The Real Reason New College Grads Can't Get Hired

I know a girl who put in 10 applications to state farm and on the 11th one she put on her application that she was white and they called her in for an interview so now she just puts that shes white on all her applications which i think is dumb but hey i guess it worked so why not huh........

Your friend is lying. Those insurance companies call anyone who has their resume up on Monster.com, Indeed, etc. for interviews regardless of race, experience, etc. Very sketchy; all they care about is getting you to pay to join them :lol: I got called for interviews for State Farm, Aflac, etc when I didn't even apply to them (I ignored them of course)

Yup, same here. If you've ever put your resume up on a job site, no matter the job, some insurance co has hit you up.

Sounds like a lie
maybe she put it where they ask you, you know in that particular section that they ask you about your race hmmmm im guessing thats where she may have put it :smh: have a seat \_ and stop tryna get NT cred clown. i have no reason to lie about something that was told to me on here

make yourself VALUABLE in da workplace and you'll have job opportunites....

I'm usually with u but you sound like a man living with his mom now.

There's not many if any positions you can't be replaced at. Our president is replaceable you don't think an accountant ain't?

The whole issue is getting in the door and the problem is that the recession showed companies how to make more with less workers simple as that.

Also if your inexperienced that means your looking for experience. Which means once you get that experience your likely to leave for a better job if not promoted from within. Sounds dumb but I've heard it from high ranking officials at my job on how managers hire.

End of the day, you gotta start from the bottom now a days after graduation oppose to when out parents where hired as managers and execs based off a degree.

Sounds like a lie
maybe she put it where they ask you, you know in that particular section that they ask you about your race hmmmm im guessing thats where she may have put it :smh: have a seat \_ and stop tryna get NT cred clown. i have no reason to lie about something that was told to me on here

This is an overly sensitive response for what that was, relax. Another reason youngin's have issues being hired.

I'm usually with u but you sound like a man living with his mom now.

There's not many if any positions you can't be replaced at. Our president is replaceable you don't think an accountant ain't?

The whole issue is getting in the door and the problem is that the recession showed companies how to make more with less workers simple as that.

Also if your inexperienced that means your looking for experience. Which means once you get that experience your likely to leave for a better job if not promoted from within. Sounds dumb but I've heard it from high ranking officials at my job on how managers hire.

End of the day, you gotta start from the bottom now a days after graduation oppose to when out parents where hired as managers and execs based off a degree.

WORD !!

Went to Drexel University when they had the Co-Op program (not sure if they still do).

The REAL work experience from it put me leaps and bounds ahead of other new grads when it came to job hunting.
My good friend did the same thing. Drexel engineering co-op. His job now is
eek.gif

The way everything is run in this country is due for an upgrade. How are tuition rates still rising when the value of a degree is declining, city/state/gov jobs are slowly dissapearing being replaced by private companies who offer a fraction of the money to do the same amount of work. Yet the government continues to back those in free enterprise and their greedy ways it's sickening.

Our public school system is ranked amongst the worst in the world, yet we tell people that you can't make it w/o college and leave them thousands of dollars in debt only to be fighting for the crumbs of a job..... meanwhile the top positions are being handed to those who are friends with the bosses or those who came from the most prestigious (Had the most money to attend the most expensive college) schools.

Of course there are many young people who do not have the slightest clue as to how to conduct themselves leading up to, during, and after an interview and have no idea on how to market their skills effectively. Yet, there are many others out there who do, and still cannot find decent employment.

I think the problem lies in our higher education system. Colleges and Universities are more worried about profits than education, and are not holding students accountable for their performance. College is becoming more and more like high school where grades don't matter too much and everyone graduates with the same degree. Too many students go to college because society tells them they have to (and employers fall for this as well), regardless of their ambitions or skills, and end up wasting four years getting by with average grades and racking up huge debts only to find out that there isn't much of a light at the end of the tunnel.

Education has to become more affordable and more demanding than it is now.
i agree with almost everything you say and would like to add part of the problem with universities IS the education students receive, mainly through gen ed credits. they are forced to sit through classes they are not interested, all because it "makes them well rounded," which is their definition, not mine or yours. if someone likes that class, they should be able to take it, but they should NOT be forced to sit through them for a graduation requirement. 

Last edited:
^ well said also these colleges have degrees for jobs that don't even exist anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

make yourself VALUABLE in da workplace and you'll have job opportunites....

This **** doesn't make any sense bruh.
[rule]

But real **** best way to get a job is have a connect, some fields you need an impressive resume to get you in the door. But in my experience having that inside man (or woman) will put you in the position you want to be. Currently, I'm in a position I didn't go to college for, have no interest in past my day to day dealings, yet I'm in a field that'll allow me to get to where I wanna be 1-3 yrs down the road.

how does not making yourself more valuable in da job field to become more appealing to a potential employer not make any sense?

me for example, i decided i was done working in stores and wanted to bread, so i hulked up my driver's license into a full fledged CDL

and all da important endorsements, and now i'm SUPER indemand with good paying opportunities everywhere.

You don't realize your statement marginalizes the fact that the majority of college grads are doing everything and more to make themselves valuable in the workplace. Unpaid internships, volunteer work, etc. etc. It's not as simple as getting a class A to drive 18 wheelers, I know cats who have done that to leverage themselves into 5 figure/ month salaries, but when you're talking about fields that require degrees it's different.

Stop blaming the baby boomer generation. Sounds like an excuse because people are getting jobs, people do still live that Anerican dream. Point fingers at yourself, there are jobs out there, just gotta be ambitious enough to go get them.

When that generation came of age they moved mountains, we can barely move off the couch.

I admire your drive and optimism, but you're failing to acknowledge the fact that the baby boomers shady loan tactics and "borrow today who cares about tomorrow" attitude is largely responsible for landing us in in our housing crisis and expanding our deficit beyond belief. You're also seem to be neglecting that we are currently living through the worst economy since the Great Depression and the disparity between the rich and the poor is the highest ever recorded. The "American Dream" is not about unchecked wealth, the "American Dream" is about a large and attainable middle class. People have grown selfish beyond belief and the baby boomers created their "dream" at the expense of the next generations "nightmare".

I admire your drive and optimism, but you're failing to acknowledge the fact that the baby boomers shady loan tactics and "borrow today who cares about tomorrow" attitude is largely responsible for landing us in in our housing crisis and expanding our deficit beyond belief. You're also seem to be neglecting that we are currently living through the worst economy since the Great Depression and the disparity between the rich and the poor is the highest ever recorded. The "American Dream" is not about unchecked wealth, the "American Dream" is about a large and attainable middle class. People have grown selfish beyond belief and the baby boomers created their "dream" at the expense of the next generations "nightmare".
+ infinite reps

This generation doesn't even need college or certain jobs, I'd say you can't go wrong with SE, anything else four year is pretty much useless these days.

QFT

This is the sole reason why my parentals can't understand why I don't have a solid job after graduating.

Last edited:

QFT

This is the sole reason why my parentals can't understand why I don't have a solid job after graduating.
This is not a reason but an effect of technology replacing human labor. We need to figure out what to do with ourselves before they invent robot physicians and fully automated mcdonalds

This is not a reason but an effect of technology replacing human labor. We need to figure out what to do with ourselves before they invent robot physicians and fully automated mcdonalds
Again ...maybe SE wasn't clear enough, software engineering degree.

:wow: are you a wizard bra!?!?
? What ? I have experience doing agricultural research in a lab and field setting, EEG work where I tested, experimented with and programmed the machine in presentation software language, I broke down foods down to nutrition levels, did work on impantable technology(EVEN MADE A PRODUCT) and now working on evolutionary research of fungal genes using databases and BioPython. Still cant find a job :rolleyes

If I'm doing something wrong PLEASE SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING

This generation doesn't even need college or certain jobs, I'd say you can't go wrong with SE, anything else four year is pretty much useless these days.
There are quite a few four year degrees that are useful and they're not software engineering. 

There are quite a few four year degrees that are useful and they're not software engineering. 

The safest Major is Engineering in general, not just software.

Engineers are constantly getting hired outside their realm of study. Because they solve problems the best, period.

Back
Top Bottom