The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

just wanted to share a couple of super cheap alternatives i've recently got

first up is the Seiko Solar, surprisingly nice tank-style watch in person
it's a quartz watch but Seiko solar quartz so you really just have to keep the face in some sort of light and it'll be powered up and the movements made in Japan iirc
seiko solar 1.jpg

it's a decent alternative to those who wants to see how a tank style watch works for their wrist (they tend to look bigger once on) and it's running for around $11 on Amazon
seiko v cartier.jpg

next one is the one I mentioned in the last page, the Timex Marlin
this watch is much better in person, the domed sapphire is very nice and creates this unique concaved look to the dial
it's handwound movement isn't the best but for the price and vintage look offered, it's hard to find an alternative for the price without going with something with a chinese name on the dial
timex marlin 1.jpg

the watch is definitely small at 34mm and looks even smaller because of the thinned lugs but if a 36mm OP works for you, I think you can make this work too though it might still take some getting used to
timex v rolex.jpg

for around ~$150, if you're wrist can accommodate such a size then it is a good entry-level to the watch world and experience hand wound watches (if you have the patience to spend 60 second a day to wind it)
the watch feels and looks more expensive that it really is and if Timex brings more vintage style watch where some have a history with and attach a hand-wound or even automatic movement in it (albeit some cheap chinese version) and they will make a killing
the Marlin actually sold out first time around and was reselling for double to triple retail so I wouldn't be surprised if Timex is looking on releasing something similar in the future, maybe with a bigger case?
went ahead and added a $10 milanese bracelet from amazon and feels like the watch cost a lot more that it really does and looks more vintage-y(?)
timex marlin 2.jpg

Considering the Marlin as a dressier option to my GMT. Plus the wife could wear it also.

Best online option that allows free returns?

here's my post about them a week or so ago, I am not sure if ebates is still the same percentage but I think timex return is 30days?

If you dig vintage watch and do not mind 34mm, the Timex Marlin is back in stock now: https://www.timex.com/marlin-34mm-hand-wound-leather-strap-watch/Marlin-34mm-Leather-Watch.html

it is handwound with a chinese movement and cheap strap but for the looks and actual handwound movement, it's not too bad

retail is $200 but sign up through their email to get 15% discount code and the cashback at ebates is at 13.5% which brings it to ~$147 (ships free and no tax ordering from CA)

ordered one to check it out since 36mm OP works for me

(pics below are not mine)
B89A7124_copy.jpg

B89A7150_copy.jpg

Timex-Marlin-New-Lizard-Leather.jpg

also a dead ringer to the GO senator sixties
db42437e-3ac1-11e6-979f-08d74eb7b24a.jpg

Good condition. No scuffs or blemishes anywhere. Normal light wear on the bracelet. Could be polished out easily, but some people are super anti-polish on rolexes so I haven’t done it yet.
you end up selling it? :nerd:

one of the cleanest daily watch for the buck and someone correct me but i believe they are more open to discounts on it because it's not exactly a "sports watch"

i've been itching for something and i've been looking at the 116234-0080 (silver face, baton index, fluted bezel with jubilee bracelet) but I am afraid to go to the AD because if they offer it for ~$6k, I might not be able to resist

i wish the rhodium dial comes with baton index, the 41mm does iirc

now if Rolex still offered the OP with a fluted bezel again then it's a no-brainer for me since i like the cleaner look of no-date

but if you think you're going to miss the date function, 116234 or 126334 are great options

I just contacted my AD on the 41mm rhodium stick jubilee for a friend. 8200 OTD my price, if you're interested.

Here’s that seiko on a brown strap. The lug width is definitely more than 22mm, maybe 23-24 as you can see the space.

80D815F2-6244-4B60-B585-7B2D9F9F4095.jpeg

appreciate the help, gap might be at least 2mm there so i'll check out some 24mm

I’m going to make a strap one of these days.

How do you go about doing that?

I bought a book once on how to make your own watch. Never got a chance to look through it. I imagine it’s one of those things where you just buy the parts and piece it together. Wonder if it’s possible to create your own movement at all. Also would be cool to learn how to make your own dials instead of just finding pieces on your own. Might be a hobby I try and get into once I’m older. Just wouldn’t have the time or patience to do it right now.

One of my coworkers and I ordered some horween leather from a company to make some straps. It took solong to arrive that he ended up finding new work and it’s been hard to connect. I’ve seen some pretty creative tutorials, I’ve even seen them DIY’d from old belts.

thanks, i was trying to measure it with a measuring tape but counting those tiny lines for the mm had me seeing double :lol:

55C3DAF2-B41A-4B0E-9B7A-F65F142226E2.png

Thinking about offering $13k and see what the counter is. Whatever they accept at, if I can convince them to do a cash deal and avoid the 12.5% fees I’ll feel like I got a steal. Or am I wrong and can find a better deal somewhere else?

Nvm...they said they get charged a flat $250. Their bottom line is $13,000 which I might still jump on.

Divers tend to not be super popular and IMO are a little clunky; that’s all opinion though. I would wait for a good deal on a 39mm royal oak dual time, they pop up here and there. The 39mm dual times wear just as well as a 40mm Rolex.

Back
Top Bottom