The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | State of Play Today | Death Stranding 2 | Silent Hill on PSN | Hell Divers | Stellar Blade | Rise of Ronin

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, and I hope it spurs Sony to offer a similar service.

That way I can pay a monthly fee for the games that sit in my backlog, rather than ala carte to have them sit in my backlog.

Yeah, I’m currently subscribed to Gamepass and I’ll say it’s great for people who like to check out different games or have plenty of time to complete several different games. Majority of the games on the service...I wouldn’t play. They’ve got some stuff that they showed at their conference that I’ll check out but it’s not as a great a service to me as others would say.

Like, I have a serious problem.

I mean, it isn't heroin, but I see myself making the same justifications in my mind as a junkie.

"After this one, I'm good for a few months. Just need this last one to take my mind off things. That IS a great deal..."

yep - and always waiting on the next thing. And then each new game is like a new high that only lasts for a handful of hours before you move on to the next game to get that hit again.

truthfully - I feel like it is some form of entrapment. If it weren’t for these aggressive digital sales, and the fact that I don’t have to put pants on and go to GameStop, I wouldn’t own 95% of what I have.

Unpopular opinion in here I'm sure. But Microsoft is winning right now. Y'all can say what you want but it is what it is. Yea the PS5 is selling more, but by gawd the value to purchase ratio is in M$ favor.

I think that argument will make more sense in a year's time once their 1st party titles start to pump out more games but from launch till now, I think it's an easy win for Sony's line up. Hit after Hit.
I'm actually interested to see how this all plays out. Gamepass as good as it is, is not a one sized fits all. Doesn't work for someone like me who doesn't have much time so I have to be picky.

I'm either playing an RPG or Adventure game with an arcade racer on the side. I don't want the pressure of having to complete the game I want in a short space of time to make it worth it for my monthly sub. 12 year old me on the other hand would've loved it.

Honestly though, now that they've opened the war chest to have 25 1st party studios and with gamepass and apparently more acquisitions coming, I'm interested to see how all this shakes out in terms of sales and other metrics. I would actually consider it a failure for MS if they don't take back America like the 360 days.

I see this argument going the way of Party Chat. I remember the Sony guys back in '05 saying "If I wanted to talk to a bunch of guys i'll just get on my phone". But then of course it came to Playstation and they loved it. Same with Achievements/Trophies. Just because you have gamepass doesn't mean you're FORCED to have to run through all the games, that's such an insane logic. It means, instead of shelling out $69 for the latest and greatest, you'll have it readily available when you're try to give it a try. It's all about choice. Who doesn't want that?

yep - and always waiting on the next thing. And then each new game is like a new high that only lasts for a handful of hours before you move on to the next game to get that hit again.

truthfully - I feel like it is some form of entrapment. If it weren’t for these aggressive digital sales, and the fact that I don’t have to put pants on and go to GameStop, I wouldn’t own 95% of what I have.

This sounds like a self control issues to me more than anything else. My life is way to busy to wait on the "latest and greatest" game. But it is cool as hell to see something I like and say, oh **** - its available on gamepass, let me go ahead and give it a try.

I think it's fair to say that MS is doing much more to engage it's consumers more than PS at the moment, but I'm not sure what they are exactly "winning" besides that.

PS5 is readily selling out because resellers are making money to due to its inventory issues & the other segment of buyers know it's the superior system to own, so they want to buy it.

But, I haven't logged on to my system in months (mostly due to life priorities) & there aren't many games that are enticing me to pick up the controller currently. :ohwell:

I think their success is making them complacent at times. :frown:

PO

Last edited:

I mean you get this with PlayStation and Nintendo also except you’re shelling out $60-$70 for each game. You got people in here who buy games and don’t even open them to try them out

i could see sony putting "40 dollar" games on a service day one, but not they're blockbusters

sonys mentality is basically "you want blockbuster games, they cost money, you want goty worthy games, they cost even more money"

ghost, lou2, death stranding, gow, spider-man, horizon, uncharted, bloodborne, etc... these are goty worthy games and they cost a lot of money

its one of the reasons i think sony is leading the charge on 70 dollar games, fans have a certain expectation when it comes to the "production values" of sony games and they have to be able to make those while selling a profitable amount - on a single platform

Last edited:
This sounds like a self control issues to me more than anything else. My life is way to busy to wait on the "latest and greatest" game. But it is cool as hell to see something I like and say, oh **** - its available on gamepass, let me go ahead and give it a try.

I would say it is 50/50. WFH def didn't help.

I am definitely moving away from it.

Unpopular opinion in here I'm sure. But Microsoft is winning right now. Y'all can say what you want but it is what it is. Yea the PS5 is selling more, but by gawd the value to purchase ratio is in M$ favor.

Winning what exactly? PS5 is already releasing generation defining games

Game pass is dope no question. Especially with them getting back 4 blood and the show and outriders. If that continues I’ll buy a Xbox.
I need enough games to justify spending that $500 just to get the system. I’ve seen the list of games already on game pass and that’s not enough for me. But If 3rd party games continue to be free just makes sense to have both consoles.

Last edited:
I see this argument going the way of Party Chat. I remember the Sony guys back in '05 saying "If I wanted to talk to a bunch of guys i'll just get on my phone". But then of course it came to Playstation and they loved it. Same with Achievements/Trophies. Just because you have gamepass doesn't mean you're FORCED to have to run through all the games, that's such an insane logic. It means, instead of shelling out $69 for the latest and greatest, you'll have it readily available when you're try to give it a try. It's all about choice. Who doesn't want that?

I'm not talking about trying to play all the games on the service. I'm talking about just 1 :lol:
If it's going to take me a few months to 100% or plat a RPG then I might as well have bought the game instead of paying a sub for it.
But this is just for me, for others who can take advantage of the library of games then yea it's a great service for them. No doubt about that.

It would be good if Sony had it as long as it doesn't affect their titles. If they have to start cutting budgets for their games or padding it with micro transactions to recoup money then it doesn't make sense for me. I would rather good expensive games that drop in price than mediocore games that can't improve.

Gamepass is like 3 or 4 years old now. MS needs to make the value proposition look better by delivering 1st party hits because you still need to buy those 3rd party games too or wait for them to either get cheaper or hit gamepass.

This is why I'm interested to see console sales when MS really settles into this gen to see how effective the Gamepass model is . We'll have a clearer picture then.

Xbox winning IMO will be delivering hits like Sony and taking back America like the 360 days.

jetpacunlimited jetpacunlimited bringing up Party Chat and Achievements again? Has it been 3 months already?

I think it's fair to say that MS is doing much more to engage it's consumers more than PS at the moment, but I'm not sure what they are exactly "winning" besides that.

PS5 is readily selling out because resellers are making money to due to its inventory issues & the other segment of buyers know it's the superior system to own, so they want to buy it.

But, I haven't logged on to my system in months (mostly due to life priorities) & there aren't many games that are enticing me to pick up the controller currently. :ohwell:

I think their success is making them complacent at times. :frown:

PO
Part of this may be due to your induction to the washed thread and you haven't realized it yet.

One more thing that a lot of people don’t talk talk when discussing Gamepass is pricing. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone pay retail for the subscriptions. Most people, myself included, got Gamepass through a deal i.e. buy 3 years of Live off of CDKeys for a discounted price and then pay $1 to convert all 3 years to Gamepass Ultimate. I’ll be curious to see if people are willing to pay $15 per month when those deals go away or even more when Xbox decides to bump that price.

Back
Top Bottom