The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Btw thanks Fong for the pointers!...place wasn't as cold as we thought, or maybe it was our thick east coast skin but we found the weather to be perfect, we had a different climate each day, only thing I'm bummed about was not being able to photograph the Milky Way since at night it was always pretty cloudy, next time I come I'm gonna come with more friends and rent a big RV and do the whole camp Out experience...staying in Canmore was the best thing we did.

Enlight574.jpg

Btw thanks Fong for the pointers!...place wasn't as cold as we thought, or maybe it was our thick east coast skin but we found the weather to be perfect, we had a different climate each day, only thing I'm bummed about was not being able to photograph the Milky Way since at night it was always pretty cloudy, next time I come I'm gonna come with more friends and rent a big RV and do the whole camp Out experience...staying in Canmore was the best thing we did.

No doubt. I figured you wouldn't be as bothered by the weather. I didn't do any night shoots as well. Just didn't make sense for us to stay up that late and also wake up early the next day. My wife and I just sort of agreed to put full effort in the mornings instead. I stayed at Canmore as well. Good central area rather than actually staying in Banff which seemed more expensive but only a short drive from Canmore. Actually the idea at the time was to stay in Calgary and then drive in each day but glad we didn't do that. Calgary did seem to have no real spark compared to say SF which is where I am from. Granted it was a Monday when I checked it out but like resturants and stuff were closed or empty. Still had some pretty good Pho though.

Yeah we realized the major key to enjoying this trip is waking up before the sun is even up, we were on the road everyday before 6am...and that wasn't even early enough for Moraine as we had to park in the overflow lot and catch the shuttle....I gotta say the people of Banff lack some major common sense, we had a couple of experiences with locals that left us scratching our heads :lol:

Other than that I loved every second spent here, our AirBnb in canmore was amazing! The food in Canmore and Banff was great, specially the meat, burgers were A1

Oh I wouldn't wanna live in Calgary either. After seeing big cities with culture like LA, Seattle, Toronto, Tampa... Etc, there's nothing in Calgary that would attract people from all over the world if it weren't for Banff nearby.

If you guys are back next time, make sure to hit up lesser known places that also offer amazing views. A lot of people don't venture past Banff and that's the most popular area so it's usually busy most of the time.

Kananaskis has some great hikes/peak views and they're known for some of the best larch valleys. Jasper is a couple hours north of Banff but they have great waterfalls and decent hikes. Canmore actually has some scenic hikes as well. The three sisters mountains in Canmore are very popular for photographers as you can get some good shots with the reflections off of the surrounding lakes. Bow lake, Hector lake and peyto lake are also beautiful. Emerald lake is just across the border in BC but it's like a less busy moraine lake.

^^^^^Looks like I have to go back there. Would love to see the lake frozen.

Just curious......which color camera bag would you get below? Like a true weirdo, I can't decided which one I want. Just want to see what the consensus is.

alphahighresfrontBlkB_large.png
alphahighresfrontBB_large.png

alphahighresfrontF_large.png
alphahighresfrontC_large.png

^^^^ Here you go. https://langly.co/collections/camera-bags

I have the Multi Pack bag which is good for hauling tons of gear. The Alpha Pro is more of a bag that you carry like a camera body and like 2-3 lenses. What's funny is the bag looks great but function wise, I hear bad responses. For both bags, the tripod straps are just terrible and can't hold anything with a decent amount of weight. Also for the Alpha Pro, there is no quick access to getting your camera, so there is this constant taking off the bag and putting back on. It was a kickstarter project that I've followed since their inception. I back them and got a discount to get one of their bags.

I like those bags, they look very soft and comfortable.
The Simple Bag has most of my attention. I like slimmer lookin' bags

^ Nothing can compete with the bags from WNDRD, should check them out before investing !

highboltage ,
really lucky to live around such an awesome natural place, feel free to show us more of that sick playground !

Since we are on a mountain theme, I went hiking 3 or 4 weekends this summer in the French Alps, hoping to go back before it gets too cold to hike

37267466036_e472f46acf_c.jpg

37457502915_d71458476f_c.jpg

36605287884_dbb3b875f6_c.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/manvsovsov/

Awesome stuff the past few pages. Really need to make a trip out to Banff one of these days. Going to try to check out BC in a couple weeks.

+1 for the WANDRD bags. Haven’t touched my Billingham or my Incase since I got one. Easily holds my camera with lens, 3-4 more lenses, Mavic and tripod.

My holdfast sightseer held me down something serious out there...although I know is far out there budget wise.

Last shoot yesterday with the Tamron 90mm and I wish, the focusing was better. Idk if it is because it's a macro lens but it missed a bunch and acted confused at other times.

It caught colors very well tho. It's headed back to Amazon

SP-5.jpg
SP-29.jpg
SP-34.jpg

Can we discuss payment for a second.

I am an amateur photographer but I've been asked to shoot for people.

I don't know what to tell them or what's a good price or fair.

I've shot for some friends for instagram and she paid me $100 for the shoot.

Help?

Can we discuss payment for a second.

I am an amateur photographer but I've been asked to shoot for people.

I don't know what to tell them or what's a good price or fair.

I've shot for some friends for instagram and she paid me $100 for the shoot.

Help?

Starts with what you think you are worth.

My price now is $125/ 2hr and next year will probably double but will include prints.

You want to price yourself at a level where you will attract customers with your product (low) but also worth noting only your shoot time and you post processing time (high)

Did a friends shoot for her blog and just finished editing. Now she wants the originals. Like why? No, here's your shots, enjoy. that's it lol

Did a friends shoot for her blog and just finished editing. Now she wants the originals. Like why? No, here's your shots, enjoy. that's it lol

I remember when I started taking side jobs/doing favors for friends this used to happen all the time...annoyed me crazy...Now I just shoot RAW+JPEG. Ill give them the originals and whatever I edit/touch up as well.

When I do shoots I'll Wed out the bad shots and do bare minimum editing (exposure and contrast usually) and send those. Won't do anything else unless paid for Touch-ups or more

IMG_4832.jpg IMG_5053 copy.jpg

I saw a beginner photographer on craigslist charging $30 an hour.

And with you charging about $65 an hour I guess somewhere in-between that should be good?

Big day y'all!

I put in my letter of resignation to my database software engineering / consulting career of 6.5 years yesterday to pursue to my dreams with photography.

I have enough weddings lined up to exceed my current income for next year already with no sign of things even remotely slowing down.

I've been working my *** of for this the past 24 months.

I cant wait to finally have the time and more importantly mental head space available to me to pursue even more!!

Thank you all for the support. I've been watching the thread more than posting lately. The past 3-4 pages have been insane with all the travel shots.

Also i have the new canon 85mm 1.4 IS L on pre oder. cant wait to test it out and record a video about it.

Hope I like it enough to get rid of my 85mm 1.2L II.

Probably will.. i never even calibrated my 85 1.2 to my 5d mk IV :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom