The Story of Richard Jewell: Falsely Accused of the 96 Olympic Bombing

Synopsis: The short documents the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, when security guard Richard Jewell was accused of planting a bomb that killed two and injured 111. To add insult to injury, Jewell had actually discovered the bag holding the bomb and helped clear the area. Though his name was eventually cleared, Jewell was hounded by the media, and upon his death in 2007 the stigma still hadn't cleared.

ESPN's video player is pretty ****** :smh:

I stumbled across his story a few weeks ago while browsing Wikipedia. I was 6 when the Olympics came to Atlanta and I never knew this story. Crazy how he was framed. It also brings to mind the Boston Marathon bombing from last year where Redditors were falsely accusing people of being the bombers.

Last edited:
Yeah I remember this. So sad they painted him terribly as a domestic terrorist and he wasn't even guilty. And the wormhole goes deeper.....

Always sad seeing _________'s wife, etc. early on because it usually means they're no longer alive for the documentary.

The media ain't ****.

It's crazy how the AJC got off scot-free by saying he was a public figure. I took a media law and ethics class in college and that would've been an interesting case study to undertake. I'll probably be reading about this case all weekend.

Last edited:
The movie is gonna be
smokin.gif

Leo needs his Oscar.

Back
Top Bottom