The RPG Thread -> 2023 was a banner year for RPGs. What was your favorite?

What is your RPG of 2022?

• Tactics Ogre

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Horizon: Forbidden West

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Stranger of Paradise: FF Origins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gotham Knights

• Pokemon Acreus

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3

• Fire Emblem Warriors

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

• Other (Please note with a thread post and let us know!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
130 hours in on the new Yakuza Like a Dragon (LaD) game and still loving every second of it. There's so much content left to do. Actual fun content too.
Now that I'm a lot further in, I'd say this sequel's story is more centered around characters and their interactions than a crazy thrilling plot with a lot of twists. I guess that explains why I've seen a lot of comments about the story being weaker than the first Like a Dragon.

Even though I haven't finished the story yet, I think the dialogue and cutscenes are so expertly crafted that I actually enjoy the story more in LaD Infinite Wealth than the first LaD.
It's helped of course by top tier voice acting, especially since my favorite Japanese VA Takehito Koyas is in this game and he delivers a masterclass performance as usual. He's most known for his work in anime, such as voicing Dio in the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Toji in Jujutsu Kaisen, and Zeke in Attack on Titan.
Some people complain about the cutscenes being very long at times, but man I wish we had more of them.
Below is a beautiful cutscene of Yamai's backstory (voiced by Takehito Koyasu) in case you wanna get an idea. I'll put it in a spoiler because it's in the later stages of the story.

Moments like these really put this character-driven story above the first Like a Dragon's more plot-driven story imo, which I also greatly enjoyed.
Language is Japanese obviously, as a personal choice I would never in a million years consider a dub.

Last edited:
Hope he’s happy but I do wish we could have got at least one more FF or another JRPG from him and Sakaguchi.

GOAT composer :smokin

i just had a crazy thought but what if SE also makes advent children into a video game. maybe like a dlc

that’ll be crazy and give even a better closure to the story.

I really believe there will be some AC stuff in Rebirth for sure. I also believe they’re going to remaster Dirge of Cerberus, assuming it ties into the lore of FF7. I wouldn’t know because I never played it; not a big fan of Vincent.

Continuing on my old school JRPG trek after Legend of Dragoon, I am half-way through Wild ARMS and it reminded me of the Kickstarted spiritual successor game coming next year:

:nthat:

I really believe there will be some AC stuff in Rebirth for sure. I also believe they’re going to remaster Dirge of Cerberus, assuming it ties into the lore of FF7. I wouldn’t know because I never played it; not a big fan of Vincent.
same here. never got into Dirge. I still love Cloud overall but Vincent does came in 2nd when it comes to coolness. never liked Zack though.

130 hours in on the new Yakuza Like a Dragon (LaD) game and still loving every second of it. There's so much content left to do. Actual fun content too.
Now that I'm a lot further in, I'd say this sequel's story is more centered around characters and their interactions than a crazy thrilling plot with a lot of twists. I guess that explains why I've seen a lot of comments about the story being weaker than the first Like a Dragon.

Even though I haven't finished the story yet, I think the dialogue and cutscenes are so expertly crafted that I actually enjoy the story more in LaD Infinite Wealth than the first LaD.
It's helped of course by top tier voice acting, especially since my favorite Japanese VA Takehito Koyas is in this game and he delivers a masterclass performance as usual. He's most known for his work in anime, such as voicing Dio in the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure series, Toji in Jujutsu Kaisen, and Zeke in Attack on Titan.
Some people complain about the cutscenes being very long at times, but man I wish we had more of them.
Below is a beautiful cutscene of Yamai's backstory (voiced by Takehito Koyasu) in case you wanna get an idea. I'll put it in a spoiler because it's in the later stages of the story.

Moments like these really put this character-driven story above the first Like a Dragon's more plot-driven story imo, which I also greatly enjoyed.
Language is Japanese obviously, as a personal choice I would never in a million years consider a dub.

I need to start the first Like a Dragon this weekend

IMG_6391.jpeg

in the og ff7 who did yall take on a date for gold saucer? mine was aerith
I dated all. Aerith for the story progression and emotional attachment. Tifa because I love her for Cloud. and Barret for comedy.

Aerith was a disappointment since she is pretty much into Zack and nothing really came out of that date since Aerith died. atleast Tifa even if she was a childhood friend ended up with Cloud and developed a relationship later on. Barret though is.......oh poor Marlene.

If I recall correctly the game had a counter for interactions you performed with X character throughout the beginning of the game. After major events with characters emerging from Cloud after a boss or plotline development for instance.

The one who had the most would be your date. I know the shrina mission was a big deciding factor

Best Things I experienced playing OG FF7.....

Chocobo Racing and raising Chocobos.
Battle Arena
getting Yuffie and Vincent
finding and defeating the Weapons.
getting the Ultimate weapons for each character
performing all different Limit Breaks.

Between UO and P5 Tactica, it’s nice to see slight upgrades to the typical Strategy RPG formula.

Anyone listen to the Tetracast podcast by RPG Site?
Is it any good?

I’m a fan of Resonant Arc. Those cats are JRPG gurus. They revamped their content a few years and now focus on deep dives of JRPGs. I believe they’ve done FF6, FF8, Nier Automata, Tactics Ogre, and several others.

I’ll say it’s not for everyone though. They tend to do upwards of 10+ episodes on some of these guys and each episode can last a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom