The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Graham (Hull) finally breaking that drought..........against his old club (Swansea)...

BelatedKaleidoscopicLarva.gif

Last edited:
Any Liga MX fans? Just watched the Leon vs Santos game off of my dvr. Leon won 5-3 so it looks like they face Club America in the final... Should be a good match up....

I think Leon will take it. They are a stronger offensive team.
Haven't really seen America play that much but the glimpses I had , I wasn't impressed.
As a Chivas supporter I hope Leon takes it.

Chelsea's Samuel Eto'o will head to Major League Soccer at end of season
• Cameroon striker set for move to US when contract expires
• Los Angeles Galaxy and DC United are potential destinations
Share 117

inShare
Email
Dominic Fifield

The Guardian, Monday 9 December 2013 17.45 EST
Stoke City's English defender Ryan Shawc
Chelsea's Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o swapped Anzhi Makhachkala for Stamford Bridge in August for a cut-price £5m. Photograph: Lindsey Parnaby/AFP/Getty Images
Samuel Eto'o's stint in the Premier League is set to be limited to a solitary season, with the veteran Cameroon forward expected to move to Major League Soccer once his contract at Chelsea expires next summer.

The former Barcelona and Internazionale forward, a three-times European Cup winner, swapped Anzhi Makhachkala for Stamford Bridge in August for a cut-price £5m, with the Russian club conducting a fire-sale as they sought to restructure financially. Eto'o had worked under José Mourinho at San Siro and always appeared to be a stop-gap signing following Chelsea's failure to secure Wayne Rooney's release from Manchester United.

Chelsea do not anticipate signing another forward in January despite Mourinho's frustration, expressed in the wake of Saturday's defeat at Stoke City, that Eto'o, Fernando Torres and Demba Ba have only four league goals between them this season. No forward has a league goal away from Stamford Bridge this calendar year. With financial fair play rules to consider and the availability of elite players in January scarce, Mourinho and the club's recruitment department will address the need to strengthen their forward ranks in the summer.

They will welcome back Romelu Lukaku to the fray following his season's loan at Everton but Eto'o, who has scored twice in nine Premier League appearances, is expected to open pre-contract talks with MLS clubs next month before departing for the United States at the end of the campaign.

He has shown flashes of form, having taken time to adjust following his spell in the Russian league, but, like Torres and Ba, has failed to provide the consistent attacking edge in a Chelsea team brimming with creative players.

Los Angeles Galaxy, DC United and Club Deportivo Chivas USA are potential destinations. Seattle Sounders and Chicago Fire also likely to express interest. The four-times African player of the year had been heavily linked with FC Toronto, coached by the former Blackburn and Queens Park Rangers defender Ryan Nelsen, but is thought to favour a move to the US rather than Canada.

Chelsea continue to monitor Rooney's contractual situation at Old Trafford – the England forward's deal expires in the summer of 2015 – as they consider their long-term options to bolster their forward line. There is long-standing interest in Monaco's Radamel Falcao, though the 27-year-old could potentially be priced even out of their range.

As it is, Mourinho anticipates working with his trio of forwards for the remainder of this campaign before seeking fresh blood next summer, with Ba, who had been available for loan in August, also expected to leave.

"At the end of the season we will be in better condition to analyse our squad, to analyse the market and, normally, make a couple of changes to improve the team for next season," said Mourinho, "but this season, we are ready to go to the end with the same people."

I don't see Barca selling him but I wouldn't be surprised if the loan was extended.

Not too long ago, some Barca youngsters were talked about
A new vid of Seung Woo Lee

View media item 687683
Mandela shirts could lead to discipline

Didier Drogba and Emmanuel Eboue will appear before the Turkish Football Federation's disciplinary committee after revealing shirts with tribute messages to Nelson Mandela.

A federation rule prohibits players from displaying slogans or political messages on their shirts.

After Galatasaray's win on Friday, Drogba revealed a shirt with the slogan "Thank you Madiba," while Eboue's read "Rest in peace, Nelson Mandela." Both players are from the Ivory Coast.
Mandela, the former South Africa president, had died a day earlier.

Suat Kilic, the Turkish government's sports minister, called on the federation to review its decision against the two star players.
"I don't find it a healthy choice in terms of Turkey's image abroad and the two footballers' (freedom of) expression," he said, according to AFP.

The TFF defended its action by saying Drogba and Eboue failed to receive permission to wear the shirts.
Earlier this month, the federation fined Fethiyespor players for wearing shirts honouring Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey.

Scumbag move, but at least they were fair about it by disciplining the Ataturk shirts as well

I would expect them to fine the players maybe 1 euro or something, just to stick within regulation but still pay respect.

How's it a "scumbag move" if they fined players for wearing Ataturk shirts :lol:

Turkey is pretty politically polarized and clearly want to separate any politics from sports. I'm sure the rule was made to apply more to their domestic politics than foreign imports, but you can't make exceptions. I doubt the fines will even be that serous.

United should go after Joao Moutinho. Get rid of Kagawa in the window.

I think he'd be a perfect fit.

BTW, Wallpaper requests anyone? My cuz said hes been working on National teams. But if ya'll have some club ideas for a wallpaper I'll push it forward.

Last edited:
United should go after Joao Moutinho. Get rid of Kagawa in the window.

I think he'd be a perfect fit.

BTW, Wallpaper requests anyone? My cuz said hes been working on National teams. But if ya'll have some club ideas for a wallpaper I'll push it forward.

Would love Moutinho at United, But don't think Monaco would sell, They don't need the money to sell, The only way that woould work is if he forced the move himself.

Regarding Wallpapers, Id love an Atletico wallpaper :smokin

Last edited:
Would love Moutinho at United, But don't think Monaco would sell, They don't need the money to sell, The only way that woould work is if he forced the move himself.

Regarding Wallpapers, Id love an Atletico wallpaper :smokin

Yea, I don't know if they'd sell Mou.

With atletico? Madrid?

Juve @ Gala seems to be the main event

And the second most intriguing imo is Leverkusen at Soceidad

Last edited:
Barca named the squad for today's CL against Celtic - Pinto, Olazábal, Montoya, Piqué, Puyol, Xavi, Pedro, Iniesta, Alexis, Neymar Jr, Mascherano, Bartra, Sergio, Alex Song, Jordi Alba, Tello, Adriano, Sergi Roberto, Adama, & Dongou.

Tata seems to like the young forward Adama. I hope Tello gets some time on the pitch today. I guess Cesc isn't playing today.

I think the Bayern vs Man City game is still an interesting one from a talent standpoint on both sides. Man City should want to avenge the beating they took at the hands of Die Roten last time around.

Here is the schedule for this week's CL & Europa League games. All times are Eastern Standard U.S.

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Tuesday, December 10:

Manchester United vs Shakhtar Donetsk, 2:45pm, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2Go
Bayern Munich vs Manchester City, 2:45pm, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2Go
Galatasaray vs Juventus, 2:45pm, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2Go
Benfica vs Paris Saint-Germain, 2:45pm, FSN and FOX Soccer 2Go
Copenhagen vs Real Madrid, 2:45pm, FOX Soccer 2Go
Viktoria Plzen vs CSKA Moscow, 2:45pm, FOX Soccer 2Go
Olympiacos vs Anderlecht, 2:45pm, FOX Soccer 2Go
Real Sociedad vs Bayer Leverkusen, 2:45pm, FOX Soccer 2Go

Wednesday, December 11:

Napoli vs Arsenal, 2:45pm, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2Go
Chelsea vs Steaua Bucharest, 2:45pm, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2Go
AC Milan vs Ajax, 2:45pm, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2Go
Barcelona vs Celtic, 2:45pm, FSN and FOX Soccer 2Go
Schalke vs Basel, 2:45pm, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2Go
Atletico Madrid vs Porto, 2:45pm, FOX Soccer 2Go
Marseille vs Borussia Dortmund, 2:45pm, FOX Soccer 2Go
Austria Vienna vs Zenit St Petersburg, 2:45pm, FOX Soccer 2Go

UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE

Thursday, December 12:

St Gallen vs Swansea City, 12:30pm, FOX Sports 1 and FOX Soccer 2Go
Maribor vs Wigan, 1pm, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2Go
PSV Eindhoven vs Chornomorets, 1pm, ESPN3.com, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2Go
Valencia vs Kuban, 1pm, ESPN Deportes, WatchESPN.com and FOX Soccer 2Go
Macabi Tel-Aviv vs Bordeaux, 1pm, FOX Soccer 2Go
Eintracht Frankfurt vs APOEL, 1pm, ESPN3.com and FOX Soccer 2Go
Fiorentina vs Dnipro, 1pm, ESPN3.com and FOX Soccer 2Go
Zulte Waregem vs. Rubin Kazan, 1pm, ESPN3.com
Tottenham vs Anji, 3pm, FOX Sports 1, ESPN3.com and FOX Soccer 2Go
Lazio vs Trabzonspor, 3pm, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Soccer 2Go
Vitoria SC vs Olympique Lyon, 3pm, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2Go
Real Betis vs Rijeka, 3pm, ESPN3.com and FOX Soccer 2Go
PAOK vs AZ Alkmaar, 3pm, FOX Soccer 2Go
Macabi Haifa vs Shakhter, 3pm, FOX Soccer 2Go
Guimares vs Lyon, 3pm, FOX Soccer 2Go
Dynamo Kiev vs Rapid Vienna, 3pm, ESPN3.com
Freiburg vs Sevilla, 3pm, ESPN Deportes and WatchESPN.com

I see Bayern bashing us in today. Hopefully Silva gets some time in Nasri's place, but I really don't see City getting the result today.

My-T.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom