The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Good start to the season for Chelsea. Great first half from us, second half the quality dipped though. Hazard looked good today, KDB and Oscar put in real work though :pimp:

randomly caught a NY Cosmos vs Barca match from 1984 on tv

Cosmos won 5-2 :lol:

Pretty cool to watch Maradona for the first time in a match instead of just youtube highlights. Dude must have had an off game, but I can never in my life imagine Messi playing a match against the NYRBs and not flat out dominating.

Apparently Barca had a rep for flopping even in 1984 according to the commentators. Dudes were still throwing themselves on the floor even 30 years ago :smh:

They also surprisingly had a reputation for being a tough, hard hitting side that's was known to get into brawls.

It was cool watching a match with 2 American broadcasters and no blatant homerism or stupid jock that needs his British lead to carry him.

The pitch was atrocious btw, flooded like crazy. The Cosmos looked a lot more comfortable playing on a crappy field than Barca did :lol:

Holy S***. Porto just scored a goal and one of our players tried to celebrate by getting the balll and the opposing team's GK pushed and head-butted him, straight red card.
laugh.gif

So glad football is back.
Bizarre.

1:30

Heh.

iW3vDzzL0fQ5g.gif

Last edited:
Via the BBC

Everton have flatly rejected a £28m joint bid from Manchester United for Belgium midfielder Marouane Fellaini and England defender Leighton Baines.

The Premier League champions offered £16m for Fellaini, whose £23.5m contract release clause expired at the end of July.

United offered £12m bid for left-back Baines in June but have come back with the same bid.

More to follow.

:lol: I had to double check the time zone as well. Do they have Mondays off or something?
Everytime i go to spain im amazed at how relaxed everyone is.. seemed like no one really knew what a days work was.. (prolly reason the country is in such economic crisis).. again though im comparing this to the american work rate. When asking a bunch of locals, i was told americans dont know how to enjoy life..spend to much time worried about financial stature.. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed that lifestyle lol

Last edited:
no way that rumor is true

It's not from the BBC's rumor section (where they round up all the BS the other media outlets put out) its an actual published article nothing "rumor" about it.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23753129

Not only is Moyes going to sign the two players everyone in the world knew he was going to go after once he got the United job, he's going to look to lowball and try and d*ck over his former club with offer he would have found insulting if he were still manager there.

1m pound more than Fellaini was bought for when he was unproven and brought to England and then they aren't even going to try and offer a cent more for Baines?

You stay classy David Moyes :lol:

Last edited:
Well the saying in Europe goes "Americans Live to work, while Europeans work to live". At least that's what I've heard when I lived in Italy and what they say in Portugal. (maybe more of a Southern European type of thing)

When I was visiting friends in London before, I sat down and had an intense conversation with my friends older brother who worked in Finance, smart dude. We talked about American politics, money, etc. Then the conversation shifted towards my Portuguese heritage and family who still lived there (this was in the heart of the financial crisis). He said he loved Portugal, he'd visit on holiday occasionally. I explained to him how dissaponted I was with Portugal's economy and how the state of Southern Europe was in jeopardy to break away from the E.U. (Bunch of jibber-jabber).

The dude looked me in the eye and was like "Listen, us Englishmen slave away a whole year in the dark, gloom, and rain just so we can enjoy some good wine for a week or two in Southern Europe. Life is way to short, and they seem to enjoy it more a hell of a lot more than we do"

He had a good point. Still no excuse for how bad things are in Southern Europe, some more Economic stability could really help but he had a compelling argument. When it's all said and done, whose happier on the day they go away.

I don't know, just another perspective to think about. Unfortunately I'm just as stuck as he is; maybe more so. I was born and raised in American so my identity is more revolved around this extreme capitalistic dog eat dog work world we live in. But I try to mix in some "Mediteranean Living" as much as I could.:smokin

:lol: I had to double check the time zone as well. Do they have Mondays off or something?
Everytime i go to spain im amazed at how relaxed everyone is.. seemed like no one really knew what a days work was.. (prolly reason the country is in such economic crisis).. again though im comparing this to the american work rate. When asking a bunch of locals, i was told americans dont know how to enjoy life..spend to much time worried about financial stature.. I must say I thoroughly enjoyed that lifestyle lol

Yeah those siestas are probably a great relaxer...and it's a totally different vibe for sure, but I'd rather work 40hrs and not have like a 30% unemployment rate :lol: and have stores be open during the afternoon....I'm sure I could adjust very very quickly if I were there though

Man some of you United supporters are just way to harash in the way you deal with Rooney. First of all, SAF is to blame for all of this. He is the one who started all of this drama. If he just shut up, none of this Roone fiasco would be happening right now. Also, what does Rooney have to do for you guys to be happy, man comes on as a sub fr 30 min, gets to assist and all i read is about how he isnt playing like the old Rooney. What do u guys expect, hme to be scoring a goal every few minutes. Dude came on, had a solid performance, in fact i think he played better then the majority of players who played the full 90min.

Also, i keep on reading about United shouldnt sell Rooney to Chelsea like Arsenal did with RVP to United. You guys forget 1 thing, Arsenal tried to resign RVP, he refused to and the onl big ofer was from United. Now it seems like its really only Chelsea who r making ffers for Rooney. If United desnt sell him this season, they are most likely not gonna get anything over 10-15 mill for him. What club will make a big offer for him next season when they know in 6 months he can bu out his contract and go to any club for free.

Arsenal put in a bid for Cabaye, get rejected, leak it to Sky to broadcast to fans, "Hey, we did something!"

:lol: @ Moyes trolling Everton now with that bid.

randomly caught a NY Cosmos vs Barca match from 1984 on tv

Cosmos won 5-2
laugh.gif

Pretty cool to watch Maradona for the first time in a match instead of just youtube highlights. Dude must have had an off game, but I can never in my life imagine Messi playing a match against the NYRBs and not flat out dominating.

Apparently Barca had a rep for flopping even in 1984 according to the commentators. Dudes were still throwing themselves on the floor even 30 years ago
mean.gif

They also surprisingly had a reputation for being a tough, hard hitting side that's was known to get into brawls.

It was cool watching a match with 2 American broadcasters and no blatant homerism or stupid jock that needs his British lead to carry him.

The pitch was atrocious btw, flooded like crazy. The Cosmos looked a lot more comfortable playing on a crappy field than Barca did
laugh.gif
lol messi ain't got nothing on MARADONA            period

Well the saying in Europe goes "Americans Live to work, while Europeans work to live". At least that's what I've heard when I lived in Italy and what they say in Portugal. (maybe more of a Southern European type of thing)

When I was visiting friends in London before, I sat down and had an intense conversation with my friends older brother who worked in Finance, smart dude. We talked about American politics, money, etc. Then the conversation shifted towards my Portuguese heritage and family who still lived there (this was in the heart of the financial crisis). He said he loved Portugal, he'd visit on holiday occasionally. I explained to him how dissaponted I was with Portugal's economy and how the state of Southern Europe was in jeopardy to break away from the E.U. (Bunch of jibber-jabber).

The dude looked me in the eye and was like "Listen, us Englishmen slave away a whole year in the dark, gloom, and rain just so we can enjoy some good wine for a week or two in Southern Europe. Life is way to short, and they seem to enjoy it more a hell of a lot more than we do"

He had a good point. Still no excuse for how bad things are in Southern Europe, some more Economic stability could really help but he had a compelling argument. When it's all said and done, whose happier on the day they go away.

I don't know, just another perspective to think about. Unfortunately I'm just as stuck as he is; maybe more so. I was born and raised in American so my identity is more revolved around this extreme capitalistic dog eat dog work world we live in. But I try to mix in some "Mediteranean Living" as much as I could.
smokin.gif
I totally hear you, I made the transition from Italy to the US at 17 and have been wanting to go back since, I actually have 2 different times, but it ended up with me being broke and not being able to live the kind of lifestyle that I can here in the US. I too want to be part of that culture where work isn't the most important thing going on in a persons life, but not having dough sucks big time.

Not many young people in Souther Europe can buy their own homes, push a luxury car, and have a solid job that enables them to look fresh and not have to worry about living check to check. In my younger 20's I thought I didn't need any of that stuff and thought I just wanted to live a carefree life, but when you end up finding work over there and make a quarter of what you make over here the decision on what's actually best becomes easier to make.

I also try to incorporate Mediterranean Living into my US lifestyle, through food, media and friends, I've learned that the more people you have around you sharing in that type of lifestyle the easier it is to cope with the SAUDADE.

What Messi & co. did yesterday...disgusting.

Isco :pimp:

Squad had me worried but Marcelo crossing all game was on point.

Then:

@SlowSportsNews: Man City Team News:

James, Mills, Dunne, Distin, Thatcher, Wright-Phillips, Musampa, Barton, Bosvelt, Fowler, Macken #mcfc

And now:

@TelegraphSport: #MCFC team to start against #NUFC at the Etihad: Hart; Zabaleta, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy; Navas, Fernandinho, Toure, Silva; Dzeko, Aguero.

Man some of you United supporters are just way to harash in the way you deal with Rooney. First of all, SAF is to blame for all of this. He is the one who started all of this drama. If he just shut up, none of this Roone fiasco would be happening right now. Also, what does Rooney have to do for you guys to be happy, man comes on as a sub fr 30 min, gets to assist and all i read is about how he isnt playing like the old Rooney. What do u guys expect, hme to be scoring a goal every few minutes. Dude came on, had a solid performance, in fact i think he played better then the majority of players who played the full 90min.

Also, i keep on reading about United shouldnt sell Rooney to Chelsea like Arsenal did with RVP to United. You guys forget 1 thing, Arsenal tried to resign RVP, he refused to and the onl big ofer was from United. Now it seems like its really only Chelsea who r making ffers for Rooney. If United desnt sell him this season, they are most likely not gonna get anything over 10-15 mill for him. What club will make a big offer for him next season when they know in 6 months he can bu out his contract and go to any club for free.

Saf's fault? When has Rooney publicly stated he didn't request a transfer? He has been extremely non vocal this year. When rumors arose last year he quickly squashed them on his twitter.. This year.. Nothing . We are upset because he's acting like a spoilt child.

And people were complaining about his body language on the pitch .. I didn't hear anyone complain about his performance. In fact, if anything it showed fans that even an unhappy Wayne is still too much of a threat to sell to Chelsea

Last edited:
Man City came out HOT. Newcastle's keeper doing a great job so far. Should be 1-2 goals already.

*edit: nvm Silva header :pimp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom