The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Finally got the 35mm for my sony a6000 and the 85mm for canon t2i.

Also did an event saturday and almost finished my website.

Shout out to @DJYoung08  for the tips. 

Last edited:
Had a gender reveal gig on sunday

Trying to minimize shake when moving around a client. Like moving from their right to the left side. Also want to try to get into some video like the hairstylists have where the cameras circles em

Would a Steadicam or something similar work for you?

So do y'all blatantly take pics of other people or do you try to be sly about. I have to earn back my creepy photographer badge

Depends. I sometimes just blatantly do it and give them a genuine smile at the end. Sometimes I ask if I can take a picture especially for street portraits. It's really your demeanor that matters when it comes to street photograph. If you're confident and look like you know what you're doing, nothing will come of it. If you're looking awkward and kind of suspect, might be a turn off to people. The joys of street photography! lol

i think "creep" was a bad word choice, i could have worded it differently. kinda has a negative connotation lol. i think its more about trying to go unnoticed and finding candid moments that, through the course of regular day, would otherwise seem trivial and insignificant. but shooting from the hip works, spraying and praying sometimes works but with a low hit rate

Trying to minimize shake when moving around a client. Like moving from their right to the left side. Also want to try to get into some video like the hairstylists have where the cameras circles em

Would a Steadicam or something similar work for you?

So do y'all blatantly take pics of other people or do you try to be sly about. I have to earn back my creepy photographer badge

Depends. I sometimes just blatantly do it and give them a genuine smile at the end. l

tumblr_niysnz6Dzf1ta3tz1o1_400.gif

Depends. I sometimes just blatantly do it and give them a genuine smile at the end. Sometimes I ask if I can take a picture especially for street portraits. It's really your demeanor that matters when it comes to street photograph. If you're confident and look like you know what you're doing, nothing will come of it. If you're looking awkward and kind of suspect, might be a turn off to people. The joys of street photography! lol

confidence definitely helps and, as with most situations, having/using a little charm can go a long way. in those times when you are asked/confronted about taking rather than making a picture if you can disarm or withstand the initial "why are you taking MY picture" assault you are good money...also i think if you hang out in a place for a good minute, observe things you start to blend in and not only notice little things but also kinda anticipate things happening, it is one of the cooler aspects of street photography

i think "creep" was a bad word choice, i could have worded it differently. kinda has a negative connotation lol. i think its more about trying to go unnoticed and finding candid moments that, through the course of regular day, would otherwise seem trivial and insignificant. but shooting from the hip works, spraying and praying sometimes works but with a low hit rate

it may have a negative association, but going unnoticed is almost the literal definition of creep, to be inconspicuous, to be stealthy, is to creep...#embraceyourinnercreeper, but i think what you are maybe getting at is what mjbetch mentioned about 'looking suspect,' if the intention is to be deceiving, then it can be an issue when you get caught (and you definitely will get caught sometimes), for me it is really difficult for me to shoot from the hip because it always feels not only awkward but the pictures aren't usually good either...

#flawlessexecution

I have to work on this creep aspect of street photography and how to approach people. I'm not the most confident dude so it's a bit difficult and it has affected my shooting. I've tried shooting from the hip and incognito and the results have been bad. Can't wait to get the new Sony 50mm so I can develop my portrait work.

I have to work on this creep aspect of street photography and how to approach people. I'm not the most confident dude so it's a bit difficult and it has affected my shooting. I've tried shooting from the hip and incognito and the results have been bad. Can't wait to get the new Sony 50mm so I can develop my portrait work.

The more you shoot, the more you'll be accustomed to it

For those shooting from the hip, how are you guys shooting? I would usually have my camera anywhere from f/8 to f/16 (zone focusing is easiest here. If you don't zone focus, it becomes exponentially harder.) and at minimum be at 1/250th of a second. ISO whatever it may be; Usually 800-1600. Composing is somewhat difficult. You do get lucky at times.

These two were from my first time attempting shooting from the hip about 2 years ago. First one, got really lucky. Second one, missed it. lol

GBRL2979.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GBRL2948.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

Last edited:
A steadicam might be a decent choice I'll check that out sometime today. Creep by definition is a lot better than the current connotation that society has made it but it's a fairly good word to use in this situation. When I did shoot from said hip I was using my 24-120mm lens on auto auto focus using 51 focus points and could get some good shots. That was my favorite lens even after I dropped it

Someone keeps asking me to do a portrait headshot for them - guess they need one like ASAP for some internship thing. I've only been shooting this month and only take shots at one event. Any tips for this headshot? I looked back a few pages and saw the tips on the portraits and they were good. Currently shooting with a Nikon 3300 and the lenses that came with it (18-55mm and 55-200mm)

Someone keeps asking me to do a portrait headshot for them - guess they need one like ASAP for some internship thing. I've only been shooting this month and only take shots at one event. Any tips for this headshot? I looked back a few pages and saw the tips on the portraits and they were good. Currently shooting with a Nikon 3300 and the lenses that came with it (18-55mm and 55-200mm)

Off camera flash would be nice, but you can do without. For headshots, I would shoot at a focal length around 100-200mm equivalent to limit distortion.

I suggest the same thing regarding focal length. Of course find a spot with a simple background if you don't already either plan on shooting in a studio or office building

I've been trying to put together a list of items for a "Mobile Headshot" kind of setup. I have the item list down just need to nail down the list of brands to choose

Might be getting back on the client horse sooner than expected. Coworker wants me to take daugther's pics, family pics, and her son's birthday. It will also be my first studio session so I'm kinda excited. Been sketching shots and poses

Back
Top Bottom