The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Man..it's been over 6 months since I posted in this thread and pretty much have put my camera down for that entire duration. Most of my resolutions this year has to do with self improvement and photography is apart of that. Here's to picking up my camera again and rejoining the NT photography fam!
pimp.gif

I LOVE that picture of the Lighter Fongstarr. Great shot! Torque the 50mm would be good for that, or any fast prime lens. I currently use my 50mm 1.4 when I go out at night but I want something with a wide angle considering I cant pick how tight the spots might be to shoot in. Khankussionz if that 910 is anything like my 800 you should have a up and down arrow or a + and - button that sets the brightness of the flash. Start at 0 and go up or down from there. If you are shooting in different lighting situations, you will constantly have to keep changing it. Sit down and read the manuals people. They dont put them in the box for fun.:lol:

My boys chopped down the Snowman in the yard.. I finally got around to making a watermark.

Severed Snowman2 by Wills Lost Camera, on Flickr

Severed Snowman1 by Wills Lost Camera, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shots Fongstarr. I added you on flickr.

Canon shooters, 50MM L or 24MM L? I'm looking for the sharpest lens, I love shooting at both focal ranges.

Yeah. I saw the price drop on the Mark 2 and a local camera shop as well. I was ready to jump but then saw the 6D and decided to wait and come here for advice. Lol. I have a 24-105 to pair with it, but I definitely want some primes. The shots I see of the 35L and your 24L are amazing.
I may go tomorrow to pick up the Mark 2 :smile:

I've had the 6d for about 3 weeks now. I chose it over the 5d MK II , the MKIII was out of reach for me. Reason I went for the 6d was that it has a newer sensor and it's low light perforance. The center cross point on this thing is ridiculous with high iso shots being usable. I love it. Also, I thought the wifi was gimmicky, but I've been using it alot to view the pics and download directly onto my iphone/ipad.

For you guys that like shooting wide open, what metering mode are you using?

I have a hard time getting proper focus when shooting wide open...

Here is a blurry pic showing my neck strap turned into a hand strap. Works great!

I used a zip tie.

Khankussionz if that 910 is anything like my 800 you should have a up and down arrow or a + and - button that sets the brightness of the flash. Start at 0 and go up or down from there. If you are shooting in different lighting situations, you will constantly have to keep changing it. Sit down and read the manuals people. They dont put them in the box for fun.:lol:

... I did read the manual... All pictures were taken sitting in the same spot right after each other... Weird huh???

Great pics fellas. I also wanna shoot more for 2013. I plan on taking my camera out the house more frequently. I'm doing a 365 this year, started one last year and didn't make it past the 12th of Jan. :smh:.

Lola by locobaby, on Flickr

Last edited:
gonna start shooting again.

i barely shot anything last year, gotta get back up on it. 365 attempt will have to be a day late.

starting off wrong lol.

Ben, don't bother with a 365.

Yes, if you follow through you'll be inspired take a picture a day, but what good is that

if the majority of the pictures, if not all, are going to be like the one you just posted.

I say eff a 365. Go outside Go look. Go put thought into your pictures.

The way I see it, when someone starts a 365 project, they start to worry more about having to take one picture a day,

instead of worrying about what it is that they are taking pictures of.

Don't take offense, those are just my two cents.

Peace!

trying to do a 365 this year also. i know most of my pictures will be pretty uninteresting, but its a good way to keep practicing. i don't plan on posting all the pics, but when i get good ones i will.

i'd like to get it all printed in a book at the end of the year, would make a cool coffee table book.

anybody take their "fresh" picture yet? having a hard time coming up with a good idea..

Took my simple little D40 with my 50-200mm lens to the Nuggets vs Clippers game (Apparently 200mm is the limit. Security was about to Debo the camera
mean.gif
) Anyway, snapped 100+ shots and I'd say a good handful came out OK including the ones posted. Now I'm no photographer by any means, but I'd like to improve my skills. My question to you guys would be, do you feel I should do any editing to any of these pics posted for them to be considered "complete"? To me from an amateur's POV I feel these came out pretty great, but I'd like to know from a more knowledgeable person if there is in fact things I could tweak in these photos to make them better.

Nice shots Fongstarr. I added you on flickr.

Canon shooters, 50MM L or 24MM L? I'm looking for the sharpest lens, I love shooting at both focal ranges.

I would say 24L. It's more unique, and IMO, a 50/1.4 holds it's own in comparison to the 50L. There is no replacement for the 24L, it's great.

I would say 24L. It's more unique, and IMO, a 50/1.4 holds it's own in comparison to the 50L. There is no replacement for the 24L, it's great.

I definitely would get the 24mm over the 50mm as well but mostly cause I like wide shots more so then narrow ones. I am still struggling to want to keep the 24mm that I own. I still want to go more wide. I just feel like my passion relies more towards landscapes/environment over portraits and other such things. I think I literally have 4 days to decide until I pull the trigger on what to get. I really want the 14mm L but I just can't seem to dig up an extra $500.

A salvaged shot of some pigeons that I tried to get airborne today. Even though this looks way over processed, the original colored version looked way worse cause it was shot at dusk and the end of the ally was blown out white. I couldn't darken it more to make it look natural. Oh well.

a-new-day-8.jpg

Just purchased a 35mm 1.4 Lens. I'll roll with that for my welcome home party from Afghanistan. 
happy.gif

Looking forward to shooting at Cherry Blossom Festival when I get home as well. 

LA08Native, I know what you mean, but lately as an amateur I haven't wanted to go out and shoot for a while, so I'm hoping this will at least motivate me and remind me to go out and shoot after work(or just take my camera and do shooting right after )...But don't get me wrong I like taking pictures of my gaming setups and stuff cause I know some people might be into the stuff I take pictures of in my room...That TV shot was a picture of my gaming desk and it was a new TV I got yesterday so the picture for me meant something to me. We each love our own types of photography or maybe just a simple product shot. But i will give 365 project a try and will gladly let you tell me what I can work on and what I can do to get better shots cause at the end of the day we all can improve in something.

I definitely would get the 24mm over the 50mm as well but mostly cause I like wide shots more so then narrow ones. I am still struggling to want to keep the 24mm that I own. I still want to go more wide. I just feel like my passion relies more towards landscapes/environment over portraits and other such things. I think I literally have 4 days to decide until I pull the trigger on what to get. I really want the 14mm L but I just can't seem to dig up an extra $500.
Bro, I feel you. When I first started, I used a 7D and a 50 1.4...that's it. I learned everything I know from that combo. I decided to go wide and went for the 24L. When I first got it, I gotta admit, I didn't like it. It looked too soft when fully open and I feel like I didn't get the depth I wanted like what I could do with the 50. I was close to returning it. I'm into street photography (http://www.flickr.com/instantvantage) and I really wanted something wide. It was wide but I thought I'd go wider. I picked up a Tokina 11-16 just so see how wide I really wanted and I think it was just too much for what I wanted. I finally decided to just limit myself with the 24L and nothing else and to just force myself to use it and it became my number one lens. I've learned to just shoot at 2.0-2.8 regularly, but I love the option of having the 1.4 when the it's dark as hell. Shot inside churches and it's my everyday walk around lens. It's built like a tank and it's weather sealed...gotta love it. Now that I've picked up a 5D Mark III, it's cemented on! It's wider now since it's FF and I don't think I could ever part with the lens.

LA08Native, I know what you mean, but lately as an amateur I haven't wanted to go out and shoot for a while, so I'm hoping this will at least motivate me and remind me to go out and shoot after work(or just take my camera and do shooting right after )...But don't get me wrong I like taking pictures of my gaming setups and stuff cause I know some people might be into the stuff I take pictures of in my room...That TV shot was a picture of my gaming desk and it was a new TV I got yesterday so the picture for me meant something to me. We each love our own types of photography or maybe just a simple product shot. But i will give 365 project a try and will gladly let you tell me what I can work on and what I can do to get better shots cause at the end of the day we all can improve in something.
Well put my brother. Photography is "relative". I know we have all seen pictures on Facebook of something like a newborn baby taken on a cellphone. Horrible exposure, grainy, not following any rule of photography at all, yet 100 likes and all the comments say stuff like beautiful picture or even a comment like, you should frame this. A 365 is a great way for you to pick up that camera and shoot. As long as you grow and advance in your personal photographic experience then I believe you have gained something from your 365.

Happy New Year NT! I prefer a 35mm over a 24mm but thats just me. As for those starting out with a 365, good luck. It may seem easy but its a lot harder than you think (Completed 2)

From New Years.

--

From today. New year, new watermark.

More on the blog - www.dunksrnice.net

I am having a difficulty thinking of something "Fresh" for the weekly theme. I am also going to try a 365 this year. I will not label it X of 365, but its just a personal thing anyways so it wont matter. I dont think that pic looks too processed Fong, I was shooting some birds the other day and didn't notice how slow my shutter speed was and the birds were moving to fast. All of the pictures came out blurry and useless IMO. Nice new watermark dunksrnice.

Back
Top Bottom