The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Found a deal for 1900 with 400 MIR for the 6D, but does anyone know if Canon will be coming out with another full frame any time soon?

I don't see any news for one, but I don't follow up on news often.

Great Photo! How do you all get that long wide look in your photos?
I'm no photography buff so I could be completely wrong. Someone please correct me if need be.

My guess is an ultra wide-angle lens. I believe convention dictates that a lens with a focal length equal to the diagonal of the sensor size is considered "normal". Then any focal length below normal is considered " wide-angle". Generally I think the normal focal lengths are roughly 50mm and 35mm for full-frame and crop sensors, respectively. So anything below those would be considered a wide-angle lens. So an ultra wide-angle would be any focal length shorter than the shorter aspect of your sensor size. For instance my D3200 has a sensor size of 23.2mm x 15.4mm. So an ultra wide-angle lens would be any lens with a focal length less than 15.4mm.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone own the Fujifilm X-t1 or any other mirror-less camera? I have seen a few image samples and I wanted something small to carry and shoot with so I can give my 5DM2 a break.

I have an X-E1 and I think someone else in here has an X-T1. Awesome little cameras and Fuji makes great lenses too. They aren't the smallest mirrorless cameras but the X-Trans sensors produce great images. If you go Fuji, wait for one of their deals - a couple times a year they knock $100-200 off all the bodies and $100-250 off all the lenses.

I was looking at that system to replace my d7000. Probably the x-t1 or x-e2. Didn't look like enough support of nikon adapters for full autofocus use. Could have missed looking into something. I feel like it would be easy if you're coming from canon to use your lenses

thanks, it's from an 8mm ultra wide angle fisheye lens; wide angle lenses get more in the frame so technically you can be closer to your subject...

My friend started a project after being inspired by Humans of New York, it's called People Project SF.

If you've never heard of it, take a peep. It's a photo followed by a question...Interesting concept.

https://www.facebook.com/peopleprojectSF

#unpopularopinion there are quite a few clones of the h of ny thing (which I guess is street portraits with a story attached) conceptually...he had an idea & followed through on it with excellent execution and seeming sincerity, i do wonder how people would react if the stories attached were just made up? would the images be more or less interesting? not that there is anything wrong with being inspired by someone/something (sig check) though you'd hope that the inspiration would lead to developing a different idea...

I'm no photography buff so I could be completely wrong. Someone please correct me if need be.

My guess is an ultra wide-angle lens. I believe convention dictates that a lens with a focal length equal to the diagonal of the sensor size is considered "normal". Then any focal length below normal is considered " wide-angle". Generally I think the normal focal lengths are roughly 50mm and 35mm for full-frame and crop sensors, respectively. So anything below those would be considered a wide-angle lens. So an ultra wide-angle would be any focal length shorter than the shorter aspect of your sensor size. For instance my D3200 has a sensor size of 23.2mm x 15.4mm. So an ultra wide-angle lens would be any lens with a focal length less than 15.4mm.

Hope this helps.

didn't know the specifics of it...very cool, I thought pretty much any lens wider than 24 was wide, it seems when you start going less than that it becomes harder to control distortion...

Does anyone own the Fujifilm X-t1 or any other mirror-less camera? I have seen a few image samples and I wanted something small to carry and shoot with so I can give my 5DM2 a break.

a few here are rocking mirrorless and i've had a few, all sony ( nex-f3, nex-6, a7r)...but Fuji, olympus, Panasonic, & ricoh are all pretty good and there seem to be a good amount of lenses for the stuff with micro 4/3rd sensors...

I miss shooting fisheye sometimes. I still need to get that 15mm f/2.8.

Speaking of ultra wide angle, I believe the widest lens that isn't a fisheye for a full frame now is the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6. Here's a review on it comparing it to other wide angle lenses in the market:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-12-24mm-f-4.5-5.6-DG-II-HSM-Lens.aspx

Perspective-Example.jpg

13th Witness is with them. Good to see this going on. SF one was pretty successful even though I can't really shoot in groups like that. It's like there own version of FlaskMob.

And speaking of Flask Mob, the Hundreds did an article on them: http://thehundreds.com/flask-mob/

#unpopularopinion there are quite a few clones of the h of ny thing (which I guess is street portraits with a story attached) conceptually...he had an idea & followed through on it with excellent execution and seeming sincerity, i do wonder how people would react if the stories attached were just made up? would the images be more or less interesting? not that there is anything wrong with being inspired by someone/something (sig check) though you'd hope that the inspiration would lead to developing a different idea...
Interesting that you bring that up. I bought my sister the Humans of NY book off of Amazon a couple months back and she said she was really disappointed. She said that a lot of the pics had really skimpy stories or no stories at all. I didn't even look at it but yeah, her comments didn't really make me wanna check it out. 

Last edited:
213f6854_IMG_5706.jpeg

took this pic of my wife and i. thats me. using t3i crop sensor and making the most i can and using 70-300mm at 70mm f4 (fastest)

and doing some testing in lightroom. still new at it, dont have a lot of time though for the obvious reasons coming soon..

need to look for a maternity photographer in the bay though.. @arsenalGUNNER1 maybe you hook me up for the obvious reasons on that swoosh.. :tongue:

picked up a 50mm f1.8. was on sale direct from canon for $70 SHIPPED thhe other day. rather have a wider lens esp with crop factor, but i guess ill make do

13th Witness is with them. Good to see this going on. SF one was pretty successful even though I can't really shoot in groups like that. It's like there own version of FlaskMob.

And speaking of Flask Mob, the Hundreds did an article on them: http://thehundreds.com/flask-mob/

i rolled with the FlaskMob for the first time last week. An abundance of tomfoolery that amounts to great street shots :lol:

need to go again :smokin

Last edited:
Need alittle help yall, trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, if its me or the camera. Came back home to the city and tried to get some shots at night and they didn't turn out too good

Elkin - It's pretty crazy lightning and thunder is out here in NYC. 

First day in New York and visiting the East Coast for the first time. Coming from SF Bay Area, New York is pretty fast pace and impatient. I never heard the horn used so many times from automobiles, it's wild. Sooooo much to see and do, so little time. Don't worry, I'll have my Day Two recap soon. I did a lot more. On another note, Shake Shack's shakes & the pizza out here are 
pimp.gif

As always, a lot more on the blog. 

IG - @dunksrnice
http://www.dunksrnice.net/2014/07/new-york-day-001.html

Need alittle help yall, trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, if its me or the camera. Came back home to the city and tried to get some shots at night and they didn't turn out too good

Turn down your iso and up the exposure time. Shoot ~ f/8-10.

I'm assuming you're using a tripod.

Looks like you're having fun out there Rolo. Hope you have a One when you get back. :smh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom