The Real Reason New College Grads Can't Get Hired

I feel like my generation is always getting shots thrown at them with the job search. Recent grads need to step up in the workforce. 

http://business.time.com/2013/11/10/the-real-reason-new-college-grads-cant-get-hired/
 It’s because college kids today can’t do math, one line of reasoning goes. Or they don’t know science. Or they’re clueless about technology, aside from their myriad social-media profiles. These are all good theories, but the problem with the unemployability of these young adults goes way beyond a lack of STEM skills. As it turns out, they can’t even show up on time in a button-down shirt and organize a team project.

One thing that does appear to make a difference is internships, according to a Harris Interactive survey  of more than 2,000 college students and 1,000 hiring managers on behalf of textbook company Chegg: more than 80% of employers want new grads they hire to have completed a formal internship, but only 8% of students say interning in a field related to their major is something they spend a lot of time doing. Instead, the top extracurricular activities are hanging out with friends, working in an unrelated job and eating out.

Went to Drexel University when they had the Co-Op program (not sure if they still do).

The REAL work experience from it put me leaps and bounds ahead of other new grads when it came to job hunting.

A wide margin of managers also say today’s applicants can’t think critically and creatively, solve problems or write well.

This doesn't surprised me. But where does the blame lie? Couldn't it be said that our education system doesn't emphasis these things and instead fact and systems memorization takes precedence?

As much as academics go on about the lack of math and science skills, bosses are more concerned with organizational and interpersonal proficiency. The National Association of Colleges and Employers surveyed more than 200 employers about their top 10 priorities in new hires. Overwhelmingly, they want candidates who are team players, problem solvers and can plan, organize and prioritize their work. Technical and computer-related know-how placed much further down the list.

How do managers come to a conclusion about a potential hire's planning, organizing, and prioritizing abilities without seeing them in action?

The company says in a statement, “44% of respondents cited soft skills, such as communication, critical thinking, creativity and collaboration, as the area with the biggest gap.”

How do college age workforce potentials turn this around?

Entry level financial analyst position at my company: 3-5 years experience.

Lolwut

Seems like the only way in is those developmental programs

Last edited:
make yourself VALUABLE in da workplace and you'll have job opportunites....

This **** doesn't make any sense bruh.
-----------------------

But real **** best way to get a job is have a connect, some fields you need an impressive resume to get you in the door. But in my experience having that inside man (or woman) will put you in the position you want to be. Currently, I'm in a position I didn't go to college for, have no interest in past my day to day dealings, yet I'm in a field that'll allow me to get to where I wanna be 1-3 yrs down the road.

Ill say this, a lot of recent grads have a sense of entitemtent. I gave my friend a solid lead on a job, my man never applied.

When I graduated I put in a resume everyday, went in a gang of interviews. **** ain't easy, no one wants to hire people, it's expensive.

Plus today's kids somehow think its cool to act dumb, honestly the professional generation wants to be handed a job that doesn't require much work. I hear it everyday 'this is so hard' **** ain't hard, we pushing papers not slanging rocks, we ain't in the mines, we read for a living.

Sorry, this current generation is so entitled, so soft, nothing is ever our fault and everything is so hard. It's life, **** ain't easy.

Last edited:
Lets call him baby boomer bob

@am I hope all of them cry for a job and stay home so a guy like me who enjoys working can take there position

Last edited:

make yourself VALUABLE in da workplace and you'll have job opportunites....
This **** doesn't make any sense bruh.
But real **** best way to get a job is have a connect, some fields you need an impressive resume to get you in the door. But in my experience having that inside man (or woman) will put you in the position you want to be. Currently, I'm in a position I didn't go to college for, have no interest in past my day to day dealings, yet I'm in a field that'll allow me to get to where I wanna be 1-3 yrs down the road.
how does not making yourself more valuable in da job field to become more appealing to a potential employer not make any sense?

me for example, i decided i was done working in stores and wanted to bread, so i hulked up my driver's license into a full fledged CDL

and all da important endorsements, and now i'm SUPER indemand with good paying opportunities everywhere.

i have always wondered, do people REALLY type their work emails in "text message english"? I always see articles telling new grads to not do this but are people really that dumb in the first place?

Lets call him baby boomer bob

@am I hope all of them cry for a job and stay home so a guy like me who enjoys working can take there position

Man, if you want it and realize that you're in a lucky position to not have to work some hard physical labor job...if I could help I would be so damn glad to.

How do managers come to a conclusion about a potential hire's planning, organizing, and prioritizing abilities without seeing them in action?

Experience based questions like the panel cartoon posted below. Thing is, you don't have to have the specific experience that is being asked about, but your answers need to reflect your thought process, your awareness of details, your understanding of working together and keeping management informed. Sometimes it's just a matter of perspective. If you look at your life experiences from a different point of view you can come up with some critical lessons that you've learned over the years. If you don't help a hiring manager find that out about you, and think that they only judge you on your accomplishments, you're missing the bigger picture.

Stop blaming the baby boomer generation. Sounds like an excuse because people are getting jobs, people do still live that Anerican dream. Point fingers at yourself, there are jobs out there, just gotta be ambitious enough to go get them.

When that generation came of age they moved mountains, we can barely move off the couch.

Stop blaming the baby boomer generation. Sounds like an excuse because people are getting jobs, people do still live that Anerican dream. Point fingers at yourself, there are jobs out there, just gotta be ambitious enough to go get them.

When that generation came of age they moved mountains, we can barely move off the couch.
i think what people dont understand is that its not the baby boomers being greedy, its just that the supply of new workers in the workforce is at an all time high

Back
Top Bottom