The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Does anyone here watch sneaker channels? I try to do sneaker videos but I don't have the right lens. Can you guys reccomend one for a crop body? I'm going to get a 80d in the future so it needs to be stm but I will use it with my canon t1i for now. All I have is kit lens and 50mm

Last edited:
DJYoung:

Thanks for the feedback, my dude. It's good to get positive comments from someone who is legit. My Instagram is right here

Couple questions:

- What do you think is the key to nailing backlighting from the sun? I still catch myself guessing far too much.

- Do you find yourself underexposing in post-process more for happy, pretty photos, like weddings/engagements? That's a style I've noticed from a lot of others, bringing that slider up

- Do you think I am really better off going 85mm for portraits instead of 50mm? I often find myself wishing that I had an 85 and a 28 pancake, or a combo like that. Sometimes 50 isn't at all wide enough or long enough. I like using longer lenses for events because they're less intrusive.

Here are some of my recent shots, for the other folks

Shot/edited this one last night... thoughts?

Some of my other recent faves

Does anyone here watch sneaker channels? I try to do sneaker videos but I don't have the right lens. Can you guys reccomend one for a crop body? I'm going to get a 80d in the future so it needs to be stm but I will use it with my canon t1i for now. All I have is kit lens and 50mm

10-18 STM is probably the most used for Vlogs. Also take a look at the 18-135 STM. Both should about handle everything besides low light which I see the Sigma 18-35/1.8 recommended a lot.

10-18 STM is probably the most used for Vlogs. Also take a look at the 18-135 STM. Both should about handle everything besides low light which I see the Sigma 18-35/1.8 recommended a lot.

These lenses are good? My 18-135 that came with my canon t1i is terrible. Most do say kit lenses are terrible too. Right now i record with the kit lense just to get something workable and record b roll with my 50mm.

Last edited:
DJYoung:

Thanks for the feedback, my dude. It's good to get positive comments from someone who is legit. My Instagram is right here

Couple questions:

Here are some of my recent shots, for the other folks

- What do you think is the key to nailing backlighting from the sun? I still catch myself guessing far too much.

Not sure what you mean by your question. Set your exposure for the skin... Doing that will make a very washed out background. Use a light if you want illuminate your subject more to allow for a darker background.

Subject is backlit from the sun... as seen by the rim light around his hair... I had my assistant illuminate him using a reflector to get colors that are more rich

Also back lit... But i did not have my assistant so I dropped the highlights and darkened the greenery around her in lightroom. Royal pain

- Do you find yourself underexposing in post-process more for happy, pretty photos, like weddings/engagements? That's a style I've noticed from a lot of others, bringing that slider up
I don't see myself choosing to under expose for weddings / engagements. I think you mean over exposing. Which, technically, when using only natural light, I over expose the entire scene to properly expose for the skin of the subject(s).

It is a trend right now to have very bright / airy / low saturation photos because of pinterest. I don't particularly love the look as it is from a technical photography standpoint incorrect but my clients do.

- Do you think I am really better off going 85mm for portraits instead of 50mm? I often find myself wishing that I had an 85 and a 28 pancake, or a combo like that. Sometimes 50 isn't at all wide enough or long enough. I like using longer lenses for events because they're less intrusive.

Yes. 50mm is definitely amazing for portraits and especially for family portraits its a very good focal length.

However, when doing solo portraits or even couples portraits, you'll want a long lens. I have an 85mm 1.8 and used it until I had enough jobs to pay for the 70-200. I still use the 85mm 1.8 often.

28 pancake would be good for environmental portraits that show off where the subject is.

85mm 1.8 examples

70-200 2.8 shot at 200mm 2.8. Love the compression @ 200mm

Shot/edited this one last night... thoughts?

Dope man... It looks like the transparent layer is supposed to be "behind" the layer isnt transparent.

I would have created a mask and erase the part of the transparent layer that overlaps the non transparent layer.

djyoung08 djyoung08

Hey do you have any tips on getting consistent edits? For example one picture isnt brighter then another. Not exposure wise but a picture as a whole so that if someone is viewing multiple pictures they are all similar and don't look off. I see a lot of people get great results with filters but I'm manually editing in lightroom. I have a work flow down, but now I'm trying to make each picture have consistent results

Plan on cloning out that creepy ladys face above the wheel

...okay maybe she's not creepy :lol:

Last edited:
recent photos from a trip to santa cruz with my family

did a second edit to this one. which one do you like better? I like this one as the background isn't as harsh, but I think I need to go back and brighten the face up. What do you guys think?

ohuuk2.jpg

Last edited:
Those Santa Cruz pics bring back some great memories.

Took a trip to Annapolis, MD yesterday for pre-4th festivities.  Weather was perfect and I was able to take a few shots. Peace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom