The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

50mm or 35 for my first prime? 

Street photography = 35mm

Five-types-street-photography-up-close-1.jpg

Traditional portrait photography = 50mm

top-10-portrait.jpg

heres something new i havent shared yet. i went crab fishing with my grandparents last month. what do you guys think?

50mm or 35 for my first prime? 

Street photography = 35mm

Five-types-street-photography-up-close-1.jpg

Traditional portrait photography = 50mm

top-10-portrait.jpg

to piggyback on this for a hot minute, while traditionally both 35mm & 50mm have been used for street style stuff, also depending on whether your camera is a crop sensor or a 35mm sensor (and even onto medium & large formats) it will change the effective focal length of the lens (this is maybe one of the more confusing aspects about choosing lenses for the different formats, and it isn't always made clear) but there really isn't any reason you couldn't do street with a longer lens & portraits with a wide angle lens...yes each would come with certain constraints/issues but that will true with any lens mounted to a camera, go out and shoot what you like, how you like, with whatever you like, you will figure a lot out by doing, and if you get stuck #doyourgoogles there is likely something that will help you get over the thing you are trying to figure out...

Any tips for achieving half shadow, half light shots? (Ex: Total darkness, light setups etc.)

I don't dabble too much in post production/ processing, only if necessary. I like natural images.

Using for portraits and objects.

Last edited:
heres something new i havent shared yet. i went crab fishing with my grandparents last month. what do you guys think?
Nice shot, looks perfectly leveled. Would be interesting to see what colors in the sky could be brought out with editing to make the picture so much more rich

I've been practicing on editing shots using the spot adjustment tool in LR and I'm starting to kinda get used to it and I may never adjust a picture as a whole again

The spotty light on her shoulder and back of her neck irritates me to no end...

But her eyes came out extremely sharp and vibrant :wow:

Nice shot, looks perfectly leveled. Would be interesting to see what colors in the sky could be brought out with editing to make the picture so much more rich

I've been practicing on editing shots using the spot adjustment tool in LR and I'm starting to kinda get used to it and I may never adjust a picture as a whole again

I will have to mess with that because I agree more can be done. I'm just now getting better at editing the whole picture. It will be good to learn to edit specific parts so I'll try that tonight. Any good videos on this?

Edit: i'll post the original later.

Last edited:
I'll be in NYC next week, are there any camera shops worth hitting up to cop some new gear?

or would I be better off just ordering online 

I'll be in NYC next week, are there any camera shops worth hitting up to cop some new gear?

or would I be better off just ordering online 

I'm in NYC next week as well :pimp:

BH superstore is there... It's pretty awesome. Sales tax is going to be high though. Just go to the store, check out stuff, order online and pick it up at your house when you get back.

Yeah......order online cause it's free shipping and tax free. It's just not worth getting it at stores nowadays.

So I just learned something today online that makes me realize I still don't know jack about photography. I have Yongnuo flashes and found out they don't have high speed sync feature and had no idea what that even meant. The wonder I can't shoot with this thing at dusk or with minimal light. I always felt my settings were off but apparently these flashes really are only good for no light areas. So now I have to get a new flash cause I really want to shoot flash during the daylight.

thanks for the tips guys, so BH superstore would be the best place to go to check stuff out and get some info?

also what's the best (cheapest) website to buy stuff from these days? 

thanks for the tips guys, so BH superstore would be the best place to go to check stuff out and get some info?

also what's the best (cheapest) website to buy stuff from these days? 

Adorama is also another B&H like store, Ive purchased plenty of gear there...... (its on West 18th Street)

For anyone thats gonna be in the area next week....Ill be off work starting this saturday till the 9th. If anyone is up to meet up, feel free to drop me a message.

A few from my shoot last week. Not very happy with it since it was lightweight awkward. Dude shows up an hour late, comes with his friend/girlfriend who doesn't say a word while we are there which lead me to think the two were in a fight (I didn't know she was even going to be there but she made it seem like she didn't even want to be there). With that happening I felt pressured to just get out of there asap. :rolleyes....oh and on top of that it seemed like the dude wanted me to get a bunch of shots with him doing some random *** poses next to the car and I was like wtf lol since I wasn't expecting that.

Andddd while I was on the island scouting locations this girl walks up to me and says will you wait here I have something to show you. I'm like :rolleyes uhh okay. So I'm in my car waiting for me and she comes back with this painting of some brown dude (I'm Indian) with red trees and a bee next to him. She says she painted this after some author went missing and the day after she painted it the author was found. I like like oh cool and then floored it. el oh el All in all it was a weird day.

Still working on these but here's what I got so far.

I need to clone out the reflections from the taillight but I suck so bad at cloning :\

My favorite out of the 200+ shots I took

After all this the car wasn't even washed. SMH It's not like I'm a PS guru or somethin

Last edited:
hey guys im really trying to get my youtube going. i have a bunch of content i want to put on youtube, but heres my dilemma.i have a 50mm 1.8 which is a nice and sharp lens, but for video indoor its not working as my room where i'll be doing my videos is small. i have a canon t1i and have to resort to using the canon 18-55 kit lens that came with it. the quality of the kit lens is terrible. it provides good enough quality for me to use it for now, but overall its not great. what a good replacement lens? i need something cheap that i can get fast. sort of dont have a budget but under $300 would be great

@yanky  What color is that car?  I saw you wrote it wasn't washed, but I can't even figure it out.  It looks like some cheap *** fake carbon wrap.

@yanky
 What color is that car?  I saw you wrote it wasn't washed, but I can't even figure it out.  It looks like some cheap *** fake carbon wrap.

The original color is black but it's wrapped in some satin black type thing (ruined it imo). Now that you mention the fake carbon wrap he did have some carbon wrap on it. When I saw it I was like wait I don't think the gallardo has carbon fiber here and sure enough it's wrapped. I just did the face palm when I saw it. How someone can ruin this car is beyond me.

Carbon fiber crap wrap

hey guys im really trying to get my youtube going. i have a bunch of content i want to put on youtube, but heres my dilemma.i have a 50mm 1.8 which is a nice and sharp lens, but for video indoor its not working as my room where i'll be doing my videos is small. i have a canon t1i and have to resort to using the canon 18-55 kit lens that came with it. the quality of the kit lens is terrible. it provides good enough quality for me to use it for now, but overall its not great. what a good replacement lens? i need something cheap that i can get fast. sort of dont have a budget but under $300 would be great

If you are looking for a wider prime, go with a 24mm pancake.

Yeah......order online cause it's free shipping and tax free. It's just not worth getting it at stores nowadays.

So I just learned something today online that makes me realize I still don't know jack about photography. I have Yongnuo flashes and found out they don't have high speed sync feature and had no idea what that even meant. The wonder I can't shoot with this thing at dusk or with minimal light. I always felt my settings were off but apparently these flashes really are only good for no light areas. So now I have to get a new flash cause I really want to shoot flash during the daylight.

You dont need high speed sync. I shoot my yongnuos in midday sun all the time. I use a Westcott Rapid box as my modifier. It will open up the shadows nd give you a clean look if you use your flash. If you have any questions let me know dude

Anybody got any good solutions for storing photos - both for backup and software for sorting? I've just got mine dumped in folders which means they're all there but I have to search for things sometimes.

I lost a few a few years ago too - I have the edited jpegs but not the raw files and it's always bothered me. My PC is backed up now but are there any really neat ways of keeping separate copies? Photographers must have this sorted.

I use Lightroom. Every shoot I do gets its own catalogue. I have my folders stored on my hard drive by date. 2016>20160430-Niketalk..

In that folder is another folder called 00 RAW/PSD WHERE I keep all the raw files plus PSD files that are created when i send photos to photoshop from lightroom

Inside lightroom I use collections. 00 All Images... 01 Client Gallery... 02 Client Selections ... 03 Client Edits etc.

This makes a world of difference in my workflow

Back
Top Bottom