The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Film in the Bay Area seems to be replenished at least but the prices are probably still on the high side. And I say probably cause I am sure it was cheaper years back but I only got into film a couple of years ago and only know film to be at their current price right now.

As far as developing, I will say that is where prices can differ from one to the other. I used a shop sort of in the hood area of Oakland but I find their pricing to be the best perhaps cause their rent is cheaper. Not sure. I haven't tried any online places but I prefer to just use local spots cause I can get my scans way faster.

Camera buying has been on a halt for me finally but the best way to buy stuff is estate sales or just Craiglist. Shops charge damn near E-Bay pricing plus tax and what not. Estate Sales to me have caught on the camera rage and are pricing higher but are still well under online re sale pricing. Last purchase I got was a Canon P rangefinder with 50 and 35mm lens for $75. They at least go for $200 just for the body only so that was a pretty decent deal.

Anyone ever buy used camera gear on Ebay from Japan? I know a lot of people do it but wasn't sure if I need to lookout for something so I don't get scammed. I know check buyer feedback and and what not but anything else? I haven't got anything off E-bay in years.

Anyone ever buy used camera gear on Ebay from Japan? I know a lot of people do it but wasn't sure if I need to lookout for something so I don't get scammed. I know check buyer feedback and and what not but anything else? I haven't got anything off E-bay in years.
Bought some stuff for my medium format cameras off ebay. Havent had any issues personally.

I bought a film camera from Japan 2 years ago and haven't had any issues with it. It was exactly as described, good packaging, and arrived much earlier than the estimated date.

Ok cool. Thanks for the feedback. Seems like Japan sellers gobbled up the used camera market on E-bay. I am looking to get a Canon EOS 1V which is pretty much the film equivalent to a Canon 5D. I saw one on Craigslist that was sitting for a while but it has since disappeared. I am pretty much going to use this as my "I don't want to have to manually focus" film camera since it has good autofocus and I can use all my EF lenses that I have. The ones coming from Japan at least look brand new.

13A54868-3046-40AF-A01C-7A9D52BFB30C.jpeg
AF5545CC-0861-4076-A90C-BC7E50981F11.jpeg
3D108318-C64F-4454-A13F-8224D148E5F4.jpeg
1D340BD2-3699-41B2-BEF0-E0C418EA51EE.jpeg
38CCA0BB-3A81-40AE-B4C6-7C16068A199E.jpeg

I have a love/hate for the X100V. I feel like it is a gateway camera to actually getting into film. I used to just bring it on vacations but now I bring a film camera and all the digital stuff I just shoot with my phone. But if course if you aren't into the film thing, the simulations are a great way to replicate it without the cost of developing.

If I were you, get a Moments Cinebloom filter for it and then it will help with fake blooms a long with using say the Cinestill 800 film recipe.

And get this Squarehood if you want to fork over the dough for it: https://squarehood.se/products/model-v

I have a love/hate for the X100V. I feel like it is a gateway camera to actually getting into film. I used to just bring it on vacations but now I bring a film camera and all the digital stuff I just shoot with my phone. But if course if you aren't into the film thing, the simulations are a great way to replicate it without the cost of developing.

If I were you, get a Moments Cinebloom filter for it and then it will help with fake blooms a long with using say the Cinestill 800 film recipe.

And get this Squarehood if you want to fork over the dough for it: https://squarehood.se/products/model-v

You think the square hood is better than the oem one from fujifilm?

Debating on selling my Sony gear and switch over to Fuji. I just want a lighter set up. Tired of lugging my 24-70 on trips.

E
You think the square hood is better than the oem one from fujifilm?
I mean look wise, Squarehood gives it the whole Leica vibe which is what a lot of people want. Function I have no clue if it is better. Since this is digital, you can always tell if you have flaring in your photo and you can correct it by just putting your hand over the lens before you shoot without a lens hood. But X100Vs are all about making your camera look cool with accessories. People get thumb grips too but I’ve never needed one personally.

Debating on selling my Sony gear and switch over to Fuji. I just want a lighter set up. Tired of lugging my 24-70 on trips.
What sony gear might that be? I've got an a7 myself. I almost exclusively use a 35mm fixed lens so I've thought about branching out

I assume you have the 24-70 G-Master? You thinking of getting like an XT-5 and a 16-55mm which is a 24-70mm equivalent? The Fuji is smaller but that is one of their bigger lenses. You do get different quality in the shots since you'd be shooting on an APC sensor and mostly with your bokeh. Fuji really shows their weight when you get their primes cause those are super tiny.

I assume you have the 24-70 G-Master? You thinking of getting like an XT-5 and a 16-55mm which is a 24-70mm equivalent? The Fuji is smaller but that is one of their bigger lenses. You do get different quality in the shots since you'd be shooting on an APC sensor and mostly with your bokeh. Fuji really shows their weight when you get their primes cause those are super tiny.

Nah I got the Sigma one. Yeah the ideal set up is a Fuji with a few primes. Frankly, I don’t care much for bokeh and the current APSC files I’ve seen are similar to a full frame.

Nah I got the Sigma one. Yeah the ideal set up is a Fuji with a few primes. Frankly, I don’t care much for bokeh and the current APSC files I’ve seen are similar to a full frame.
Things have definitely changed with photography. Crop frames are like totally fine now and even grain and file quality doesn't have to be as great anymore. Almost happy that I never went mirrorless and bought all new lenses.....but I do want an R5 still.

Things have definitely changed with photography. Crop frames are like totally fine now and even grain and file quality doesn't have to be as great anymore. Almost happy that I never went mirrorless and bought all new lenses.....but I do want an R5 still.

I made the switch to mirrorless… I must say the differences in autofocus are worth it. I went from a d850 to z9 though. I haven’t looked back. The lenses between the Z Mount and the F mount are also dramatically improved.

I bought a Ricoh GRII from Japan and everything was legit.

I made the switch to mirrorless… I must say the differences in autofocus are worth it. I went from a d850 to z9 though. I haven’t looked back. The lenses between the Z Mount and the F mount are also dramatically improved.
Yeah. Focus is definitely a major improvement. It’s far and few that I shoot that kind of shooting but when I do, I wish I had something more legit. But I do like how DSLR resale value has tanked. I have a spare 5D and a fisheye lens that I got for like $800. The only other lenses I want are the 100-400mm and 35mm prime. Then I have everything I want….but have to carry it all in like 3 bags. At this rate with where I am in life, these should be my setups for life.

Back
Top Bottom