The Official Wimbledon Thread vol.. Fed v. Rafa

aepps20

Supporter
Ok guys Wimbledon starts on Monday so who do you have?  Roger and Rafa both have beastly draws but I expect them to play each other in the finals.  Roger has Roddick, Djoker and Hewitt(who beat him recently) all in his half of the draw.  Rafa has Murray in his half of the draw. On the women's side Venus and Serena are on a collision course and with their usually beastly form on grass I see one of them winning the entire thing.  With that said, Serena has a potential difficult match with Sharapova in the 4th round but Sharapova hasn't been Sharapova since her shoulder surgery and Venus has a match with one of the Belgians looming.

My Picks:

Men:

Roger

Women:

Serena- It is too close to call between her and Venus but her mental toughness usually comes through on the big stages.

Wimbledon and the World Cup = a lot of very early mornings.
laugh.gif

Thank God. Something else on TV.

Fed has the tougher draw of the two. Hewitt just recently beat him on Sunday. Joker, Tsonga and Schiavone out early. I think Cilic makes a run.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Fed has the tougher draw of the two. Hewitt just recently beat him on Sunday. Joker, Tsonga and Schiavone out early. I think Cilic makes a run.

I'd have to agree. I really like both players, even though they're complete opposites in many ways. I just want to see Fed win another grand slam before he's done. He looks weaker and weaker every time... 
ohwell.gif

On the other hand.. Rafa is gonna dominate for years to come..
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Frank 7he T4nk

Federer tying Sampras!
smile.gif

Rafa for number 2!!!
happy.gif

On the real... I actually wanna see Roddick get his 2nd slam... especially after last year's final. I felt sorry for the guy.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Yeah, but Fed's also had cake-draws in other slams in the past... so I guess eventually it all balances out.  I'd like to see Murray make a good run...

I'm glad there's something to watch now that the NBA is over.

From the women's side, I think Maria makes a strong run here, but I'm rootin' for the Williams.

The action at SW19 starts today.
Some pre-tournament stuff...

20a32dd6f11d08886d9f8902f87196ab-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon-practice.jpg
446cf0b9beb62f700bd7176a5140b276-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon-practice.jpg
676dd237b294d0aed83d88f6758e8647-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon-practice.jpg
bbed7dd1876ff6eb05b3dd4d1dc8e800-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon-practice.jpg
37b2e1626dfe491736709f74b92e3a49-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon-practice.jpg
a73a763db95cab1bbe981f285a0a81bd-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon-practice.jpg
96a62255987082a5dff38f412525ace4-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon-practice.jpg
cab9b405873e145287da86f258f2fb65-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon-practice.jpg

Looks like Fed's sticking with his Vapor VI's again.

074f0697edb55f78b9df8dfd34fc1c5b-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon-practice.jpg

Looks like Federer will be done just in time for the Chile vs. Switzerland match.

eek.gif
  First Round Exit

EDIT: spoke too soon. still think he's going to lose though

Fed losing in the first round of Wimbledon is just too much to ask for. Oh well. From the first 2 sets alone, he definitely didn't deserve to win, but I guess Falla tightened up and was outta gas.  Going into the 5th set, there was no way he was gonna lose it.  

damn Frank, tell your boy Fed to shape up
laugh.gif

I'm glad he pulled out the W though... tournament would have suffered if he took a 1st round exit.

Looking at the draw, this has to be Andy Murray' best chance of going deep into the tournament although Rafa in the semi's is a bit of a stumbling block

However if he or Roger falls out somewhere along the way........

Need though to see a vast improvement in attitude from him, the ability is there, the mental toughness and ability is where its lacking at the moment

Great match with Djocovic a well and Laura Robson did ok too

Great first day, lets hope it continues!

Apparently Blake had a pretty big run in with Pam Shriver on court today after losing in straight sets and in his post match interview he said he's contemplating retirement.

And about Murray, imagine the kind of additional pressure that will be on him if England gets eliminated on Friday...

Basically, Pam Shriver was commentating right above and behind Blake...

I don't get those ESPN guys... Clearly the volume of Pam's commentary was distracting Blake... so keep it down! Instead she comments on his "rabbit ears" and Pat Mcenroe adds that Blake shouldn't be letting these things bother him. So its his fault for being able to hear her commentate? Its pretty ridiculous.

Pam has been a disrespectful jerk for years and Pat would've smacked Pam himself if she did that during a Roddick match.

Back
Top Bottom