The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by spacerace

So I finally have enough money for the D90. However, I was wondering if the D5100 would be the better choice because of the improved image quality. I will most likely not use video mode for either camera. At a lost, can anyone help me out?

Hmmm...that is a really good questions. Sometimes I forget Nikon even came out with this D5100 camera. Is it like a high end entry level camera, like the Canon T3i? It will definitely save you a couple of bucks to get the D5100 and there is even a $50 off rebate as well, which makes it at about $750 + tax as apposed to the D90 still be under a grand. Well, as long as the D5100 is not like the D3000 cause I tried that camera and that thing is just way too slow, even with a fast lens on it. I saw go with the D5100 and save the rest of the money for a 35mm or 50mm prime lens.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

So I finally have enough money for the D90. However, I was wondering if the D5100 would be the better choice because of the improved image quality. I will most likely not use video mode for either camera. At a lost, can anyone help me out?

Hmmm...that is a really good questions. Sometimes I forget Nikon even came out with this D5100 camera. Is it like a high end entry level camera, like the Canon T3i? It will definitely save you a couple of bucks to get the D5100 and there is even a $50 off rebate as well, which makes it at about $750 + tax as apposed to the D90 still be under a grand. Well, as long as the D5100 is not like the D3000 cause I tried that camera and that thing is just way too slow, even with a fast lens on it. I saw go with the D5100 and save the rest of the money for a 35mm or 50mm prime lens.
thanks for the response. the main reason why i think i might go with the 5100 over the d90 is that the d5100 is a 16.2MP camera versus the 12.3MP d90

thanks for the response. the main reason why i think i might go with the 5100 over the d90 is that the d5100 is a 16.2MP camera versus the 12.3MP d90

The megapixal thing doesn't necessarilly mean you will get clear photos. It's all on your lenses. Megapixels matter only if you are printing things on a 8 x10 paper or higher. You can see the clarity dissapear as you print bigger and bigger.

^Like Fong said, that difference in megapixels isn't going to be noticeable unless you are printing big. I shoot with a canon 40d which is 10mp and I've printed 20x30 without a problem.

The D5100 does not have an internal focus motor. This is going to seriously limit the lenses that you will be able to use effectively with the camera.

IMHO this is way more important than MP.

^^^I never understood why Nikon does that with their bodies. I don't think Canon has issues with on their Rebels. Does it cost a lot of money to add an internal focus motor?

On a related note, there are rumors of a D700 and D3S replacement by the end of this month. I hope that D700 is at least up to par with the Mark 2 or better. Even if it is better, the Mark 3 release is right around the corner.

Looking forward to the specs of the D4, or whatever the D3 replacement is gonna be called
I sure every photographer in LA took this photo. This one is mine.

Decided to go with the D90. Should arrive tomorrow. Really excited to play with it 
happy.gif

So... I'm at a dilemma. I used to like seeing my pictures with my watermark on it, but lately I've come to the realization that sometimes a watermark takes away from the image (imo.) That being said though, I feel like if I don't tag my images someone could claim them as theirs, etc. I know there are many of you with amazing photos that don't tag them. What are your opinions? 

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

So... I'm at a dilemma. I used to like seeing my pictures with my watermark on it, but lately I've come to the realization that sometimes a watermark takes away from the image (imo.) That being said though, I feel like if I don't tag my images someone could claim them as theirs, etc. I know there are many of you with amazing photos that don't tag them. What are your opinions? 
i say go with a inconspicuous one - maybe just your brand/name in small font? i personally have had pictures with a watermark absent used without my permission; so i would not recommend abandoning watermarks altogether, even though they almost always take away from the actual photograph.

make your watermarks transparent. Like this 
2756204272_18b5e56bc5.jpg

Benji and Joel Madden of Good Charlotte. Pasadena, 2008

thinking about getting a diffuser for my flash, the gary fong collapsible lightsphere to be specific.
came in here to ask if you guys think its worth it? and if diffusers really help. thanks in advance..

^ Something like that ruins the picture imo. It's everything but transparent. 
laugh.gif

Yeah, I was new to digital photography that time and I wanted to make my watermarks the way that WireImage did theirs by placing their logo on the celebrities's face. I stopped doing it that way afterwards.

Originally Posted by bl1nk

thinking about getting a diffuser for my flash, the gary fong collapsible lightsphere to be specific.
came in here to ask if you guys think its worth it? and if diffusers really help. thanks in advance..

diffusers are worth it, mostly for photoshoots. Makes your image looks like it was taken from natural light indoors and makes the lighting of your subject more softer and professional looking.  

I honestly hate watermarks on photos. I never tag my photos but I really don't see what the worse that can happen if someone takes it. It's not like they can print it and sell it. And a watermark is only as good as the logo. It should scream to the viewer but people should recognize it right away and most important, it has to look good. These are some photos from Transworld and I don't think their watermark kills the photo:

tws_wedwallpaper_0711_08950.jpg

tws_wedwallpaper_0411_02950.jpg

tws-wedwallpaper-0311-01950.jpg

tws-wedwallpaper-0311-11950.jpg

Also even The Hundreds watermark isn't that bad and same with Rebel8. The worst is when people put "Photo By Fongstarrphotography 2011" or something like that imo.

Originally Posted by ChaosTheory

Originally Posted by burstmode7d

Playing with the Tokina 11-16:

Argggh, I want that lens! 

Nice pics, btw

Thanks. I posted two days ago that B&H was selling them again. The price jumped up though, up from $600 to $659. I think it was there for a day before it sold out. But they do have it on amazon.

Back
Top Bottom