The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^

Good stuff man! I got out and did some astro tonight too. Wish I'd caught some light trails but no cars came through 

and the before:

^
Good stuff man! I got out and did some astro tonight too. Wish I'd caught some light trails but no cars came through 

and the before:

I had to stack 6 exposures for mine. I wanted to go deeper a bit but I was by myself and didn't want to get lit up by some coyotes or serial killers or something.

Beautiful!

What's your setup?

Last edited:
Fuji X Pro 2, this was with a Samyang 8mm fisheye. 30 seconds ad ISO 6400. Definitely would have turned out cleaner if I'd stacked exposures, this was a single shot. 

Nice! I'm considering pick up one of those Rokinon/Samyang lenses soon as well.

Last edited:
Self portrait

Shot @ 135mm f/2

Last edited:
Just got into photography but loving everything about it so far. Using Lightroom to post process.

Any critiques? 

Thank you!

Your compositions are good. Keep working and editing and check out YouTube if you have any questions or here. Keep shooting [emoji]128074[/emoji][emoji]127997[/emoji]

Just got into photography but loving everything about it so far. Using Lightroom to post process.

Any critiques? 

Thank you!
Last pic is my favorite. If your car pics had a little more lighting they'd look a lot better, especially with the blue car (Not saying they're not good already).

Overall for just getting into it you've got good stuff man!

Your compositions are good. Keep working and editing and check out YouTube if you have any questions or here. Keep shooting [emoji]128074[/emoji][emoji]127997[/emoji]
Much appreciated! Definitely something that I want to invest time/money/effort into.

Last pic is my favorite. If your car pics had a little more lighting they'd look a lot better, especially with the blue car (Not saying they're not good already).

Overall for just getting into it you've got good stuff man!
Thank you for the feedback! Do you mean lighting as in the entirety of the picture or a certain aspect? and is that something that I could fix on those photos by processing?

And I agree with the last one! I got underneath our local bridge and set down the camera on a rock to attempt a long exposure. Took more than a few tries but I think it was worth the effort haha.

Last edited:
What up everyone, haven't posted in a while but just wanted to share a recent photo. Took care of Mr. baldy over here was kind of an eye sore to me :lol:

As always ya'll stay killin it with the landscapes!! I enjoy seeing those, especially since I suck at them lol

Last edited:

Any critiques? 

Thank you!

Last one is dope, my personal favorite as well. If you bring out the high lights in the skyline photo and mess with the temperature you could probably get some more color out of the sky.

I suggest zooming out on the gtr, imo those TE37's look way larger than they're meant to be lol. Location looks dope, just try and face the car with the leading lines.

^
Focusing is one of the harder parts of shooting astro. Put it in manual focus, use the back screen to focus and zoom in on the focal point if your camera supports it. Pick a bright star and adjust your focus until it's as small as possible.

Also keep in mind the rule of 500 to get sharp shots. You don't want your shutter speed to exceed 500 / 35mm equiv. focal length, i.e. if you're shooting with a 12mm lens on a crop sensor, 500/18 = ~28 seconds max exposure to keep things sharp. If you go too long you'll get a little bit of star movement. Shoot wide open at whatever exposure time you calculate, then play around with your ISO until the exposure looks right.

Can you explain that 500 rule again?

I'm torn between 50mm and 85mm on a full frame.

Who doesn't like more bokeh with the compression from the 85?

I will be using the lens mostly for fashion, think instagram models.

In my mind, I'm thinking I'm just going to end up with both of them eventually.

Using the 85mm outdoors, and 50mm indoors.

Why not both? Both the 50/1.8 STM and 85/1.8 USM should be around $400 shipped via Canon Refurbished store when they are on sale. I enjoy both lenses on my 6D but I usually shoot with 40/2.8 STM the most because I prefer the wider focal length. BTW, did you get the Tamron 28-75/2.8?

100% 85mm

100%.

50mm STM is cheap af though so tbh you can get both in a pretty short amount of time. But i vote 85 first.

If you want to shoot models to complement the background, then I would go 50mm. If you are just a bokeh person or care little about your background, then get the 85mm. 50mm might be way more of a verse lens since you can technically get 85mm shots if you just come in tighter on your subject matter. If you are doing full body shots, then the 85mm is way better.

This is a 35mm vs 50mm vs 85mm. I would say this is where each lens has their expertise but of course you can shoot it in other ways. 35mm looks great shooting model to background shots. Any closer, and you'll see distortion. 50mm gets in tighter and has less distortion but of course doesn't have the compression of the 85mm. The 85mm just looks great shooting bust shots and background blur will look great. The downside is just getting little to nothing in the background.

timeline_0012.jpg

Admittedly I didn't really look at the features of the Gnarbox but couldn't you buy something like this for ≈1/8th the price? Then put the money you saved towards your SSD/HDD of choice.

Edit: Reading some Amazon reviews, it seems more than adequate for file transfer/backup.

"TL;DR : This small cheap device plus a phone or tablet will allow you to transfer files between an SD card, a hard drive, and your phone/tablet in pretty much any way you desire, all while completely off-grid. Just don't expect to use it to screen dailies to a producer via internal WiFi streaming from your USB storage. As a means of replacing a computer for nothing more than file transfer when weight savings are a priority, look no further.

*UPDATE: Using the FileHub to transfer RAW files to my phone I have been able to successfully open and edit them in Lightroom Mobile, even with finicky Panasonic .RW2 files. I have not yet found a way to edit the .MOV clips on my phone, but I'm not sure my iPhone could handle 4k editing anyway, so that's fine for what I am trying to do."
Great find, will def try this out.
For that Gnarbox why doesnt one just get an SD card converter and put the pics straight to your phone?
Pixel XL doesn't have a micro SD card reader. I've considered getting a device that has a SD card reader but I would want something that can handle larger size images well and also has a great screen. I used to use my Kindle 8.9 HDX when I was getting the pics off of my old eyeFi memory card (which I may also consider buying) and it was great.

I love buying new stuff, I'm a kid when it comes to gadgets and although I'm not rich, at certain prices I don't bat an eye. I like new tech/electronics

Back
Top Bottom