The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Need advice of which lens to buy next. I bought a canon 50mm 1.8, because everyone said to do so. It's a great lens, but very difficult to shoot with indoors for me. I use a Canon t3i, and I guess that may be why, because of the crop sensor? Anyways, so now I'm looking into three lenses. The canon 35mm f2, sigma 30mm f1.4, and canon 28mm f1.8

6937006218_2998b949e1_b.jpg

When you have just a disposable camera and no power on editing or choosing any of your photos, you just submit the camera to develop to the kind guys of ONE GIANT ARM this is what happens

http://onegiantarm.com/20...y-disposable-submission/

Please take a spare minute and enjoy, support the website and the Disposable? project /

Next to come a printed zine and an exhibition in the UK

thanks

Originally Posted by mikejs210

Originally Posted by shoefreak77

I have the 24-70 f2.8 L and it is considered one of the better L lenses that canon makes. I like it and think it has perfect balance, only downside is that it is heavy!
I have a brand new 24-105 f4 L that came with my 5DMIII that i am on the fence about even taking out of the box vs. selling....
While agonizing over whether to keep or sell, i have done some research and most people have given the 24-105 good reviews as a "walk around lens."
Primes are great, but serve a specific purposes / shooters. I think it depends on the type of shooter you are...do you want to stand in one spot and get most of your shots, do you want to move around alot (required for primes) to get the best shot....indoor / outdoor (how much light will you typically be working with)
hope this helps
sf77
On the 24-70, do you have any problems with no IS?

i havent had any issues with it.  issues that i have seen i attributed to my lack of skill....im sure that there is some value in IS, but the 24-70 is a super popular lens that has been a top seller, so i doubt it has caused people to avoid purchasing.
-sf77

Originally Posted by Jordan Novice

Need advice of which lens to buy next. I bought a canon 50mm 1.8, because everyone said to do so. It's a great lens, but very difficult to shoot with indoors for me. I use a Canon t3i, and I guess that may be why, because of the crop sensor? Anyways, so now I'm looking into three lenses. The canon 35mm f2, sigma 30mm f1.4, and canon 28mm f1.8

The 50mm is a good cheap lens but just an odd length to shoot with. Since you shoot with a crop, I believe the length is equivalent to shooting with a 85mm. I remember just having that lens and I would be with my friends and they would always ask to take pics of them at bars and I would always say I can't cause I would have to stand super far to get everyone in frame.

I have a Nikon and use a 35mm and that is equivalent to using a 50mm on a full frame. It's a lot better in range is is wider as well. All the ones mentioned should be good but just look up the one that takes better quality photos.

I use the Sigma 30mm on my 60D. Its a great lens for crop bodies. The only downfall is that you wont be able to use it on a full frame camera if you ever decide to go full frame

Originally Posted by whokid23

I use the Sigma 30mm on my 60D. Its a great lens for crop bodies. The only downfall is that you wont be able to use it on a full frame camera if you ever decide to go full frame

I really don't plan to go full frame,don't think I'll ever purchase a 5D.

So why did you choose the sigma?

Originally Posted by odog24

thinking of picking up a d5100 soon.

anyone have it or have any opinions?

the reason im choosing it because of its small form factor and the price
I recently picked up a D5100. I love it. It is my first DSLR so I am taking my time trying to learn the camera inside and out. I originally was going to buy the D3100 but the swivel screen lured me in. I bought mine as a kit, and have quickly realized that the 18-55mm lens is not what I need for the shots that I want to take, so I purchased the 35mm f/1.8. I should have it tomorrow. On the D5100, some of the external controls are in different locations than some other cameras from what I have seen. Not a big deal. You learn your equipment and you will be more than fine.

Originally Posted by whokid23

I really don't plan to go full frame,don't think I'll ever purchase a 5D.

So why did you choose the sigma?
ill let him answer, but im guessing because the 30mm on the 60d is around the equivalent of a 50mm on a full frame

Originally Posted by khankussionz

I recently picked up a D5100. I love it. It is my first DSLR so I am taking my time trying to learn the camera inside and out. I originally was going to buy the D3100 but the swivel screen lured me in. I bought mine as a kit, and have quickly realized that the 18-55mm lens is not what I need for the shots that I want to take, so I purchased the 35mm f/1.8. I should have it tomorrow. On the D5100, some of the external controls are in different locations than some other cameras from what I have seen. Not a big deal. You learn your equipment and you will be more than fine.
thanks for the response. im not sure if i should buy the kit or buy the body seperate and the lens seperate
what kind of shots are you looking to take?

thanks for the response. im not sure if i should buy the kit or buy the body seperate and the lens seperate
what kind of shots are you looking to take?
I think the kit is still a good option. I ordered the 35mm as a walk around... I really want a 55-200mm because I know that I will be taking a good amount of shots from a distance and would like the zoom it enables me to get. Debated on that and the 55-300mm but I'm not sure, maybe I will rent them both and make my decision from that. In my opinion the kit was the way to go, because I didn't want to think about anything besides paying for it and shooting right away while I learned photography and my camera. I honestly want to shoot candidly as well as some studio shooting. All of these guys inspire me to learn and practice as much as I can. Quikster is a beast, and I have so much respect for KSteezy too. I have followed their WDYWT shots because there's something about their photography styles that I would like to see mine develop too with my own spin on it. There are others that amaze me with their shots too. Shotouts to everybody.

Some of you have probably caught wind of the sale already, but for those that haven't, Canon has a 20% off code (and stackable free shipping) for refurb lenses and bodies on their site.

The sale has run like 3 times over the past couple months, so a lot of their inventory is gone unfortunately but there's still some stuff.

Check slickdeals for the thread, I can't hyperlink for some reason.

Got a Speedlite 430 ex II refurb for $205 shipped.

I think the kit is still a good option. I ordered the 35mm as a walk around... I really want a 55-200mm because I know that I will be taking a good amount of shots from a distance and would like the zoom it enables me to get. Debated on that and the 55-300mm but I'm not sure, maybe I will rent them both and make my decision from that. In my opinion the kit was the way to go, because I didn't want to think about anything besides paying for it and shooting right away while I learned photography and my camera. I honestly want to shoot candidly as well as some studio shooting. All of these guys inspire me to learn and practice as much as I can. Quikster is a beast, and I have so much respect for KSteezy too. I have followed their WDYWT shots because there's something about their photography styles that I would like to see mine develop too with my own spin on it. There are others that amaze me with their shots too. Shotouts to everybody.

how much did you pay for yours?
i found this on nikons site http://shop.nikonusa.com/...S/pd/productID.242455300

just got a 60D for a hell of a deal on craigslist, returning my T3i tomorrow

60D
18-200mm kit lens
Canon Digital Gadget Bag
8 gb class 10 SD card

all of it brand new in box for $1000

how much did you pay for yours?
i found this on nikons site http://shop.nikonusa.com/...S/pd/productID.242455300
I bought it at Best Buy in February. Spent about $850 total with tax and two filters. That's a good price right there. It's definitely worth it, and I don't think you would regret it. As others have said before; Nikon lenses get pricey but you will be fine if you know what you want and bargain hunt. Swivel screen is a great feature. It made the decision for me because at the time my lady had plans of starting her own youtube channel and blog. Video quality is ridiculous on this also.

Originally Posted by bjamez20

just got a 60D for a hell of a deal on craigslist, returning my T3i tomorrow

60D
18-200mm kit lens
Canon Digital Gadget Bag
8 gb class 10 SD card

all of it brand new in box for $1000
Nice. I got that kit from Costco. I think it was $1300 + tax?
I bought a civic recently:

7079189403_1d85f1dab5_b.jpg

FlipnKraut...don't tell me that was shot with a 35m 1.8? I can never get bokeh like that. I honestly hate that lens cause I can't seem to shoot with it correctly.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

FlipnKraut...don't tell me that was shot with a 35m 1.8? I can never get bokeh like that. I honestly hate that lens cause I can't seem to shoot with it correctly.

That was shot with my 50mm 1.8 (the older one). But my 35 doesn't do too bad with the bokeh either. I usually get pretty good bokeh with the 35 when I'm between 6-10ft from my subject.

Back
Top Bottom