The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Great shots Joe! I miss Hong Kong so much at times. How long were you at the China terminal building? I took a time lapse there, and it took forever because cars kept coming in and out.

thanks guys. i was there for about 40 minutes just kinda standing around and waiting for people to pass. it was my last day there and around 5pm so i didn't want to stay too long since i wanted to head out and do some other stuff like eat at some restaurants i had on my list of places to visit lol

Went to the Philippines back in July and finally getting around to editing some photos... and I can't figure out if I like the color or b/w edit better. That's what I love about photography, you get to tell the story behind the photo. Your thoughts?

33161541544_a23047eb0a_c.jpg

33192118343_71298a065c_c.jpg

Anyone mess with that $90 YongGuo 35mm f/2 lens for Canon?

Reviews are kinda all over, some say its good for the price, some say it wont be sharp enough. Even a used Canon 35 is $250-$300.

In any case, instead of grabbing a 6D, may just grab an 80D and grab a 35. Thoughts?

^^^^^This hobby is one of those things where if you spend more, the performance won't be that much better but will still be the better bet. I am almost positive if you get the 80D, you will upgrade again and get another camera that will most likely be a full frame. Personally if I was you, I would never get the 80D. Those subpar crop lenses are just to close to getting the better crop lens like the 7D mark 2. And if you get that camera, you might as well get the 6D since you mostly likely won't need the burst mode features. The only reason why a 7D might work for you is cause you shoot mostly portraits and the crop would be better for you lens wise. That Yonguo is a good bang for your buck but a temporary lens at best. Everyone goes through it though. I have the Nifty Fifty and used it for 7 months and it's collecting dust now.

The 80D will be a side grade for you unless you need to shoot video. Skip the Yongnuo, either get the 35/2 IS USM for your T5 or save up and get a used 6D. Used 6D's should be around $900-1000 depending on condition and what is included on forums. I just purchased one recently and the center point autofocus and low light performance is enough for my shooting needs.

Anyone mess with that $90 YongGuo 35mm f/2 lens for Canon?

Reviews are kinda all over, some say its good for the price, some say it wont be sharp enough. Even a used Canon 35 is $250-$300.

In any case, instead of grabbing a 6D, may just grab an 80D and grab a 35. Thoughts?

Dont kid yourself into thinking the 80d will make you happy. It has the same exact crop factor as all the other canon crops and you'll have the same complaints

get the 6d and quit playing.
http://amzn.to/2nGUeYY

For sure don't get the YongGuo joint.

It will absolutely 100% be sharp enough for square instagram pictures but still... just dont bother.

Get the real deal just like them fits you post.

what focal length do you guy recommend for indoor portraits? finally going to shoot again lol. i just have my 50mm and 17-50. havent shot portraits since getting the 17-50

Went to the Philippines back in July and finally getting around to editing some photos... and I can't figure out if I like the color or b/w edit better. That's what I love about photography, you get to tell the story behind the photo. Your thoughts?

33161541544_a23047eb0a_c.jpg

33192118343_71298a065c_c.jpg

Color for sure but that is me. I still am not a fan of black and whites unless it is a true black and white film. I only do it if my white balance is totally jacked up. Like my last resort in saving a photo.

Most helpful topic ever. Reps all around.

The 45 autof foucs points vs the 11 on the 6D shoudnt matter too much then? I though id save some dough by grabbing a used 80D and the 35 (not necessarily the Yungguo).

^^^^^This hobby is one of those things where if you spend more, the performance won't be that much better but will still be the better bet. I am almost positive if you get the 80D, you will upgrade again and get another camera that will most likely be a full frame. Personally if I was you, I would never get the 80D. Those subpar crop lenses are just to close to getting the better crop lens like the 7D mark 2. And if you get that camera, you might as well get the 6D since you mostly likely won't need the burst mode features. The only reason why a 7D might work for you is cause you shoot mostly portraits and the crop would be better for you lens wise. That Yonguo is a good bang for your buck but a temporary lens at best. Everyone goes through it though. I have the Nifty Fifty and used it for 7 months and it's collecting dust now.

Temporary as in, id want better quality eventually?

what focal length do you guy recommend for indoor portraits? finally going to shoot again lol. i just have my 50mm and 17-50. havent shot portraits since getting the 17-50
Are you using a crop camera? I would say anything longer than a 50mm for indoor portrait, but it depends how many people will be in the picture. If you're shooting 1 person, a 50mm would suffice

what people are getting at basically, is that the 80d is a lateral move, you will have the same complaints/issues (outside of you are currently having about the look of your pics and that full frame is the 'real' upgrade and as such to spend money on ef-s/crop lenses would be a waste; but i'd add this, depending on what you shoot, both in terms of subject matter & the lenses you use, going to full 35mm frame |-especially to the previous generation 6d-|may not be the upgrade over current generation crop sensors folk are making it to be, and this might be even more true if you were to cop a mirrorless camera where speed boosters can come close to approximating the 35mm look...

the 2 major advantages of bigger sensors over smaller sensors theoretically are low light capability and (particularly shallow) depth of field (you can also include wider focal lengths here too if you're into wide angle lenses), and the gap between former is shrinking and the latter can, in some cases, be made up by using faster glass - which for most dslrs tends to be for full frame , so using these on a crop camera you end up not being able to use those lenses at their 'true' focal length, it is a matter of perspective as far as whether 35mm full frame is a worthwhile way to go for what you need...

the 80d will certainly have better af performance and while maybe not quite as good as a full frame cam it should be better low light capability than your current setup...but seeing what you shoot, again both in terms of subjects & lenses, how much does that factor for you? would you be better off with a 6d and improved technique/patience? or buying faster glass?

Hey guys I'm looking into getting an ND filter for my nikon.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Is it even worth getting?

Last edited:

It's just a necessary evil. As you shoot more, you find out more how your camera is inferior to specific things. I mean unless you stick to portraits and only that, you might not need an upgrade in all of your gear. But me personally, I like to shoot all things and I find out things that I can't do whether it be the camera body, lens, etc. All of it can be trial and error. I think the sad thing is, there is no one camera that can do it all nor one lens that can do it all as well. I shot a USF baseball game over the weekend and I found out my Mark 3 is just not up to par with other cameras. A buddy of mine had a Mark 4 and he got way more shots than I did just on the focus alone. It was so frustrating to try and shoot these things and get almost 80/20 split of getting things out of focus to in focus. I wouldn't say it wanted me to upgrade to the Mark 4 for that reason but I realized even my camera is not able to do all things.

I mean no one is going to convince you to tell you that the 80D but yourself. If you are a disciplined photographer to do only specific things, than that camera can be perfect for you. It's just a known thing though that you'll eventually upgrade anyways. I'll probably cave in on the next upgrade if they do a 5DSR and if they fix that auto focus.

Are you using a crop camera? I would say anything longer than a 50mm for indoor portrait, but it depends how many people will be in the picture. If you're shooting 1 person, a 50mm would suffice

Alright we will see what happens, but yes a crop sensor

Before and after on smoke bombs!!! I wanted to make it super moody. Used Lightroom only, no presets. Relied a lot on the tone curve as well as the HSL section.

Editing Moody Smoke Bomb Photos - Teach Me How to Lightroom - 027

Last edited:
its been awhile since i went to shoot, but heres some shots from today. feedback would be appreciated

Anyone got any opinions on the Canon 70-200 f/4 L? I know it's a cheaper lens of the 70-200 family but I found one for $400 brand new and wonder if it is worth the purchase. I think that is only $200 more than retail. I hear it is good bang for the buck but just not as fast and less bokeh than the f/2.8 version. I do like to shoot all things but I think I would use this for zoom in landscapes. I just hate to get this and then want to buy the f/2.8 version.

Anyone got any opinions on the Canon 70-200 f/4 L? I know it's a cheaper lens of the 70-200 family but I found one for $400 brand new and wonder if it is worth the purchase. I think that is only $200 more than retail. I hear it is good bang for the buck but just not as fast and less bokeh than the f/2.8 version. I do like to shoot all things but I think I would use this for zoom in landscapes. I just hate to get this and then want to buy the f/2.8 version.

its a great landscape lens and decent for portraits / sports.

super high value @ 400$

Just got a Nikon 50 1.8g used. Half price and it's barely been used.

I got fed up with my manual 50 - metering was okay but it was really hard to get sharp shots when wide open. The focus on this seems really sharp so should take nice portraits.

Back
Top Bottom