The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

I can't believe this ****. Benfica was about to start the season with two loses against teams that were just relegated but these lucky bastards just scored two goals in extra time to keep that from happening. Manager just saved his job. Guess it's about time these dudes got some luck I guess :x

Porto and Barca in at 3 for those wondering.

Last edited:
Wow, Malaga's goalie Caballero (Boca Jrs repping!!!) is making some big stops... La Liga really does have the best play IMO...

Thiago out for 7 weeks as a result of an ankle injury (requiring surgery) suffered Sat against Nurnberg...

City tho :frown: Props to Cardiff those corners were magnificent.

I gotta believe Kompany would have stopped those headers :x

Last edited:
[Arsene said in the BT interview he'll sign for the defence, front and midfield now that ox and arteta are injured]

I hope that Sakho and Kondogbia are among the signings. I think we're better off having that physical presence in our midfield as opposed to Cabaye

@FFArsenal Yohan Cabaye is the likeliest arrival for Arsenal in a deal worth up to £17m (Guardian)

@MatiasGooner Bendtner could finally get #Arsenal exit with Palace and West Brom interested for £3m. [DailyMail]

Apparently Atletico Madrid have interest in Mata. I can't see Chelsea selling him, he has a better chance of being on the bench for majority of the season than being sold

Last edited:
New Chelsea lineup

pub

Moses and Schurrle at the right and left back positions? Nah

City :rofl:

Last edited:
I wish the ACB and Riot Squad could bring it like Seattle does :frown:

Man, despite the fan support Sounders aren't playing well. The keep bunching up & no one seems to be did seam....

:smh: Our worst game would come at Seattle. Sorry showing in the 2nd half. Im surprised this game hasnt been a blow out yet.

Saw this, thought it was an interesting topic and wanted to post it before I went to bed since I'll be at work all day tomorrow. I'll add my thoughts later on when I have time. I will add some quotes from it also

A year on from the introduction of 12 substitutes in Serie A.
I've always thought a bigger bench would be beneficial for youth players to get a chance and also to give managers a wider range of tactical options.
What is the verdict on how 12 subs have impacted the game in Italy?

I was against the idea of it originally, and so did some managers who refused to bring 12 subs and kept to the original 7.
But overall its been good for teams, it allows more tactical flexibility which has made for better games. Depending on how you view football of course, but personally I love tactical battles where it isn't just the standard of player that decides the outcome and the extra subs allow for more of that. With so many more opportunities for change managers have to be more wary about subs and there definitely has been a rethink by some previously sub happy managers.
With 7 subs standard thought is 1GK 2DEF 2/3Mid 1/2St on the bench, but when you can basically bring another team it gives you a lot of choices you previously didn't. Generally speaking because you can only have 7 subs, you may not have a sub LB on the bench so if your starter goes down and you slot in CB or winger, the opposition has an easy avenue to attack your inexperienced player, but when you can have your 2nd LB and bring him in it keeps the game at a more level setting.
But of course there is also problems, teams with deep squads like Juventus and now Fiorentina/Milan etc it means that it can be a lot harder for smaller teams to pick up wins. Being able to completely change your line up in a quick fashion means that for smaller and more inexperienced teams it can be very difficult to cope with, one of the main reasons Conte loved swapping from 3-5-2 to 4-3-3 mid game, it created havoc and most couldn't handle it.
As far as youth involvement I don't think its had as big an impact as you may expect, the league is getting considerably younger each year as youth in general are given a chance, but I'm yet to see young subs who wouldn't have been on the bench anyway come in and do well.
So it works well but I'm biased to the fact that it has definitely helped more than hindered us

That should help youth development- I'm sure that more youth players will get more chances than before with a system like that, as it won't be as much of a risk to have them on your bench, potentially having to leave out an experienced player that might be needed to change a game if it's going badly.

Interesting, I thought one of the main criticisms to having larger benches was that it hampers youth development because it leaves developing players as bench-warmers for the senior side, rather than playing football for the youth team/reserves.

There is that potential, but any decent manager will make sure the players get some playtime in the reserves at least if they never get first team action.
It's only five extra players on the bench- those five should be rotated with other youth prospects or more experienced reserves, if they're not getting first team minutes regularly.

Youth teams never play at the same time as senior teams. Young players take a place on the bench for the seniors and then play for the youth teams later in the week if they're still fit.

I think the 12 subs is marginally beneficial.
The youth benefit is minor, but it does exist. Several times clubs would bring in a few of their youngsters on to the bench, even though those kids would have played 2 days earlier for the Primavera squad. Still for a youngster trying to make it as a pro sitting on the bench or coming on as a 89th minute sub is a big deal. But it doesn't mean those kids will be getting anymore substantial playing time, because at the end you only get 3 subs so you still can't afford to give youngsters trial minutes like you would in Basketball for example. But this just means it doesn't really cost the team much to try and make some youngsters feel like part of the team.
It might also help managers a bit when when you don't need to explain to some players that they aren't called up. So that might help a bit I guess.
I don't really buy the deep bench of rich clubs concern mainly because clubs are limited two three subs, and even the deepest clubs in Europe can get nearly everything they need from an 18 player squad.

Really annoyed Roma are willing to sell Lamela this window. I wanted to see them make a run at it - with a midfield of DDR, Strootman, and Pjanic supporting Totti, Lamela, and Destro in attack they certainly would've challenged for a top three finish, and been great to watch while doing it. Why not take a chance at CL money, and then sell him next summer when he'll be worth even more? SMH.

Good for Spurs, though. Lamela is one of the best attackers in Italy and probably the best dribbler. Shame about Willian - would have been a great fit and made them outside contenders for the title. Felt like Roman put in a call to his oligarch buddy and arranged the deal overnight - seemingly on a whim. Probably shared a couple jokes about the good old days - kicking it with Putin and robbing the Russian people blind. How vile. :x

Roma is truly ******g up and I have to say I blame the OWNERS. 100% sure Garcia is asking himself "Why the **** did I take this job"

Back
Top Bottom