The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Kinda craving to get a cheap film camera
any recommendations?
something super portable would be nice
Jump into a nikon fe , i got five of em . They go for about a hundred or so . A step above that is the f2 around 200ish. F mount lenses are extremely versatile and cheap for the most part. Get a prime 50mm lens starting out.

Do what this guy did, jump all the way in and get a plaubel makina 6x7

Or a rz67ii pro

Or a fuji gf670 :lol:
I know right. I did the same with with digital too. Got a Rebel as a beginner DSLR and instead of going full frame, I got another mid range DSLR before I finally got the full frame one. Granted I was also poor as heck so doing baby steps to a pro camera seemed logical.

Now I am 42 years old with a career. You’d think I’d learn with film camera but no. Had to do baby steps as well. The fun thing at least with all these film cameras is I can make money on almost all of them cause I got a “deal” on them. The Mamiya 7 was totally an impulse cause the local shop had a mint one with 80mm lens for $2500 when it should have went for $3500.

I know right. I did the same with with digital too. Got a Rebel as a beginner DSLR and instead of going full frame, I got another mid range DSLR before I finally got the full frame one. Granted I was also poor as heck so doing baby steps to a pro camera seemed logical.

Now I am 42 years old with a career. You’d think I’d learn with film camera but no. Had to do baby steps as well. The fun thing at least with all these film cameras is I can make money on almost all of them cause I got a “deal” on them. The Mamiya 7 was totally an impulse cause the local shop had a mint one with 80mm lens for $2500 when it should have went for $3500.
That is a hell of a deal . What is the shop in souther ca?

And as far as which medium to five into i started with film and just….stayed :lol: i wont switch over until they stop making film all together

I got it at a shop called Camera West (https://www.camerawest.com/). The owner here also owns Leica SF. Not sure how that’s possible unless Leica is like owning a McDonalds where it’s sort of independent from others but you share the name. They buy and sell used gear like KEH and just so happens they had someone sell a Mamiya 7. I just don’t get why they priced it so low even though I am sure they bought it off the seller for at least half what I got it for.

Got this canon AE-1 (and other junk) for free from a friend that found it during a job. Pretty great condition, even the battery still had juice. Burned a roll of expired film just to test it out and it's gucci.
1687349094903.png

1687349158495.png

1687349198465.png

1687349239637.png

I got it at a shop called Camera West (https://www.camerawest.com/). The owner here also owns Leica SF. Not sure how that’s possible unless Leica is like owning a McDonalds where it’s sort of independent from others but you share the name. They buy and sell used gear like KEH and just so happens they had someone sell a Mamiya 7. I just don’t get why they priced it so low even though I am sure they bought it off the seller for at least half what I got it for.
Well in the long run if it has issues, bill rogers is the guy to fix mamiya stuff. He’s on ig . I messaged him about my rb and he responds quickly. For a camera that pricy id sent it to him for a cla for a piece of mind.

Got this canon AE-1 (and other junk) for free from a friend that found it during a job. Pretty great condition, even the battery still had juice. Burned a roll of expired film just to test it out and it's gucci.
1687349094903.png

1687349158495.png

1687349198465.png

1687349239637.png
Bought one of those at the pawn shop and it doesn’t work. I tried all the tricks and it might just be broken. :smh:

Only issue for me is that it’s slightly crooked lol. I’ve spent hours looking at some of my pictures figuring it out if it was straight or not.
Yeah as far as that i didnt know which way to go as far as trying to align it from the building behind it or the car itself so i just did the car as best as i could

How much of a difference is there really when it comes to lenses? I've only ever gotten sony or samyang/rokinon. Wondering if anyone has any more experience or knowledge here before I think about making a move. Thanks in advance

1689782149103.png

How much of a difference is there really when it comes to lenses? I've only ever gotten sony or samyang/rokinon. Wondering if anyone has any more experience or knowledge here before I think about making a move. Thanks in advance

1689782149103.png
It really comes down to what kind of shooter you are and what do you need a lends to do. Not everyone needs the top of the line lenses but there are a few that do that want the ultimate performance in a lens so they can get the best photo for themselves or their clients. For me what I always want in a lens is good sharpness and good autofocus. I've never been one to like lenses that render images on the soft side. That is the very reason why I only have prime lenses and the one zoom lens I have rivals that of prime lenses. Autofocus is also important to me because I do like to shoot sport photos but for others, autofocus can be important in say portrait photography in low light or backlight. Again, so many variables to look into and it just depends on what kind of shooter you are.

Hey NT Fam. Need some advice. I’m debating between the Canon EOS R50 vs. Panasonic LUMIX G95. Which one would you guys choose?

I’m not a heavy photographer but I do want to elevate my pictures above my smartphone while still having something portable and easy to carry. This will mainly be my camera when I travel or go to car shows. I’ll be doing a Combo of still pix and some 4K shooting.

Back
Top Bottom