out with essentially. I guess if it goes in order, these things should make a comeback before DSLRs. And technically DSLRs haven't left yet so we'll see where things go in the next 5-10 years.

So here are the first scans of the RB67. Not the best photos but I was out with my kid at some fruit farm at high noon. From the get go, these photos are damn near digital quality as far as the clarity and the noise from the Portra 160 film. I actually think it's too close to the point where a digital camera could have done the trick. Also think I need to shoot with better light to get more character out of the film. The Portra didn't really do much to the open sun.

Also the light meter app was pretty damn solid. I did a quick read on it and shot it as fast as I can and figured I could be over or under on my exposure since the lens has odd f-stops but most if not all came out fine.

000023780002.jpg

000023780004.jpg

000023780007.jpg

And another shot from the other night using my Moment's Cinebloom filter on a digital camera. I actually stacked this photo with 2 other photos getting difference exposures and merged them all into one.

Cinebloom+SF+2.jpg

Last edited:
So here are the first scans of the RB67. Not the best photos but I was out with my kid at some fruit farm at high noon. From the get go, these photos are damn near digital quality as far as the clarity and the noise from the Portra 160 film. I actually think it's too close to the point where a digital camera could have done the trick. Also think I need to shoot with better light to get more character out of the film. The Portra didn't really do much to the open sun.

Also the light meter app was pretty damn solid. I did a quick read on it and shot it as fast as I can and figured I could be over or under on my exposure since the lens has odd f-stops but most if not all came out fine.

000023780002.jpg

000023780004.jpg

000023780007.jpg

And another shot from the other night using my Moment's Cinebloom filter on a digital camera. I actually stacked this photo with 2 other photos getting difference exposures and merged them all into one.

Cinebloom+SF+2.jpg
That 127 is a nice one, thinking of getting it myself . You sent your stuff off to a lab?

That 127 is a nice one, thinking of getting it myself . You sent your stuff off to a lab?
Sent it to a local lab here in Oakland CA. I have a chain film store that is near me but they don't develop 6x7 film so had to go a little farther to get it done.

Do you suggest any labs that are worth sending to for the quality and price? I sent another set to get developed and scanned and it was $18.74 with tax for simple jpg files. The only thing that sucks is I am getting 10 photos back as apposed to 35mm where I get 24 or 36 photos.

Sent it to a local lab here in Oakland CA. I have a chain film store that is near me but they don't develop 6x7 film so had to go a little farther to get it done.

Do you suggest any labs that are worth sending to for the quality and price? I sent another set to get developed and scanned and it was $18.74 with tax for simple jpg files. The only thing that sucks is I am getting 10 photos back as apposed to 35mm where I get 24 or 36 photos.
Just asked a friend thats out in cali

Legacyphoto lab

Thedarkroom ,i hear that store come up often so they must be good

Underdog film lab

Mikes camera

Light source

Here’s some more here

If everything goes right tomorrow ill have a film scanner and ill be developing my own stuff maybe a month from now

Just asked a friend thats out in cali

Legacyphoto lab

Thedarkroom ,i hear that store come up often so they must be good

Underdog film lab

Mikes camera

Light source

Here’s some more here

If everything goes right tomorrow ill have a film scanner and ill be developing my own stuff maybe a month from now
I used Underdog for my last scans. For local stuff for me, I used Mikes Camera which has been fine for the most part but wish I can just give my money to more mom and pop shops and not chain stores.

I might give Darkroom a try for whatever reason. At least the shipping is free but then I need a printer and who the heck has those nowadays.

Last Saturday i was lucky enough to get a scanner for free and have been going back and rescanning my negatives i thought could have been better. Still messing around with how to work it and the program that runs it but so far so good. Just wish i could use it on my new mac but they dont have a usb port smh
E7E2681F-8393-4456-89A5-3409B7D3A52F.jpeg
2C087191-1635-4F76-A151-EC28F4B46514.jpeg
C8058684-AD15-48A1-8B9A-D46B5570E328.jpeg

Attachments

• 43D9BD39-671A-4DBB-B9A6-F9087EC12AB3.jpeg
    43D9BD39-671A-4DBB-B9A6-F9087EC12AB3.jpeg
    314.9 KB · Views: 78
Last Saturday i was lucky enough to get a scanner for free and have been going back and rescanning my negatives i thought could have been better. Still messing around with how to work it and the program that runs it but so far so good. Just wish i could use it on my new mac but they dont have a usb port smh
E7E2681F-8393-4456-89A5-3409B7D3A52F.jpeg
2C087191-1635-4F76-A151-EC28F4B46514.jpeg
C8058684-AD15-48A1-8B9A-D46B5570E328.jpeg
I was thinking of getting one. How much knowledge and skill is required once you get them digitized, is required?

Back
Top Bottom