The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^I hear you. Winter has dumbed shooting abilities. I get lazy and just shoot whatever to get the job done. I have to try that extra layer of transparent color. It would be a nice accent on the right photos.

Off though cause shooting back in the days, I would have never thought to use the sharpening filter and now it has become one of the steps in my post processing. I think for web anyways (not sure how it would look on print), it is a vital tool even if photos are sharp off the bat. It just gives it that extra kick that makes photos look a little but better.

Originally Posted by DJ bana

Originally Posted by Mr Oizo

I haven't read much about the 5D so what would be some obvious advantages over going Nikon? Besides losing the rape prices of Nikon lenses. I just seem to prefer Nikon's layout of everything and their menus more.

There's some beautiful spots around here if you go out early enough to catch the sunlight. And yes that's me with the fro.
Morning sunrise is popping.
pimp.gif
so nice! i live close to the beach, we dont have meadows and pretty hills or anything like that.
but hm, i mean.. lenses are the main difference. there is a lot more variety with canon lenses, and also compatibility. the 5D Mark II is just a beast of a camera (imo)... i've used the d300 and d700, but i just wasn't too crazy about them. i had used a nikon film camera for a long time, but stuck to canon for digital. i prefer the userface of canon > nikon, but again.. that's just personal preference.

I'm gonna agree with Fong on the interface of Nikon being easier. It's one of the primary selling points for them. And that's coming from a Canon user. I used to shoot with a Nikon D40x, but now shoot with a Canon 1 DS Mark II. Although, my Canon 1DsII requires pressing two buttons to confirm almost anything. That's primarily because it's a professional body, and slight, accidental changes can be hazardous. However, Canon has the FF prosumer market covered. The D700 is an OUTSTANDING tool for sports and indoor photography with a lightning fast AF and a FF sensor that parallels the 5D2 up until about ISO128000 (which you'll probably NEVER need). The 5D2, however, has unparalleled image quality for the price and the ISO noise is almost t unrecognizable to the human eye. The 5Dc (5D classic, or 5D) is the middle ground. It has the insane ISO capabilities, and nearly identical AF system as the 5D2 at half the price. If you need lightning-fast AF, then you need the D700, or a Canon 1DsII (like mine
happy.gif
).

Oh yeah, and the prime market doesn't exist outside of Canon. If you NEED zooms, Nikon might be where you need to go.

Im looking for an extremely sharp lens for my t1i i can budget about $200 whats a good lens to go with for portraits/up close detail models etc. ?

Last minute Piece for a 3-piece portfolio I needed to get accepted to college. Any feedback from the Designers here? I'm a noob at this but want to get into it.

Term....great photos as well. Some of those stuff look like something you can find on gettyimages.

Santi....only thing I would suggest is to try to limit your self to 2 fonts family. One of the many flaws that people face with in design is type usage. Rule of thumb is to have no more then to....but usually that consists of something say in publishing uses like magazines (header (1 font), sub-head (2nd font), body text (3rd font)). Try to use the different weights of one font family instead. Like use a bold for one and lite for another part of that of the text.

And maybe I am slow, but I almost didn't know that was an animated sequence shot. Maybe if you changed it so the photos started at the top left and then go right. Or a better solution if you can is to shoot a sequence with a car right in front of you so we can get a better sense of motion when the car disappears when it is switching lanes. Personally, I am not too fond of multiple images in layouts. If you had one perfect vertical picture that captured the switching lanes thing, I think that would be better then 4 of them.

Oh..and props on the win on Fatlace. PM me you info. I got like 3 Fatlace stickers that are just sitting in my crib and I know I am never going to use them.

ive been wanting to buy new lenses for a while now i just dont know what to get. any suggestions? i have a nikon D5000 with the kit lens and 55-200mm zoom lens.

Termanology27 - I love the last six or seven shots you posted.  It looks like nobody even knew you were there. Amazing when artists capture real life!

Originally Posted by DREDAY0789

ive been wanting to buy new lenses for a while now i just dont know what to get. any suggestions? i have a nikon D5000 with the kit lens and 55-200mm zoom lens.

Budget? You NEED a 50mm f/1.8 (or f/1.4 if you can hack the cash.)

Santi, generally I'd agree with Fong-- it's usually two typefaces, three weights per page. However, Static Motion looks like it's a mark (as in logo), and may be appropriate here. I agree about the photo sequence, though. Also, because the histograms for those photos are so far left, there's a lot of black space. If you post the "assignment," Fong and I (and other designers) may be able to help a little bit more.

Thanks a lot Fong. Really appreciate the feedback. Just got back from orientation and dropped off my portfolio so hopefully everything goes well. I'll PM you my info then, haha. I'm a big time Fatlace fanboy.
laugh.gif
I was super stoked to see my pic up on the front page.

Small, spur of the moment thing with my wife from last weekend.  Sorry, no Nikon lens caps in this shoot.
wink.gif

^^^^^Dope Rolo.

about-1.jpg

Since it is raining cats and dogs today, I tried to just mess around and do that whole 3D thing. Honestly it is one of those kooky things just to do since it is hardly considered photography and I doubt it will work if you get the glasses to look at it. I'll have to do it more legitimately next time when I am out and about and see if I can make it look better.

And if you wondered how to do it:

dunksrnice - your shot of the rain drops are so nice... i was trying to do that a couple days ago but i couldn't pull it off...

if you don't mind me asking, what were you shooting with?

Quick question I know you guys recommended the d40 for me a few weeks ago but was just wondering

Canon Rebel XSi or Nikon d40?

Back
Top Bottom