The Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums of the Decade (List Yours)

The Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums of the Decade. Maybe not our personal favorites but THE BEST. Please Comment and List your own top 10
Written by Calvin J. Stovall & Jeff Kinney

10. BE - Common

One of the greatest intro tracks ever is a nice way to set off your return to real hip-hop after your experimental phase. The bass line, synthesizer, the keys,the sample all topped off by one of the tightest flows Com has ever spit -everything fit perfectly. A lot of people say Kanye's production saved Com'scareer. There's no doubt that Kanye happened to be the perfect muse, but much like Nas showed us with Stillmatic, at the end of the day nothing can hold agreat lyricist down for too long. The game was overcrowded with "gangsta rap" like G-Unit and Dipset and BE was a breathe of fresh air. Arguably themost soulful album of the Decade. When I first heard "The Corner" I totally forgot about Electric Circus I hadn't listened to very much of hismaterial before BE. I was amazed at the pictures he painted of Chicago on "Chi-City" and "The Food". "It's Your World" is oneof those songs I can listen to everyday and it will never get old. All iller and no filler, every track serves a purpose and I can honestly enjoy listening tothe WHOLE album. Com's present was a true gift.

9.) The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem

Arguing with my mom over being able to listen to The MMLP was not the easiest battle, but luckily I ended up convincing her. Now that I look back the album didhave a lot of dark songs, with explicit comedic punchlines that probably could have turned any kid into a serial killer. With Dr. Dre production, features fromSnoop & Dido, and numerous co-signs from legends such as Rakim, it's hard to argue Em doesn't deserve his spot. "Stan" reminded us of anangry white Slick Rick. For every person he offended with homophobic slurs and disturbing imagery, he gained three more with his brilliant lyricism and sharpwit. This album solidified Em's spot in Hip-Hop and no matter how many dumb singles he puts out we will never forgot The Marshall Mathers LP.

8. Stillmatic - Nas

Nas was on his last leg at this point. Putting out two mediocre albums Nastradamus and I Am ("You Owe Me" almost made me cry.) Taking countless shotsfrom Jay-Z and Rocafella, he had to come hard or he'd be forgotten. "The Intro" let you know that Nasty Nas was back from the grave. And by thetime Ether dropped, the streets decide Nas won and the prophet was back. Returning to the production of Preemo and Large Professor who originally laid theclassic backdrop for Nasir's debut Illmatic and including a feature from the incomparable AZ gave the true fans that early 90's feel. If only we hadPete Rock and Q-Tip, ahh someday. But for now, I'll be happy with "One Mic" top 10 song of the decade without quesion. God's son wasresurrected when Stillmatic dropped and we were all thankful to have him back.

7. Speakerboxx/The Love Below - OutKast

I'm not gonna lie, when I first saw "Hey Ya" on Jam of the Week I though 3 Stacks had officially lost it. Little did I know he and Big Boi wereabout to put out one of the highest selling hip-hop albums of the decade (it's technically number one, but I don't agree that a double album shouldcount for double.) This one definitely took time to grow on me; I basically only listened to Big's half while my mom took Dre's to bump in the car. Butwhen I finally gave The Love Below a full listen a year or so later, I was mad at myself for sleeping on Hip-Hop's Prince. All respect to Big Boi'sside, but there is no argument as to which disk made this a classic. "Roses," "Hey Ya," and "Happy Valentine's Day," arethree of the catchiest songs of the entire decade and "A Life in the Day" is arguably the best display of pure lyricism in Andre's legendarycatalog. Plus, nobody can argue with the pink wigs and blouses when you have a diamond plaque to show for it.

6. The Minstrel Show - Little Brother

My freshman year of high school I stole this album from Walmart because I thought the cover was funny. After bumping it for two weeks straight and being blownaway by 9th Wonder's unique sampling style and Phonte's clever rhymes I had to go back and buy a copy. From the hilarious and much needed satire on thebuffoonish state of the rap game, to incredible guest appearances by Elzhi of Slum Village and DJ Jazzy Jeff, this is by far the most slept-on album of thedecade- and I still get heated every time someone refers to the classic "Lovin' It" as Lil Wayne's beat.

5. Late Registration - Kanye West

No one has followed up a classic as well as Kanye did in the summer of 05. There was no way he could capture the raw emotion, hunger and groundbreaking soundthat made College Dropout timeless, so he didn't try. He instead improved greatly as an emcee, recruited Jon Brion to help perfect his sound andcollaborated with everyone from Jamie Foxx to Cam'ron to make the next best thing. Like every 'Ye album, Late Registration has it's flaws- it tookhim until Graduation to figure out that the all the skits were unnecessary, as were throw-away tracks and recycled verses (see "Bring Me Down"). Butwhen it was all said and done, Kanye proved that his second best was still better than most other rappers' first.

4. The Black Album - Jay-Z

The "retirement" album. With production by The Neptunes, Kanye West, Just Blaze, Timbaland, Rick Rubin, & 9th Wonder how could you go wrong?Starting a trend of remixing whole albums (The Grey Album). Classic soul beats. Timeless club songs (PSA, Dirt off your Shoulder). Jay's legacy was at itsponnacle after this album. Selling out Madison Sqaure garden in 5 minutes. Fade to Black. "I'm supposed to be number one on everybody list, whathappens when I no longer exist." Well it turns out Jay would continue to exist but only for a little bit. I'm glad he came back but I still believethis will be his last great work.

3. Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor - Lupe Fiasco

When an incomplete copy of your debut album leaks online 3 and a half months early and you still have the Internet hailing you as the second coming of Nas,you're doing something right. The raw lyrics of "Theme Music to a Drive-by," "Trials and Tribulations," and "Real RecognizeReal" made rap nerds jizz themselves when the advance leaked. But Lupe's ability to re-work the album and replace those classics with new ones("The Cool," "The Instrumental," "Daydreamin'") proved that Lupe may be one of the greatest emcee's we've seen thusfar. Spitting revolution on "American Terrorist" and going bar for bar with Jay-Z on "Pressure" are nothing once you hear the last verse of"Hurt Me Soul." The poignant social commentary on songs like "He Say She Say" and "Kick Push II" put this album over the top andsolidify F&L as this generation's Illmatic.

2. The Blueprint - Jay-Z

This is the album that killed the game. Jay made every type of track you could imagine- I mean metaphors (Lyrical Exercise), storylines (Song Cry), deep #$%#(Momma Loves Me), club #$%# (Jigga That $#!%@), girl #$%# (Girls, Girls, Girls), world #$%# (Renegade)- and dumbed out on all of them. He rejuvenated soulsamples and Nasty Nas's career, introduced us to two of the greatest producers in the history of music (I shouldn't have to tell you who I'mtalking about), and did numbers despite dropping the same day as the towers. Jay's gift to hip-hop was so great that it ended up being a curse. For therest of the decade we had to suffer through a bunch of lesser emcees on a mission to do their best Jay-Z renditions-which resulted in a lot of awkward gangsterlove songs and weird conscious club cuts. But to have the best come through in his prime and show everyone what versatility was really about made thesubsequent imitations well worth it.

1. The College Dropout - Kanye West

Starting off with "All my people that's drug dealing just the to get by…" is not exactly what you'd expect from next great hope for"conscious rap" in the pink polo. But it just sounded too beautiful to criticize. Bernie Mac set-up the theme for the album of with hilarious skitsand Mr. West took it from there. I remember trying to rap the verses from "Through the Wire" with my mouth shut to get that authentic, wired shutsound. Anyone who's worked retail knows Ye's pain on "Spaceship". And making a song about Jesus into a #1 hit? Unheard of. Add a classic Hovverse, Talib and Common and club beat (which Ye actually held his weight on), and Mos Def and Freeway one of the hardest beats EVER and you've got thestuff that legends are made of. I still listen to the whole 12:41 minute journey of "Last Call" whenever I need to get motivated. So, since Kanyemade good on his promise to "Come back next year with the whole *+!%@@' game, I would like to propose a toast to the best Hip-Hop album of the Decade.I said "Toast, Motha****as!"

*Editor's note: Do not listen to CD, while debating your future college plans, it may sway your decision.

Honorable Mentions:

50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin
13 million sold world-wide. Dr. Dre production. Eminem Co-Sign. GGGGGG-Unit. Enough said.

Clipse - Lord Willin
The Thorton brothers brought back coke rap back with the help of what some would say was the hardest beat of the entire decade, "Grindin". From thesoulful horn loop on "Young Boy" to the trunk rattling "Gangsta Lean" this is the Neptune's best overall production job in the entirebody of work.

Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek - Reflection Eternal
Lot of Classic joints on this album. In my opinion, Talib's best release. Hi-Tek is one of the most underrated producers in the game. Too many quotables.Looking forward to the Re-Union in 2010.

Kanye West - Graduation
Didn't want to include 3 Ye joints in the top ten, but I could definitely understand why some would. A new sound was introduced to Hip-Hop.

Lil' Wayne - The Carter III
Hate if you want, but if "A Milli" isn't one of the hottest songs of the decade you must be a Martian.

Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens
Some may not be aware of Blu & Exile but this album was simply amazin'. Exile's soulful production and Blu's storytelling about #$%# we all gothrough impressed me enough to make the list. If you don't have this album, buy it immediately.

Madvillian - Madvilliany
MF Doom & Madlib. Most Unique. These two were the perfect match. Weird production with even weirder lyrics.

Q-Tip - The Renaissance
Although it was just released in 2008, it's Q-Tips best solo album and has was creatively eye-opening. Very reminiscent of the Tribe Days, with Tipimproving his lyrical content.

Look out for the BLOG, we're working on. This is just a start, more to come. Hip-Hop, Fashion, & Life. Looking for Writers. Thank you for reading.

This list was horrible.

Get Rich Or Die Tryin as a honorable mention?

That album was better then half the album listed up there. (Including The Black Album)

How the hell is Tha Carter III an honorable mention when Tha Carter I and Tha Carter II was way better?

Just my 2 cents, though..

Originally Posted by NEIGHB0RH00D

This list was horrible.

That album was better then half the album listed up there. (Including The Black Album)

How the hell is Tha Carter III an honorable mention when Tha Carter I and Tha Carter II was way better?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah & thats why the Carter 3 sold how many copies? Compared to the first 2?
roll.gif

Nd after reading through the list, i agree with most of them to be honest...Specially College Dropout being first
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RoOk

This list was horrible.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif

Nd after reading through the list, i agree with most of them to be honest...Specially College Dropout being first
pimp.gif

How stupid can you be? Sales doesnt mean anything when it comes to quality.
ISS is THAT way -------------------------->

This list was horrible.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif

pimp.gif

Sales don't mean anything when comes to quality? So the album sold records because how bad the quality was? Hmmm..Cant even imagine how badthe first 2 quality were!
laugh.gif

RoOk wrote:

NEIGHB0RH00D wrote:

This list was horrible.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif

pimp.gif

Sales don't mean anything when comes to quality? So the album sold records because how bad the quality was? Hmmm..Cant even imagine how bad the first 2 quality were!
laugh.gif

I swear you'er from ISS because you're just as stupid as the members over there
roll.gif
roll.gif

Wayne sold how much the Carter III sold only because of the hype you idiot. he dropped mixtapes after mixtapes (and was on many guest appearance.) which gothim the hype.

And besides, Carter III was some %$*! to Carter I and Carter II. Again, ISS is THAT way ---------------->

RoOk wrote:

NEIGHB0RH00D wrote:

This list was horrible.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif

pimp.gif

Sales don't mean anything when comes to quality? So the album sold records because how bad the quality was? Hmmm..Cant even imagine how bad the first 2 quality were!
laugh.gif

I swear you'er from ISS because you're just as stupid as the members over there
roll.gif
roll.gif

Wayne sold how much the Carter III sold only because of the hype you idiot. he dropped mixtapes after mixtapes (and was on many guest appearance.) which got him the hype.

And besides, Carter III was some %$*! to Carter I and Carter II. Again, ISS is THAT way ---------------->
Ohh Really? ONLY because the hype huh? How many songs on the Carter 3 were hits? Did any songs off his first 2 albums get nominated for 2...Waiteven One Grammy? Huh? Now ill admit IMO the Carter 2 was arguably his best work don't get me wrong, but for you to say Carter 3 shouldn't even beHonorable mentioned is a little absurd. Now you done with fam cuz it'll only get worse
laugh.gif

So if Tha Carter II was his best work, then how come it didn't get an honorable mention but Tha carter III did?

I disagree with the list cause i believe the BLUEPRINT should be #1 on every list, but every album mentioned were good albums.

*Albums, not articles. Was running on no sleep after writing it. My bad yall

I personally prefer Carter II over III but like I said it's not about favorites. I wanted to have a balanced list and put albums that had a big impact. Andyes we all know album sales =/= Quality but it does mean something. You're doing something right if you sold 3 mil.

10. Madvillainy-MF Doom
9. Come Home With Me-Cam'Ron
8. Slaughterhouse-Slaughterhouse
7. OB4CL2-Raekwon
6. Man On The Moon-Kid Cudi
5. Purple Haze-Cam'Ron
4. Marshall Mathers LP-Eminem
3. Black Album-Jay Z
2. The Blueprint-Jay Z
1.Supreme Clientele-Ghostface Killah

Im 15 and I did this list straight of my dome in less than 2 mins so my ilsr is
pimp.gif
,imo.

Originally Posted by New Wu

10. Madvillainy-MF Doom
7. OB4CL2-Raekwon
5. Purple Haze-Cam'Ron
3. Black Album-Jay Z
2. The Blueprint-Jay Z

pimp.gif
,imo.
Kid Cudi, top 10 ?!?!?!?! stay in school kid
roll.gif

Originally Posted by gambit215

10. Madvillainy-MF Doom
7. OB4CL2-Raekwon
5. Purple Haze-Cam'Ron
3. Black Album-Jay Z
2. The Blueprint-Jay Z

pimp.gif
,imo.
Kid Cudi, top 10 ?!?!?!?! stay in school kid
roll.gif

frown.gif

I liked The Mouse and the Mask better than madvilliany, which is not to put it down in anyway. Both are
pimp.gif

10. Madvillainy-MF Doom
7. OB4CL2-Raekwon
5. Purple Haze-Cam'Ron
3. Black Album-Jay Z
2. The Blueprint-Jay Z

pimp.gif
,imo.

Not bad, Cudi's album was dope but I wouldn't categorize it as Hip-Hop and hasn't had a chance to stand the test of time yet either.

10. College Dropout - Kanye West
9. The Eminem Show - Eminem
8. In Search Of... - NERD
7. The Black Album - Jay-Z
6. Food & Liquor - Lupe Fiasco
5. Supreme Clientele - Ghost
4. Lord Willin - Clipse
3. Get Rich Or Die Tryin - 50 Cent
2. The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem
1. The Blueprint - Jay-Z

No Order:
Carter 1