The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Anyone have examples of their works blown up from Costco? I was thinking of doing some poster prints and canvas for the home an office

rocafella kidd wrote:
The wizard was a project that someone started here on niketalk.. basically we pass this little wizard around through niketalk members and see where it goes.. updates or photos will be posted here.. unfortunately i was the end to that project.. was just being lazy and never got around to sending it.. this year is a proactive year so i wanna do as much shooting as possible..

I actually came up with the idea, I took the photo, shared, passed it to an NT'er in NY he took his photo (at the Globe if I recall correctly), shared, and then he sent it to you... and that was it.  Be cool if it could get started again or even if it's with a different toy.   Funny thing, being the new year I was deleting older photos from my Flickr account and thought twice about the deleting the little witch pic, but finally did and was like "wish it had worked", delete.

Anyways, I uploaded it again to share and maybe someone wants to participate.

I've been really busy so lately the only photos I've taken are of my newborn.  But I caught up on the thread today and there is a lot of great photo, got me motivated.  A little late but here's a photo I did for the holidays.  Hope everyone had a Happy Holiday and amazing New Year by the way. 

ReMarqable23 wrote:
Cobra Kai wrote:
So, who's starting their 365 or 52weeks of photos today?

I started mine! I hope I can keep up with it.

Yeah, I can't do 365, specially the groups that request self-portrait daily.  Anyways, I'm giving the 52 weeks a go again, last year I stopped after 33 weeks, got busy once it got closer for little man to arrive.  But I was thinking, why don't we get back to doing assignment within this thread.  Maybe our own 52 weeks or even twice a month.  What do y'all say?
Oh, I also added a few of you (local) folks on Flickr today. 

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by melofan15

This thread inspired me to get into photography. Just got my D3100 yesterday
pimp.gif

Can anyone school me on how to achieve good bokeh? Maybe recommend some good lenses? Thanks in advance guys

Get the Nikon Nikon 50 mm - f/1.8 D-AF - Nikon F. Cheapest lens with decent bokeh but it's narrow as hell. If you have the money, you can get the Nikon 35mm 1.8G but I find that the bokeh is not as good. All up to you though.
thanks for the help, I'll look into both of those lenses

5325696781_250c8715fb_z.jpg

Should I put this as my 4 of 365?  It's blurry but I was driving and had to take the photo blindly and one-handed...

Here are 1,2, and 3 of 365 in order

5319164077_8f84233044_z.jpg

5319312541_8fe21f8e5f_z.jpg

5322734780_3b1fe0b438_z.jpg

Originally Posted by nwt

a few pictures from a recent trip i took, the majority of the photos are still in the process of being edited, but i figured uploading 3 early wouldnt hurt

5321535656_201e6d96fb_z.jpg

5320935793_6d117d777d_z.jpg

I really, really, really like these shots 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ReRetroMe

Alright everyone, i know this is the best place to ask, I have been shooting for quiet sometime now,
but ive always shot trial and error and i know what im doing,
but really cannot explain it that well
now ive been asked to teach an autistic kid,
so i need actual terms and things like that,
are there any good beginer books that give you basically an overview on shooting with DSLR's maybe something with pictures and tutorials stuff? maybe even something on pshop too.

thanks in advance. any help is greatly appreciated, i want to be able to help this kid out as much as possible since its something in his interest

dslr's for dummies lol

btw i shoot with a canon t2i right now

and a quick shot i messed around with earlier today
anyone?
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by bl1nk

Hey guys, so i've had my Nikon D7000 for about 3 weeks now and am very happy with my purchase. The other camera i was looking at before buying this Nikon was the Canon 60d.
I have not invested in lenses in either brand, only have the D7000's kit 18-105 lens and am borrowing someone's 50 1.8 lens so that isn't a problem.
What I'm pretty much asking for here is if i made the right choice in choosing the D7000? I mostly shoot stills but [might] look into getting more into video. I was wondering if in your guys' opinion i made the right choice in choosing the D7000 or if I should get the 60d instead. I have a month if i want to return the camera so i have about a week to do so if i make the choice. Do you guys thing the 60D is a better camera than the D7000? Thanks in advance.
cliffnote...

In your opinion do you think the Canon 60D is an overall better camera than the Nikon D7000?
It all comes down the to the user, some were born as Nikon users, some as Canons 
laugh.gif

The D7000 > 60D, and I'll tell you why

Video wise, the D7000 has auto focus during Video mode, the 60D doesn't.

D7000 has a higher fps than the 60D

D7000 has a 39 point AF system, 60D has 9

D7000 has ISO expandable to up to 25,000 which is ridiculous! you can practically shoot in the dark. while 60D goes up to 12,800

The D7000 now offers a 2,016 pixel RGB sensor, (color).. All canons still use black and white sensors, so the D7000 has the most advanced white balance. 

D7000 has a more tough built body than the 60D

D7000 has two memory card slots!

and with that said, guess what I got today
smile.gif

163147_10150109332221064_784281063_7505098_3033671_n.jpg

Alright everyone, i know this is the best place to ask, I have been shooting for quiet sometime now,
are there any good beginer books that give you basically an overview on shooting with DSLR's maybe something with pictures and tutorials stuff? maybe even something on pshop too.

thanks in advance. any help is greatly appreciated, i want to be able to help this kid out as much as possible since its something in his interest

dslr's for dummies lol

anyone?
embarassed.gif
What kind of terms?  You will learn some just by looking through this entire thread.  Google is also your friend.  I would first start off by teaching the kid about exposure, shutter speed, aperture, iso, etc.  Tell him about the rule of thirds and let him know that photography is all about working with light. I wouldn't worry too much about editing yet because that's another topic really.

4/365 ~ Griffith Observatory opened back in 1935 and has remained one of LA's most popular, if not most scenic attractions ever since. It's free to the public so if you haven't been, go. There's really no excuse especially since they recently renovated everything for you back in 2006. There's also a pretty fun hike starting from the bottom of the hill so you might be able to burn a few calories (not that you need to =P ) out of it, a win/win situation if I ever saw one.  

J PayCheck really sorry for ruining it man.. its a new year and i really wanna get things going. So if anybody wants it next let me know! pm me your address and well get things rollin!
Day 4

ReRetroMe

At school, they asked us to buy a whole bunch of photography books and honestly none of them were good. I probably learned more photography off reading blogs, experimenting and the internet than i did by reading books.

Originally Posted by desoIation1

dslr's for dummies lol

anyone?
embarassed.gif
What kind of terms?  You will learn some just by looking through this entire thread.  Google is also your friend.  I would first start off by teaching the kid about exposure, shutter speed, aperture, iso, etc.  Tell him about the rule of thirds and let him know that photography is all about working with light. I wouldn't worry too much about editing yet because that's another topic really.
I been shooting since late august/ early september. this is probably the hardest thing to grasp. i'm still learning.

By next september, I'm looking to boss up from my T2i to either a 60D or a 7D. Leaning towards the 60, based off price and i love the articulated lcd screen. I saw that on the Nikon D5000, but I just wanted to T2i more.

Originally Posted by desoIation1

dslr's for dummies lol

anyone?
embarassed.gif
The thing is this is all great for me im always in here reading and checking things out, but im not going to sit with him and go through this nt thread or look for places online to find beginer steps, i just want to have a book that we could go through and go over things and i would put in my .02 for every topic you know what i mean? 

^^^^^^Try even Youtube. There are tons of tutorials online vids now and best of all, someone else is teaching it. So just go and view the video with the kid together with your camera and just chime in if there are any questions.

Glad to see that this post is back in full effect. I been shooting for about a good 4 years but never really posted anything on here. I recently purchased a Rebel T2i for what I viewed as outstanding video capabilities.I used to shot with a Nikon D40 and a Minolta X-370. Photography has always been a hobby of mine and its actually what I am majoring in right now. Nonetheless I will be joining you all in this 365 photo endeavor and post some of my work periodically so I can get you all's honest opinion and who better than the NT fam!

Damn holiday breaK and the free time I had during these past two weeks.  I've been chilling at home for the past 2.5 weeks because my son had surgery and I stayed at home to take care of him.  Boredom got to me and I started playing with my old D40, then I realized I'm bored of this camera and needed something more advanced because I've been shooting with the D40 for 4+ years.  So decided to buy a D300 the other day....so here a couple pics from the walk to my kids' school to pick them up....

5327806423_ab78991a79_z.jpg

5328414550_86c8c36268_z.jpg

5327805617_e2b8d0e00e_z.jpg

My initial thoughts of the D300.....the colors, sharpness & shadows is 1000x better than the D40.  For example^^^, look at the suede of the right shoe....its like you can feel it just from the picture.
eek.gif

But there are so many different controls, thats its going to take me weeks to figure it all out since I gotta go back to work tomorrow.
mad.gif

^^^How come the depth of field and background color are different on all three shots on the last picture? If you were just holding down the shutter, everything should look the same.

Originally Posted by J PayCheck

rocafella kidd wrote:
The wizard was a project that someone started here on niketalk.. basically we pass this little wizard around through niketalk members and see where it goes.. updates or photos will be posted here.. unfortunately i was the end to that project.. was just being lazy and never got around to sending it.. this year is a proactive year so i wanna do as much shooting as possible..
I actually came up with the idea, I took the photo, shared, passed it to an NT'er in NY he took his photo (at the Globe if I recall correctly), shared, and then he sent it to you... and that was it.  Be cool if it could get started again or even if it's with a different toy.   Funny thing, being the new year I was deleting older photos from my Flickr account and thought twice about the deleting the little witch pic, but finally did and was like "wish it had worked", delete.

Anyways, I uploaded it again to share and maybe someone wants to participate.

I had it second...

5328466689_29f9678843_z.jpg

My cropping was horrible a year or so ago when we did this.. we need to re-do this project..

It might be easier if everyone buys the same toy. Something easy to get at wal-mart, then it wouldn't hold anyone up.

found a white foamboard around my house and just used white posterboard for the bottom..tried it out for some kicks i was trying to sell..

Finishing product...

Oh and to all that had some input on my question between the D7000 and 60D thanks alot, i really appreciate it. I have decided to stick with the D7000. I'm really happy with it so far and yeah like someone said in this thread i found out the 60D wouldnt be much of an "upgrade" I would get the 7D...if only i had the cash...

Back
Top Bottom