The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Before:

After:

Rolls Royce by Yanky4585, on Flickr

anyone here have experience with M42 lens? I've heard they're a decent bargain and a much cheaper way to shoot with glass

Agreed, but after you judge composition don't you enjoy how good the picture is?
Picking up the fine details due to the sharpness is a huge plus in my book.
I'm not talking about out of focus - I'm talking about soft versus sharp. 

Yes, so images are best sharp and others just work better soft.

As a photographer, you and you only have to decide your style and decide what works best for you.

I'm not talking about out of focus - I'm talking about soft versus sharp. 

Yes, so images are best sharp and others just work better soft.

As a photographer, you and you only have to decide your style and decide what works best for you.

not sure what you mean bro....you just cant take an OOF shot and call it a good shot because is your style, are you talking about working with a shallow DOF??...even if you shoot at 1.2 and miss the focus on the eyes, that shot will look terrible...the shot has to have some sort of focus, when shooting people you ALWAYS aim to get the eyes SHARP, specially with a shallow DOF where everything else is bokeh'd out.

not sure what you mean bro....you just cant take an OOF shot and call it a good shot because is your style, are you talking about working with a shallow DOF??...even if you shoot at 1.2 and miss the focus on the eyes, that shot will look terrible...the shot has to have some sort of focus, when shooting people you ALWAYS aim to get the eyes SHARP, specially with a shallow DOF where everything else is bokeh'd out.
This is my terrible shot

My son running around the house and I decided to snap a photo wide open 85L @ 1.2

Not because you are shooting portrait you want a picture that is sharp (tac), there are times you want your images with that soft focus. Glam is all about soft focus, it hides blemishes soften the skin and hard edges and the images are more pleasing than tac sharp. Same can be said about landscape photography, depending on the location and imagery/mood you might want something soft rather than sharp.

Just saying.

Lastly, when shooting people you ALWAYS dont have to aim to get the eyes SHARP, that's blasphemy. 

Last edited:
This is my terrible shot

My son running around the house and I decided to snap a photo wide open 85L @ 1.2

Not because you are shooting portrait you want a picture that is sharp (tac), there are times you want your images with that soft focus. Glam is all about soft focus, it hides blemishes soften the skin and hard edges and the images are more pleasing than tac sharp. Same can be said about landscape photography, depending on the location and imagery/mood you might want something soft rather than sharp.

Just saying.

Lastly, when shooting people you ALWAYS dont have to aim to get the eyes SHARP, that's blasphemy. 

seems like you nailed the focus in that shot fam.....thats just a shallow DOF portrait to me, well done actually.

you miss the focus on the eyes, you missed the shot, there is no saving that shot, no matter what you say bro....soft eyes is a big no no in portrait photography.

seems like you nailed the focus in that shot fam.....thats just a shallow DOF portrait to me, well done actually.

you miss the focus on the eyes, you missed the shot, there is no saving that shot, no matter what you say bro....soft eyes is a big no no in portrait photography.
Actually the eyes are rather soft - if you notice the top of the hat, you'll see it's extremely sharp. However, overall the picture works, very nice soft and compliments my son.

What you might see as "nailing" it to me might look missing it, but then again - I'm very particular with my photography. 

For the most part you are correct, but the eyes are not always the focus of the picture. 

Just do a search for soft focus vs sharp focus ...

For example - if I stomp my 85L at 5.6 it will be super sharp, but if I stomp it down even further 11 is super soft - I can shot it both ways, sometimes I do 11 vices 5.6 because I dont want all the details - expecially when shooting older people that are paranoid about their wrinkles. This way you soften their skin without having to do it all post. That's just an extreme example ....

i understand your concept of soft focus, but i just cant agree with a portrait shot where the eyes if anything is OOF as being a good shot....

There's a big difference from OoF to Soft ... Not the best example of what Im talking but nevertheless is an example.

In addition sometimes in portrait there are others point of interest besides the eyes.

Anyways, its all good ...

Going back to a comment I made about finding his style - I meant in general, not about shooting soft or sharp or none of that - just a style period!

Last edited:
based on that i wouldnt consider your shot a "soft focus" shot bro, just a well taken portrait at a very Shallow DOF in which from what i can see you nailed the eyes...

when photographing portraits of peoples faces i dont see what can possibly be more important than their eyes....i dunno bro.....just not my thing and if others do it, whatever but i wont ever look at a face portrait with soft eyes and say is a good shot.

smh the magazine opportunity i talked about a couple weeks ago a few weeks ago because my homies "management" are pretty much insisting he use their photographer. imo the "professional" photography shoots in studios and whatnot are kinda played out when it comes to a new artist.. look at how OF, TDE and everyone from Chiraq came up online.. it's unfortunate they could see what i was aiming for but w/e

Back
Top Bottom