The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

If we got any photographers from Atlanta in here go out and snap some pics! The sky is literally purple and pink, just saw a bunch of pictures on instagram and it looks insane! I've never seen anything like it before

Some pics from instagram

If we got any photographers from Atlanta in here go out and snap some pics! The sky is literally purple and pink, just saw a bunch of pictures on instagram and it looks insane! I've never seen anything like it before

Some pics from instagram

That's beautiful.

random question but why're dudes taping up their cameras and gear covering the logos?

is it like a hipster thing or pro thing to do?

Some people do it for aesthetics. Some do it to be less suspicious to thieves.

It really doesnt have any advantages though

Some people do it for aesthetics. Some do it to be less suspicious to thieves.

It really doesnt have any advantages though

Usually you would do it to just make your camera less noticeable. My buddy did it when he went to Mexico. I mean if someone wants to rob you, they will but there might be those robbers that only want to get top notch equipment. Sometimes having that strap that says Canon 5D Mark 3 is not a total good look.

random question but why're dudes taping up their cameras and gear covering the logos?

I do it. I cover the brand and model on my camera. It's less noticeable and I would consider it a slight theft deterrent. Also, there's no contrast or brand markings to catch the eye when shooting say street photography.

Is this for bags or for the camera strap? I don't see how covering the strap is a deterrent if you still see the camera body hanging from it.

^^^Some people could mistake it for a film camera. Of course you'd have to not look at your screen but it's a little thing that could go a long way. I think you general thief can be pretty dumb though and the more flashy the camera looks, the more expensive they'll think it is. Personally I'd never do it myself cause I carry a bag with my majority of the time. If I was in a bad area, I'd only bring out my camera when I needed to shoot something.

Thanks brotha. Will check out and most likely cop. I don't plan on doing off camera flash just yet. Still need to learn the basic fundamentals on speed lights.

It;s worth the initial investment to try it though. I am no flash master myself but shooting the flash straight forward just doesn't look as good as if you shoot from the side. If course this all depends on what you are doing but it creates unique looks nonetheless.

091220_Flash_Off_On_5D_8609_8612_w71.jpg

I use these. They are only $34 and you only really need one of the them but you could use the other as a receiver if you have another flash lying around and if you want to fire two flashes at a time. The only other thing that you would need though if you wanted to do off camera flash is another tripod. I got one that goes up to 12 feet for a higher flash.

71%2B7j5uySLL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B00DCY29G4

Guys any thoughts on the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8? I'm planning to purchase one. I am choosing between that and the Nikon 50mm 1.4d, which would be the better purchase? (Planning to use as a walk around lens)

Thanks in advance!

Guys any thoughts on the Sigma 17-50mm 2.8? I'm planning to purchase one. I am choosing between that and the Nikon 50mm 1.4d, which would be the better purchase? (Planning to use as a walk around lens)

Thanks in advance!

If you go with the 50mm. Go with the 50mm f/1.8G

first few test shots from the d5300

as with others, open to feedback. hopin to be able to get out and shoot more soon.

I do it. I cover the brand and model on my camera. It's less noticeable and I would consider it a slight theft deterrent. Also, there's no contrast or brand markings to catch the eye when shooting say street photography.

i don't know, sounds suspect to me...the theft thing doesn't makes sense what thief would be that discriminating ("i only steal leicas!")? and while i don't doubt the human eye's ability to react to bits of contrast, again this really doesn't make sense to me because street photography is so fast moving that brand marking on a camera would seem innocuous in such settings; besides the motion of bringing your camera up would be an even more telling action than markings on a camera... my theory is some photographer some time ago, didn't want other photographers to know what camera he/she was shooting with or some nature/wildlife photographer thought up for not standing out in nature, either way i think other photographers have picked it up & its just a thing that people do in the sub-culture of photography that people probably don't even question the logic of anymore...

Thanks in advance!

i think the better purchase depends on what your primary use will be, generally zoom lenses are more versatile and if you're primarily shooting in the day f2.8 will be plenty fast enough over a pretty good zoom range but if you will be taking a lot of pics in lowlight and/or at night, or shooting wide open the f1.4 may be better for that? i really think kit lenses are under appreciated, they give you a chance to figure out which focal lengths you like shooting with:

some long exposures:

fisheye lenses are awesome by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

state house by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

what's white balance??? by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

Last edited:
thanks guys yeah that actually makes sense. making your camera less noticeable is an attractive idea to me.

i was only asking because ive been seeing it lately

I used to have that lens. It is an excellent kit lens replacement, the sigma 17-50

Last edited:
Any recommendations for bags?

Currently leaning towards the ONA Union Street, simply because it seems versatile and could use it for work (I lug my MBP to work daily).

Back
Top Bottom