The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Which do yous think is better, Canon- EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Camera with 18.55mm IS STM Lens or Canon Rebel TS DSLR Camera with 18.55mm and 75-300mm Lens? Thanks

If you are speaking of the bodies.....Id go with the SL1 all the way. If you don't mind the smaller size, handling is very good....touch screen, and ISO performance is a little bit better then the T5.

Like others have stated though, your best bet is getting good glass.

Which do yous think is better, Canon- EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Camera with 18.55mm IS STM Lens or Canon Rebel TS DSLR Camera with 18.55mm and 75-300mm Lens? Thanks

If you are speaking of the bodies.....Id go with the SL1 all the way. If you don't mind the smaller size, handling is very good....touch screen, and ISO performance is a little bit better then the T5.

Like others have stated though, your best bet is getting good glass.

EH... any rebel model is going to have horrible high ISO performance imo...

good point.....I'm happy with my SL1....good for what it does. been having a ball lately with my 7D & 70D....both left me broke but well worth the upgrades. I'm hopefully going to pick up a 6D or 5D Mark II used sometime this month.

good point.....I'm happy with my SL1....good for what it does. been having a ball lately with my 7D & 70D....both left me broke but well worth the upgrades. I'm hopefully going to pick up a 6D or 5D Mark II used sometime this month.

I'm currently shooting a 5d Mark II.

After I buy my own flash transmitter and off camera flash I'm going to start saving for a second body. Will probably go for a 5d mark 3.

The SL1 is REALLY small, like uncomfortably so.

Just get a used T4i and with the money saved pick up a 50mm 1.8 and/or 24mm STM.

Enjoying everyones photos, keep going.

Some recents for me...

I stopped caring at this point.. iso 2000 on a D90. Grain and rain..I still love it.
D.C. by Benjamin F., on Flickr

Noise and grain can work really well in a shot. This one you posted is a perfect example of that. If this shot was extremely clean and noise free, it wouldnt have nearly as much life as this shot does.

:smile:

im looking for a backpack for a camera or two and some school stuff like a couple notebooks, binder, folders and a laptop.

now i might end up getting a northface backpack and getting domke wraps. that would be easier and cheaper. i only have one lens i use with all my cameras so it wouldnt matter to me. i'll just attach the lense to the said camera and wrap it.

any other ideas for a bag? almost got a hundreds backpack, but someone said theres ripped after a year so thats a no go for that one.

im looking for a backpack for a camera or two and some school stuff like a couple notebooks, binder, folders and a laptop.

now i might end up getting a northface backpack and getting domke wraps. that would be easier and cheaper. i only have one lens i use with all my cameras so it wouldnt matter to me. i'll just attach the lense to the said camera and wrap it.

any other ideas for a bag? almost got a hundreds backpack, but someone said theres ripped after a year so thats a no go for that one.

http://store.lowepro.com/photo-hatchback-22l-aw

That's the backpack I use, but it'd probably be tough to fit in a laptop and books along with DSLR equipment.

I've got this pack that I have been using for the last 5 years or so.  It is built quiet well.  The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to have the cameras and lenses un-mounted when they are stored in the pack.  Otherwise it is great.  The laptop compartment holds my 15" mbp, and it has a lot of padding.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/shape-shifter

ok so im interested in purchasing a new camera. the owner tells me he uses a hand held light meter since batteries for it are hard to get where he is at. whatever the case may be he said when he did use batteries the meter worked. he will be getting the batteries and trying it out to make sure the meter still works.he also said the camera still works fine and there are no issues with the lens.

then he showed me this picture and said he doesnt know if its scan problems, flare or light leak. he believes it might be the scan since its only happened once. what do you guys think?

12822186_10153953210334509_1014597250_n.jpg

http://store.lowepro.com/photo-hatchback-22l-aw

That's the backpack I use, but it'd probably be tough to fit in a laptop and books along with DSLR equipment.

cool thanks. i've been looking at this hundreds and seems to be the one other then the fact someone says theirs ripped after a year.

http://thehundreds.com/shop/accessories/steven-backpack-black.html

someone on instagram fit all this in theirs lol

http://igbox.co/p/896713624839031491_4129641/

http://www.chromeindustries.com/niko-pack-camera-backpack

Don't own this bag but I do own a Chrome bag. Quality stuff.

ok so im interested in purchasing a new camera. the owner tells me he uses a hand held light meter since batteries for it are hard to get where he is at. whatever the case may be he said when he did use batteries the meter worked. he will be getting the batteries and trying it out to make sure the meter still works.he also said the camera still works fine and there are no issues with the lens.

then he showed me this picture and said he doesnt know if its scan problems, flare or light leak. he believes it might be the scan since its only happened once. what do you guys think?

Based on what you say he said, I would be running for the hills with this sale. Those things he is saying seem so sketch and an easy way to say "I told you it was working befor, but I couldn't test it." Have him scan some other pictures to show it was a scanner problem. If it's a scanner problem, he should be able to reproduce a similar image with the same slide, as well as markings similar to that on other slides. Either way, I would feel super nervous about it.

Last edited:
Thats a great deal.

you'll open yourself up for a lot of learning opportunities with that.
Cool. Think I'll bite the bullet tonight if it's still there when I get off of work. Did some quick research on it and it looks good. Only thing that bothers me is the refurb and 90 day warranty, but that's just cause I like new when it comes to electronics. I'll be fine though 

Thats a great deal.

Cool. Think I'll bite the bullet tonight if it's still there when I get off of work. Did some quick research on it and it looks good. Only thing that bothers me is the refurb and 90 day warranty, but that's just cause I like new when it comes to electronics. I'll be fine though 

Shoot like crazy with it for 2.5 months... if it hasnt broken on you I highly doubt it will.

Thats a great deal.

Even the entry level Nikons are built pretty well. Can't speak on the 3300, but my 3200 is still going strong even after it's been dropped a few times. Shutter count is probably around 20,000 give or take.

Definitely look into copping the 35mm f/1.8G lens. Amazing on the DX Nikons.

I'm a big fan of nikons, and those entry models have a great sensor in them as well. That link for buydig had it come out to $495 after clicking that link. If that's the price, I'd just buy a new one on bhphoto for the same price, just without the wifi and bag, instead of the refurb.

I'm a big fan of nikons, and those entry models have a great sensor in them as well. That link for buydig had it come out to $495 after clicking that link. If that's the price, I'd just buy a new one on bhphoto for the same price, just without the wifi and bag, instead of the refurb.
Comes to $394 with the coupon in the link. 

I am a pretty new at photography and have the Sony RX100 M1 and use it for basic photography.  If I want to take the next step and learn more/have more control over my camera what would be a good upgrade? 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom